What is your deal breaker, recipe wise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if i would have to make a trip to store, for ingredients,it more than likely not be made.

I have a huge stock of spices and other ingredients, so a special trip to the store isn't going to happen unless it is something special, especially if it is an ingredient that I'll only need a fraction of. Like others said, long lists of ingredients can put me off of a new recipe. Sometimes the recipe makes the dish much too difficult, more than it needs to be. Luckily I have many, many cookbooks, not to mention the 'net, so if I'm trying something new I can usually find a simpler recipe.

I am with others on this, canned soup, packaged anything, and the recipe is a no-go for me.

Since I do a lot of baking, pudding mix, cake mix, cool whip etc.. (they end up in the oddest things) will cause me to pass over the recipe.

And again it isn't snobbery, if someone uses these ingredients, I will eat their food, but I just cannot justify putting all of those unnecessary, unneeded additives in my food when they really don't need to be there.

Last edited:
I agree with the picture being my first attraction. If it looks good, I read the ingredients. Lots of ingredients don't bother me because I like dishes like that, but the main ingredients have to be things I already like.

If there are ingredients I don't like, then I try to figure out if they can be easily omitted. If it still sounds good I might try it. I don't mind buying a few ingredients, but I have to be sure they will get used up.

As an example, I fell in love with MsMofet's Confetti Soup picture. I had most of the ingredients, and what I didn't have were things I liked, like a wild rice blend. I had been thinking of getting some, but what I saw in the stores was pretty expensive. I got some to make this recipe and now keep it on hand.

When a recipe calls for too many ingredients that I wouldn't even know where to find, or that I would spend a lot of money on only to use once maybe twice.
Or if it calls for mayonnaise/aioli and there's no good substitute.
Finally, if it's just too much to do in my tiny apartment kitchen I'll begrudgingly skip it. I'm also single so cooking something elaborate for myself is really demotivating at times.

Last edited:
Hahahahaha! I must be the only gourmand in the crowd! While I certainly enjoy those fresh ingredients, I would not turn my nose up at anything made with cream of...soup. And I freaking LOVE green bean casserole. I admit I do not use the onion things, they gross me out. I use toasted almonds instead, mmmmm! I'm a bad bad girl, I use fake cheese, cheez whiz, hot dogs, you name it, I'll try it! I just plain old love food!

My pantry is pretty well stocked as well so I don't often run across a recipe I want to try that requires something I don't have. The weather would be the deal breaker on that one though.The deal breakers for me are fussy bits. I don't like to fuss with presentation. I HAVE painted chocolate on leaves and done all those fussy things, but really...its about the taste for me. I don't need it to look pretty as long as it tastes good. I'll even eat Dirt n Worms! :rolleyes:

Too many ingredients, especially if I don't have them in the house and are only available in quantities that I would never use up. For example, I have had an open, partially used bottle of pomegranite molasses in my pantry for over 4 years. I had a hell of a time finding it, and I can no longer find, or even remember, the recipe for which I bought it.

Alix said:
Hahahahaha! I must be the only gourmand in the crowd! While I certainly enjoy those fresh ingredients, I would not turn my nose up at anything made with cream of...soup. And I freaking LOVE green bean casserole. I admit I do not use the onion things, they gross me out. I use toasted almonds instead, mmmmm! I'm a bad bad girl, I use fake cheese, cheez whiz, hot dogs, you name it, I'll try it! I just plain old love food!

My pantry is pretty well stocked as well so I don't often run across a recipe I want to try that requires something I don't have. The weather would be the deal breaker on that one though.The deal breakers for me are fussy bits. I don't like to fuss with presentation. I HAVE painted chocolate on leaves and done all those fussy things, but really...its about the taste for me. I don't need it to look pretty as long as it tastes good. I'll even eat Dirt n Worms! :rolleyes:

Alix! A woman after my own heart! I will proudly use cream of something soup, dried packets of crunchy stuff, Velveeta, and hot dogs! My food may look like swill at times, but it tastes good. I also use low sodium and low fat ingredients, except for bacon.

Too many ingredients, complicated cooking methods, too many steps are a turnoff for me.

Dawgluver - YAY! Glad to know I'm not alone in my "swill" habits. Its not that I can't or don't make gourmet meals, its just not the only thing I do. I have kids and a husband to please after all.

(One of their favorite meals is chicken thighs that are cooked in a mixture of ketchup, brown sugar and salsa. Sweet and tangy chicken...they LOVE it)

Too many ingredients.
No Photo
Sea Food
Ingredients I don't have and will never use again
Too large quantity.

I never noticed you don't eat sea food, Patty. My sister is very limited on the sea food she will eat. And of course we grew up eating the same things, but she also likes her meats cooked beyond well done, too.
Might make an interesting topic; if you and your sibling's tastes are polar opposites. I wonder how common that is?

Another interesting topic that came across my mind while reading through this thread is whether or not how often you eat out plays a part in the ingredients you use when you do cook at home. If you only cook one or two meals a week and the rest of the time you are grabbing take out or eating in a restaurant, maybe you tend to be pickier about the ingredients you use to cook with. It seems to me it would be just the opposite though, unless you are going through the restaurants' garbage making sure they aren't cutting any corners, lol.

I never noticed you don't eat sea food, Patty. My sister is very limited on the sea food she will eat. And of course we grew up eating the same things, but she also likes her meats cooked beyond well done, too.
Might make an interesting topic; if you and your sibling's tastes are polar opposites. I wonder how common that is?

Another interesting topic that came across my mind while reading through this thread is whether or not how often you eat out plays a part in the ingredients you use when you do cook at home. If you only cook one or two meals a week and the rest of the time you are grabbing take out or eating in a restaurant, maybe you tend to be pickier about the ingredients you use to cook with. It seems to me it would be just the opposite though, unless you are going through the restaurants' garbage making sure they aren't cutting any corners, lol.

My sibs do not cook, they warm up or fast food it. The least processed foods in their houses are salt and pepper, only.

My sister cooks, Fi, and is pretty good at it, but we sure do have different tastes.

PrincessFiona60 said:
My sibs do not cook, they warm up or fast food it. The least processed foods in their houses are salt and pepper, only.

My sister can't even boil water. She only eats out. Baby bro married an organic freak. In the summer, they have produce rotting on the window sill.

Well, I guess I am like your sister, my seafood is limited. I see you starting 2 new threads in the near future. Another one (may have been done, not sure) is what did you grow up eating and changed as soon as you left home. Example- We ate Margarine and I switched to Butter. We ate Miracle Whip and my sister switched to Mayo. Ok, that is 3 new threads.:chef:

Last edited:
My first deciding factor is if msmofet is the source of the recipe. She makes the most fabulous meals and provides the clearest instruction and methods that can be used. She's a kitchen professional and one fine cook! If she were cooking for me every day, I'd look like Moby Tim, the whale man, and wouldn't be able to clear doorways!

I guess my "deal breaker" would be the degree of difficulty in making the recipe. Those that have "stir constantly for 45 minutes" are immediately discarded.

One pot dishes or slow cooker meals are my favorites. Simple to make usually and easy to clean up from.

I use the "Fasta Pasta" gadget and have to tell you all, it has impressed me in it's simplicity. For a person who cooks mostly for only myself, it's handy as can be. Veggies, taters, pasta...all done in the microwave and done very well.

Also, the Presto Pizza Pizzazz is awesome for anything that is usually put under a broiler. Using the right tool for the right job can sometimes make the job much easier.
re-direct me to that lasagna and garlic bread recipe if anyone knows the thread. Thanks much

. If you only cook one or two meals a week and the rest of the time you are grabbing take out or eating in a restaurant, maybe you tend to be pickier about the ingredients you use to cook with. It seems to me it would be just the opposite though, unless you are going through the restaurants' garbage making sure they aren't cutting any corners, lol.

that's why we are picky about where we eat out, too. i hate chain places like the olive garden, where i've seen the big bladder of sauces that were produced in some central factory for distribution to their restaurants. their excuse is that it provides for uniform quality, but in the end it's no different than using canned soup.

Back
Top Bottom