What is your favorite supplementary? (I mean sauces, flavour...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msalper

Senior Cook
Which flavour completes the other and create good taste?

I'm not sure again if I can tell my thoughts...
Sometimes we use more than one flavour, herbs... This is the point that I want to reach... These flavours together may not be delicious sometimes, and but sometimes it can be...

just for a sample: mint and garlic together :ermm: or sage and basil....

Last edited:
Sage and thyme with poultry, fish, or pork. I want to cry when I realize that it's too ****ed hot to cook when the herb garden is full-blown, then I want the herbs in winter when they're unavailable. Have not had luck with drying herbs (mostly because I've lived in humid areas ... they mold before drying!!). Made a ton of pesto already, but am trying to come up in my imagination with a sage/thyme paste. Sage, thyme, garlic and olive oil? Something I can freeze and have for the holidays. Nothing like sage and thyme on your turkey, and in your tourtiere!!! Oh, dear, I think this year there's some savory also (my herb garden is out of control, I really am not sure what is out there after spending a couple of weeks avoiding a hornets' nest!!)

I'm a bit of an experimenter when it comes to flavour-matching, especially when it comes to herbs. I have long lists of 'what goes with what', but I think you need an open mind and a brave heart to look outside the square.

So, I like strawberries sprinkled with pepper; fruit salad with a syrup made from lemon balm or sage; a custard with basil, or bay, or mint to serve with a Christmas pudding; watermelon with chilli; beetroot or broccoli with dill; potatoes with tarragon. And so on.

I like chicken with raspberry, and ham or pork with rhubarb, pork with passionfruit or cherries, and other unusual combinations, too.

You should dehydrate the herbs in your microwave, it is the best application for drying them. A dehydrator doesn't have the capacity of heat to dry them fast enough in high humidity but the nuker sure does!

In the microwave, just lay down some paper toweling and then the herbs, either individually spread out(like basil leaves), or in a group(like dill), then set it on high and go in 30 second increments. This should take 1-2 minutes maximum. Let them cool on the paper toweling and walla! I store mine in cleaned out peanut butter jars or koolaid tubs, they last nicely through the winter.

Are you talking about just combining herbs, spices, and seasonings or a food item + herbs, spices, and seasonings? If it's the later, then here are some examples:

Citrus and Seafood
Olives and Chicken
Balsamic and Lamb
Truffle Oil and Anything
Red Wine and Beef
Bacon and Shellfish

If you're talking about the former, then it's a little more difficult to answer. You can combine a majority of different herbs in a dish as long as you control how much you add of each so that the flavor comes out ok. Off hand though, I wouldn't or don't combine:

Rosemary and Basil
Cilantro and Sage
Shiso with mostly anything else
Lavender with mostly anything else

Some flavors I like together

Vanilla- Ginger, Orange, Mint, Basil
Balsamico- Basil, Chipotle, Ricotta Salata and, of course Parmigiana Reggiano
Gorgonzola (dolce)- Strawberries, chocolate, champagne, smoked shellfish
I really have a huge list and it grows daily.

I almost have tried above mixes...Usually they give good taste together... Nowadays I'm searching for a very special taste with herbs or flavours...

msalper said:
I almost have tried above mixes...Usually they give good taste together... Nowadays I'm searching for a very special taste with herbs or flavours...

Look for a specific cuisine that you are not familiar with and undoubtebly you will find new herbs and flavors for experimentation.

basil and fennel for sweet with tomato
rosemary and safron for savory tomato
tomato and garlic with lamb
lemmon onion garlic rosemary with lamb or chicken
tomato safron and orange with fish
orange and onion with fish
onion and mushroom with beef
and on it can go. some of these may sound weird but they are classics

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom