What is Chop Suey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy, that's one of my husband's favorites: 2-3 lbs if you feed it well.

I, too, grew up on both "American" chop suey (which I never could understand the reasoning of, it seemed to me to be pretty much ground beef spaghetti sauce on macaroni instead of spaghetti noodles) and what passed for Chinese in our house (pork cubes, Asian canned vegetables, and lots of fresh veggies, thickened with a corstarch slurry and served with rice and crispy noodles). SO when you said "chop suey" it was one of these two dishes.

I never heard of American Chop Suey until I read this thread. I knew that the meaning meant basically to stir fry what you have available or leftovers. I only know Chop Suey coming in one of these.

hmmm... Chop Suey was goulash in my house as a kid.

CHOP SUEY was always... ALWAYS.. from La Choy, in a can,
with icky dried crispy things on top. Dunno if Mom ever added meat...
maybe some beef slices?

I preferred the doughnut/fritter style (however, I am familiar with the other kind) but I am not able to find them or a good recipe for them lately. In fact most people have not idea what I am talking about. The last place I found them was in Georgetown (DC). I also found them in a bakery in DeMoines, Iowa. And I grew up getting them from a bakery in Virginia that has since gone out of business. Please let me know if there is a good recipe for them somewhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom