What is your favorite non expensive dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought some pork shoulder on sale at Fred Meyers yesterday.

Came home and cut in into chunks, marinated it all day in EVOO, Garlic, Onions, salt, pepper, lots of lemon juice and oregano.

I added some EVOO to a fry pan and fried it all up.

Made a Greek Salad
and Fried some pita bread in EVOO, salt, pepper, garlic and oregano.

It was a pretty inexpensive dinner and VERY GOOD!

It is extra virgin olive oil.

I love beans....wonderful beans!

Butterbeans, pinto beans, red beans, navy beans, black beans.......!

texasgirl said:
I know this will sound stupid to some of you, but, What is EVOO??

If you ever watch 30 Minute Meals, the show's notorious hostess says that all the time. I know cringe everytime that acronym pops up.

But my favorite inexpensive meal is either chili or pizza

A big pot of pintos and just a basic cornbread in the winter and a big pot of fresh green beans, onions, and bacon with the same cornbread in the summer.

choclatechef said:

Chocolatechef, I'm with you there! Just throw in a nice hunk of cornbread & I'm a happy camper!

:) The 15 bean soup package jazzed up with ham in soup and shredded cheese on top.

But what could be cheaper than a good box of mac and cheese with more cheese mixed in hence my cholesterol problem.
Im with with you crewsk I love any legume available.
:LOL: Especially with more cheese.
I LOVE CHEESE!

jpmcgrew said:
:) The 15 bean soup package jazzed up with ham in soup and shredded cheese on top.

But what could be cheaper than a good box of mac and cheese with more cheese mixed in hence my cholesterol problem.
Im with with you crewsk I love any legume available.
:LOL: Especially with more cheese.
I LOVE CHEESE!

I have to have cheese on everything too!!!:LOL:

Wow.......i started a thread many months ago with a expense limit and there were some wonderful ideas.....you may look that thread up also.

Off my head I'd pick:
Homemade Chicken Noodles & Mashed Potatoes...my favorite
2nd the Goulash
Spagetti
2nd the beans & cornbread
SOS

Ok.....thats all I can think of right now.

Otter said:
A great big pot of chili - inexpensive and lasts 3 days minimum.

I don't know about you, but a big pot of chilli costs me about $30 to make :blink:

One of my favorite cheap meals, that takes about 8 minutes from the time you crack the first can til the time you eat is creamed tuna on toast. Open a can of cream of mushroom soup, add two cans of tuna, lightly salt and pepper and add milk to change the consistency if necessary. Bring to a quick boil, remove from heat and serve over toast. Can't beat it for time and money.

I love a big pot of crowder peas cooked with ham, bacon or smoked sausage and onion, with cornbread on the side.

My "ham salad" is a good one, too. I grind a pound of balogna, a pound of any hard cheese, and 8-10 hard-boiled eggs, then mix together with Miracle Whip, mustard and sweet pickle relish. It's good as a snack on crackers, or as a sandwich, toasted or not.

Then there's the ubiquitous SOS...I used chipped beef, mushrooms, peas and my own white sauce, and serve it on bisquits. My family loves it.

A turkey on sale is a great bargain...I can feed a family of four for a week with a 14 lb. bird.

Cheap and fast is a roasted chicken with oven roasted potatoes. Whole chickens are fairly inexpensive. I normally buy them when they are on sale and leave them in my freezer.

Butter, herbs, garlic and lemon and olive oil are always in my pantry. I wash the chicken and pat it dry and make an herb butter with butter, herbs of my choice, finely chopped garlic and lemon or lime zest. I smear it over the chicken. I stuff it with the lemons or limes that I have left over from zesting and leftover herb stems. Bake it in an oven at 400 degrees.

While the Chicken is being roasted I wash some poatotes (Idaho ones are fine since I get them for less than 2 dollars for an entire bag). Scrub them really well and cut them into small cubes. Toss with herbs, olive oil and lots of garlic and bake alongside with the chicken.

In less than a hour you have a great meal that is easy on the pocket. I think with everything added it's under 10 dollars and can feed a family of 4 atleast in my house because I have younger kids.

choclatechef said:

Me too chef, espically my dad's beans..Simple, easy, thrifty,:) and yummy...serve em up wit a green salad and lots of warm buttered french bread...EMmmmmm:)
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom