What is your favourite Olive Oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karadekoolaid

Head Chef
For once, I'm going to ask a serious question.

Having just experienced 2 Xmas bazaars, I was left with the distinct feeling that everyone looks for something NEW. 3 items were particularily successful; a hot garlic sauce, an Indian condiment called Kasundi, and a neat little concoction I called "Christmas Chutney"!
Next year I want to import some decent, but not TOOOOO expensive, Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Most decent brands here sell at about $10 a bottle (500cc, 750cc or 1lt), but it's always the same old stuff; El Gallo, La Española, Monaco, Colavita, Di Cecco, Bertorelli. I want to find something different. It could be a little more expensive, it could just be a little out of the way ( Turkish or Greek, for example). Project for this year, then - learn all about olive oil.

And that is where you can all help, with your vast experience in things culinary. Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, brand names that you love?

Clive - when we go to Crete, we always pick up a supply of this oil. My husband loves it as a dipping oil! Unfortunately, we've run out of this oil, and I've never seen it on the shelves here, so stocking up will have to await our next visit :)

http://kanakis.rethymnon.com/

Edited to add: looks like they are trying to expand their overseas markets, so you may be able to cut a deal with them!

Carluccio's restaurants now have shops attached to many of the branches (don't know if you remember him? Great Italian chef based in London) He sells a wonderful Ligurian olive oil - Here's info http://www.carluccios.com/products/product.asp?func=show&id=155

Last edited:
Bertolli extra virgin is just fine with me. I see no need to spend a million bucks on fancy olive oil. After all, you aren't deep frying in it (I certainly hope not!) But I really don't really care if it's extra virgin since I mostly use olive oil for sauteeing onions, garlic, etc. and which press it came from really doesn't matter.

Fraidy

Last edited:
As you could predict, I'm sure, you'll hear from me and from Boufa that Greek oil can be absolutely superb. Mind you, I'm not necessarily a believer in name brands, so while I'm happy to provide you with some I've tried and am happy with, I need also to say that names aren't the key to getting quality oil.

Right now, for instance, we buy an oil that Lidl (huge German chain of ultra-discount supermarkets) private labels. It's significantly cheaper than many other oils, and yet it's lovely oil ...

Please do consider the Greek oils. My understanding of the domination of the U.S. market by the Italians is that it's a ... well, a Sopranos thing. Having tasted oil from both countries, I truly don't believe it's a quality issue.

Ayrton said:
Please do consider the Greek oils. My understanding of the domination of the U.S. market by the Italians is that it's a ... well, a Sopranos thing. Having tasted oil from both countries, I truly don't believe it's a quality issue.

:LOL: I don't have cable or satellite television but I've heard of The Sopranos and it doesn't sound like something I want to see.

I've had Spanish olive oil and it's delicious. Greek, I'm sure it's also great. But I'm not really sure I care where the olives are grown, could be southern California for all I care, as long as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I don't use it for everything, you see.

I have the same feeling about balsamic vinegar. It's not "all that" in my book so I'm not going to spend $50 for a bottle when I can get one for $5.

Fraidy

FraidKnot said:
:LOL: I don't have cable or satellite television but I've heard of The Sopranos and it doesn't sound like something I want to see.
What you've heard, then, is that it's a violent show, right? It is that, sometimes, but it's also warm and funny and very real with wonderful, full characters and excellent acting. (Gosh, is it obvious I'm a devoted fan?!)

FraidKnot said:
I've had Spanish olive oil and it's delicious. Greek, I'm sure it's also great. But I'm not really sure I care where the olives are grown, could be southern California for all I care, as long as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I don't use it for everything, you see.
Agreed. Frankly, olive oil produced from wherever olives can be grown is potentially good oil.

FraidKnot said:
I have the same feeling about balsamic vinegar. It's not "all that" in my book so I'm not going to spend $50 for a bottle when I can get one for $5.
May I just point out that most likely the $5 bottle is imitation and the $50 bottle is the real deal?

I'd LOVE to buy balsamic vinegar at 5 pounds a bottle, never mind 5 dollars... But, like Ayrton, I suspect it's not balsamic from Modena...

PS I love the Sopranos, too..... One of the best US series currently on UK TV.:)

I regularly use Bertolli VOO for cooking purposes. I've not made dipping sauces or dressings, but I would certainly use EVOO for those. I know Bertolli makes EVOO, and I would likely give it a try, but I would also like to try some of the more exotic EVOOs to see what the differences might be.

I went with Bertolli because it was affordable, but I didn't want to go with the cheapest.

When we visit any of the warmer Mediterranean countries we try to bring back some local olive oil. Some are just the pressings from the local cooperative - and are sold in assorted styles of bottle, often without much info on the labels. We have seldom been disappointed.

I like green, peppery tasting oils. My husband prefers deeper flavoured ones. There are varieties to suit all palates. I particularly like Tuscan and Ligurian oils from Italy. I love some of the Spanish oils and many of the Greek oils, mainly from the islands. One that I am not too keen on is a Corfiote (from Corfu) EVO... it was almost rancid to my taste buds, but locals seem to adore it!

Ayrton said:
May I just point out that most likely the $5 bottle is imitation and the $50 bottle is the real deal?

Referring to Balsamic vinegar, I really couldn't care less if it's imitation or not. I don't use vinegar for much. I don't like raw greens so having balsamic vinegar is just sort of like having a decoration in my kitchen. I don't see what all the fuss is about. 25 years ago if someone mentioned balsamic vinegar most people I know would have said "Huh?" :LOL:

Fraidy

Well, now that Ayrton made it impossible for me not to participate in this thread, I feel I must say something but it is really hard to make it as clear cut as Clive might have have wanted it.

To begin with, the safest way of importing good EVOO is what Ishbel has discovered, ie. buy it during trips to the EVOOland and carry it back home. Apart from this, things can become complicated and the end result dubious.

The obvious option would be to buy a name brand, often packaged in an attractive bottle with impressive labelling, etc. Inevitably the cost would be high and the claim of virginity rather unconvincing. Another option might be to buy an inexpensive but well-known brand. Unfortunately, I would seriously doubt that the oil in the bottle comes actually from olives, for the most part anyway. I do have in mind a certain brand belonging in this category that is often mentioned in this forum but let me not go beyond this in pointing fingers.

I am more familiar with the EVOO scene in Greece. As a result, I do have a few pointers for Clive to consider. The big exporters are offering EVOO of suspect quality. If smaller producers can be found (it should not be too difficult if one searches in the internet using search terms such as "Ministry of Agriculture, Greece, etc.), one would have to content with highly seasonal availability ie. from December to April more or less with nothing available during the off-season. Even if the quality is excellent, the character of EVOO may vary as exporters rarely ever export olive oil produced by them but only olive oil they can obtain from individual growers.

From past experiences, importing EVOO can be exasperating due to the fact that continuity of supplies and stable quality/nature of the EVOO imported are hard (actual extremely hard) to achieve. That is to say, best of luck Clive, I'm sure you'll need it!

Last edited:
Ah yes! About the 'Soprano thing.' Do you know that Italy exports more olive oil than it produces? This is from official EU records and not a joke. Think about it.

What the ****! Let me reply to my own post once. Perhaps the difference between the amount of Italian olive oil exported and that produced is the well-known inexpensive name brand of olive oil implied earlier.

Clive, as you learn about olive oils I hope you share the knowledge. I have been surprised to discover that I prefer Sultan, an inexpensive Turkish brand of extra virgin, to any that I've tried so far. There is a small middle eastern market in the neighborhood that has a fair selection of brands from the eastern Mediterranean. I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

Ishbel said:
One that I am not too keen on is a Corfiote (from Corfu) EVO... it was almost rancid to my taste buds, but locals seem to adore it!
Right you are! During a recent trip to Corfu, I was surprised to see that their olives are tiny in size. This means that for each individual olive, the ratio of flesh to pit is subminimal. Consequently, the oil produced from pressing such olives will have a very significant portion of it coming from the pit. The latter is basically pomace, which is thick, cloudy, and distinctly unpleasant in smell as well as taste.

I do believe that a significant contributing factor to the size/quality of these olives is the fact that the trees did not seem to be properly kept, that is, they were not pruned for years and probably they were not fertilized either.

I'm no olive oil expert, but I regularly purchase a Greek olive oil from a restaurant supply warehouse owned by Greek restaurateurs. The brand is Lefas, it is EVOO, and has a good, fresh olive flavor. It's fairly inexpensive, and everyone who tastes it, loves it. I use it for cooking, salads, and with herbs for dipping. They only carry it in a 3 litre can. FWIW.

bullseye, your source of olive oil is a more credible one than the supermarket shelves. The same can be said for skilletlicker's small middle-eastern market.

Just got in, just logged on, and am fascinated by your replies so far.
THANKS!! To you all:chef:
Now let me try and clear up some doubts/questions/queries.

Bigdog: I have no objection to Bertolli either. However - it already exists here in Venezuela, which is why I want a NEW brand. I'll be ruthlessly honest and admit that this is a commercial venture; although if the oil is really good, I might just be able to create a cult!!
Ishbel: that's the sort of wondrous item I'm seeking. Something off the beaten track!
Ayrton/Boufa: Greek oils are definitely an option, in my book. I'm not particularily worried if I manage to import one lot - then never do it again. The important thing is innovation,opportunity,creativity!
skilletlicker: Yep - I saw some Turkish olive oil on the internet yesterday. I'm sure there are some excellent options around. It's a question of trying them!
Fraidknot: People over here will go bananas over any new product. It's a strange phenomenon to me, but that's how it is. The poorest kids in the slums here run around in $200 a pair Nikes, but eat cornbread three times a day. Wierd, but true. Anything new is purchased with a frenzy - and that's what I'm betting on!

Back
Top Bottom