What is your "Signature Dish?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By far my New Year's Day version of French "Cassoulet". It's definitely my own recipe, & has gotten nothing but raves over many years of making it.

Chicken and dumplings

I think it would be my chicken and dumplings. I simmer chicken in broth with diced carrot and celery. While the chicken cooks, I roll out dumplings made with all-purpose flour, an egg, scant cup of broth and lots of black pepper. Remove the chicken to let set. I cut the dumplings into 1 x 1.5 inch dumplings. Drop in the dumplings one at a time. Let them simmer until done stirring so they do not stick. Remove bones, skin, etc. from the chicken. Tear the meat into spoon-sized pieces. Add to the dumplings, stir and serve. Salt to taste.

This is so good on cold winter nights. It's not fancy, but is so good. It can be made with left over turkey as well.

~Kathleen

What's the missing item?

"Dawn Fresh" Mushroom Steak Sauce by Georgio. It doesn't exist in my area of Montana. However, if I saute' the mushrooms with a bit of garlic and butter I am so very close to the flavor...and my recipe is using ALL fresh ingredients. I've also stopped using jarred pimientos and just dice up fresh red peppers for my recipe.

Please post a recipe. Please-Please.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for reminding me Goodweed!! Someone else on here asked me for it back in January & I completely forgot! For some reason it's not on my computer, so I'll have to type it up for you guys. Easy peasy, seasonal, & delicious! (And even sort of healthy - lol!)

I'm thinking...meanwhile, i'm sooooooo going to make your Chile Verde, kayelle! Thanks for the recipe :)
I'm still thinking.

(By the way,where are you kayelle? Hope you're kicking up your heels this Fourth of July)

Attachments

• TheGreatKarnac.jpg
    TheGreatKarnac.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 185
Pizza is what I am known for in these parts. Depending on the party I will either make the dough from scratch at the party or I will make and bake before the party. I make the sauce which is seasoned with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg.

I have a rule that the party planners have to have the first 5 pizza orders when I get there. After that it is on the fly and what I feel like. It makes for a very fun party.

2 things: Souffles and Pressed Sandwiches.
Savory souffles for cool weather meals and in warmer seasons, sandwiches filled with a variety of things including grilled eggplant, red peppers, sundried tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and smoked meats. These are great in a picnic basket and a favorite with friends and family.

I finally thought of my bestest ever signature dish. It's a little off-season so it wasn't coming to me but the holidays will be here before we know it. It's my Thanksgiving Stuffing that NOone makes like I do even though the ingredients are very close to traditional :)...not that yours is not just as good but it's just not like mine ;). I have to make enough to feed an army so everyone can take home an extra large ziploc bag of it. It's got a few secrets that bring out flavor and texture...BIGtime.

Royal Danish Pot Roast

This is a very special pot roast that can be served to your most particular guests. It appeals equally to the finicky gourmet and to the meat and potatoes crowd. The aroma while cooking is amazing. If you don't agree that this is the best pot roast recipe ever then I'll be very surprised.

It makes a really flavorful gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes and chilled whole cranberry sauce.

2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
4 pound boneless beef Rump Roast, Chuck Roast, or other nice boneless beef roast.
(note: You might want to double the following ingredients because the gravy is so wonderful)
1 chopped onion
3 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon Molasses
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 Cups beef broth (canned or fresh - also can use beef bouillon)
1 Large Bay Leaf
6 Anchovy filets canned (these add great flavor and aren’t recognizable in the sauce when finished - do not omit them - you might hate anchovies by themselves but you will love them in this recipe - they are the flavor booster and secret ingredient)
1 Teaspoon whole black peppercorns crushed and tied in cheesecloth

Preheat the oven to 350°. Melt the butter in a heavy casserole with a tight fitting lid. Add the meat and brown on all sides over moderately high heat. This will take about 10 or 15 minutes and the meat should be very well browned. Remove the meat and set aside. Add the onions to the pan and brown them but don’t burn. Off heat, add the flour, syrup, vinegar, broth, bay leaf, anchovies, and peppercorns. Stir until blended then return the meat to the pot. Bring to a boil on top of the stove. Then cover and place in the lower 1/3rd of the preheated oven. Roast for about 3 hours until very tender. Regulate heat so that liquid barely simmers.
When tender transfer the meat to a heated platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Skim any fat from the surface of the sauce. You should have a very flavorful gravy. If too thin and lacking flavor boil it down to concentrate.

My signature dish.. My roasted pork, potatoes carrots onions on coals.
That and my Chili.

I finally thought of my bestest ever signature dish. It's a little off-season so it wasn't coming to me but the holidays will be here before we know it. It's my Thanksgiving Stuffing that NOone makes like I do even though the ingredients are very close to traditional :)...not that yours is not just as good but it's just not like mine ;). I have to make enough to feed an army so everyone can take home an extra large ziploc bag of it. It's got a few secrets that bring out flavor and texture...BIGtime.

Please, please share. Anybody who's been on DC for a while knows that I can make almost anything I want to, and from nearly anywhere in the world, as long as I've tasted it before. But stuffing (dressing) that is as good as my Mom, or Grandparents made, for some reason, eludes me. Mine comes out Ok. But the savory bread dressing of my childhood was my absolutely favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal, followed of course by the sweet potatoes, and rutabaga. my turkey, on the other hand, I've got down to a science.:D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed...I don't measure anymore for my stuffing recipe and I make a huge amount but I'll post the recipe as soon as I find my original when I used to cook for fewer. :)

WOO HOO mollyanne........we might just have to have a stuffing throwdown!!
MY STUFFING IS THE BEST!! Well, maybe just this side of the Rocky Mountians. My husband wanted to know just the other day why we can only have my stuffing over the holidays. Do share, Darlin' !!

I make a mean bread dressing. I learned some things here on DC that I feel change an ordinary dressing to one that is pretty darn good. It's traditional but I do NOT use dry bread crutons. I make my bread I use 2 loaves of white and one of wheat sometimes 2 lots of butter and chicken stock, chopped onion, sauteed mushrooms, a little garlic, celery,fresh parsley, poultry seasoning. My gang love it.I feel that the homemade bread makes the difference. I do not toast it therefore I don't need a lot of stock, but it turns out great.
kades

TRADITIONAL THANKSGIVING STUFFING:

Okay...can't find the exact amounts...probably never wrote them down?
Warning: Only eat this once a year...it's THAT fattening ;)!

Here are the ingredients with approximate amounts for an army (to give you an idea, my mixing bowl is 18" in diameter :rolleyes:. I feed about a dozen people with plenty to take home with them:

INGREDIENTS:

2 days before Thanksgiving:

18-24 homemade Southern Buttermilk Biscuits (or Sam's bulk quantity comes really close which is what I use)
2-3 8X8 pans of homemade Cornbread (or 2-3 Jiffy box mix which is what I use)

(basically half biscuits and half cornbread)

Break into crumbled large chunks, lay out on paper towels for 2 days to dry out. Cover with paper towels.

Thanksgiving morning:

8 Hard-Boiled Eggs chopped (or hard-cooked...i saw that thread...lol)
1 Full Large Fryingpan of Sauteed Onions and Celery (maybe about 4 cups each?) in LOTS of Butter until clear (i use Earth Balance to make this all healthy LOL). Season with about a TBSP of Poultry Seasoning and Pepper to taste.

Dissolve 9 Wyler's Chicken Bouillon Cubes in about 6 Cups of water
(3 cubes per 2 cups water because this also is your salt so I make it more concentrated than jar directions...plus it adds tons of flavor)

(or you can do half bouillon and half chicken stock)

And then I sometimes add more of this liquid until the consistency is NOT "mooshy" but is a nice and moist consistency.

Fluff it all up together with your clean hands in a large mixing bowl and add more Poultry Seasoning to taste (sprinkle generously). Don't add salt because the chicken bouillon cubes are very salty. Don't moosh it! You don't want a hard clump of moosh!

Salt the cavity of the BIGGEST bird you can find and stuff it lightly...don't moosh I said ;). Put the leftover amount in casserole dishes.

Just a heads up...I really am flexible with the amount of chickenbouillon/chickenstock. I really eyeball it...must be moist...did I mention not too mooshy? tsktsk

Now...my gravy and mashed potatoes is another fav of the fam :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom