What makes casserole, casserole and what makes stew, stew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A hot dish is one the includes a can of creamed soup, a starch (noodles), and ground beef or other type of protein (tuna). Started on the stove top, goes in the oven. That would be the MN-ND-WI definition.

A casserole is a one-pot dish where the ingredients are mixed together and then put in the oven.

A stew has a "gravy" of sorts, is thicker than a soup, and can be simmered on the stovetop, in the crockpot, or cooked in the oven at a lower temperature (low and slow) than a casserole, which is usually cooked at 350.
But the OP is in The UK and things are different here. If I was invited to share a casserole I would be expecting boeuf bouguignon, not mac 'n cheese

Last edited:
Casserole was originally the pan / dish. The term did not show up in and English language dictionary (I want to say Webster's) to mean the food inside of the pan until the 1950s. I think it was 1954, but it might have been 1958. I don't have time to search for the post in which I originally wrote that re: hotdish vs. casserole as terms and probably has links to the references on which I relied. I'm pretty sure it was probably a LeCreuset casserole dish (wink).

Last edited:
I generally braise stews, pot roast etc in the oven because it heats more evenly and avoids scorching
The plus factor of having the stew on top of the stove is that you can add certain vegetables at a later time i.e. so that it does not overcook too much, for instance green veg.

You could also do this with a casserole but not too often else it would make the heat fluctuate too much, i.e. with constant removal from oven.

The benefit from a casserole (I find) is that it doesn't have to incorporate potatoes necessarily but these can be baked alongside it.

Last edited:
The plus factor of having the stew on top of the stove is that you can add certain vegetables at a later time i.e. so that it does not overcook too much, for instance green veg.

Yes, but one can simply open the oven door and add short-cooking vegetables later.

For me, the benefit of even heat and no scorching means pretty much always braising in the oven.

My Irish Stew is baked completely in the oven. No stove top at all, not even browning the stew meat, and yet I get wonderfully browned and flavorful meat. I use a Dutch oven without the lid.
To me, a casserole is baked in a shallow dish, is homogenous in texture and prominently features some sort of starch such as rice, potatoes, noodles, dumplings. But this is just my opinion.

My Irish Stew is baked completely in the oven. No stove top at all, not even browning the stew meat, and yet I get wonderfully browned and flavorful meat. I use a Dutch oven without the lid.
To me, a casserole is baked in a shallow dish, is homogenous in texture and prominently features some sort of starch such as rice, potatoes, noodles, dumplings. But this is just my opinion.

The problem with this discussion is that when you have an eclectic membership, the variety of what can be called "casseroles" is endless. I'd call a chicken pot pie a casserole. Others would call it a stew. I've seen stew's with potatoes and dumplings that made for a prominently featured starch, yet they are still stews - or sometimes not even stew, but soup.

Even the term "casserole" is relatively new for me. When I was growing up, they were always "hotdishes", and a casserole was the vehicle that a hotdish was baked in.

And then there's deep dish pizza... what the heck is that???

The problem with this discussion is that when you have an eclectic membership, the variety of what can be called "casseroles" is endless. I'd call a chicken pot pie a casserole. Others would call it a stew. I've seen stew's with potatoes and dumplings that made for a prominently featured starch, yet they are still stews - or sometimes not even stew, but soup.

Even the term "casserole" is relatively new for me. When I was growing up, they were always "hotdishes", and a casserole was the vehicle that a hotdish was baked in.

And then there's deep dish pizza... what the heck is that???

I'd call a chicken pot pie a pie.

"Hotdish" is a regional name for a casserole. Which is the name of both the vessel and its contents.

Well I'm glad that's all decided then.

A casserole is a casserole unless it is something else and then it is isn't.

I think.

Are lasagna, moussaka and baked ziti casseroles?:ROFLMAO:

stirpot.gif
eusa_naughty.gif

Yup... lasagna casserole, moussaka casserole, ziti casserole, because they're all baked in a casserole dish.;) Simple.
Doesn't a casserole dish have a lid though? Lasagnas are open baked as are the 2 other dishes you mention.

Italians would be waving their hands to hear a lasagna be called a lasagna casserole! :ohmy: Mamma mia!!
780422031.gif

Last edited:
I'd call a chicken pot pie a pie.

Ones I've had were made in a casserole. The last recipe I made was done in a 4" deep casserole, not a pie pan.

"Hotdish" is a regional name for a casserole. Which is the name of both the vessel and its contents.

As I said, not when and where I grew up. "Casserole" was the cookware, and "hotdish" was the contents (one of my favorites Mom always called called "Aunt May's Hotdish" because we got the recipe from my Aunt May). And it wasn't just my family, it seemed to be standard usage in the parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin where I spent my childhood back in the 1950's.

Doesn't a casserole dish have a lid though? Lasagnas are open baked as are the 2 other dishes you mention.

Italians would be waving their hands to hear a lasagna be called a lasagna casserole! :ohmy: Mamma mia!!
780422031.gif

We have at least a couple of casseroles without lids (and not because they got broken :LOL: )

Last edited:

780422031.gif

Nope, that would be a "covered casserole" with a lid or foil. Directions will tell you to either cover, or leave it uncovered. Well, actually if it doesn't say to cover it, you don't.

Ones I've had were made in a casserole. The last recipe I made was done in a 4" deep casserole, not a pie pan.

I have a problem with defining a dish by the container it's cooked in. If the dish has a filling and a crust, it's a pie, even if it's in a casserole dish. Just my opinion.

As I said, not when and where I grew up. "Casserole" was the cookware, and "hotdish" was the contents (one of my favorites Mom always called called "Aunt May's Hotdish" because we got the recipe from my Aunt May). And it wasn't just my family, it seemed to be standard usage in the parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin where I spent my childhood back in the 1950's.

You're saying what I'm saying, "hotdish" is a regional name for casseroles. You mention Minnesota and Wisconsin where "hotdish" is standard. Wikipedia adds North Dakota.

It's fairly standard in other parts of the US to refer to the cookware as a casserole dish as well as what's in the cookware (when the contents are like a hotdish).

We have at least a couple of casseroles without lids (and not because they got broken :LOL: )

I have a 13"x9" casserole dish. We use it for cakes, brownies, lasagna and casseroles/hotdishes. I wouldn't call the cakes, brownies or lasagna casseroles.

Back
Top Bottom