What New Recipes Are You Trying This Month?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
I usually make a list of new recipes to try, but tonight I realized the last time I listed anything new was in January. So to get back on track, I've got 7 new recipes listed for April that I haven't tried before. I may not get to them all or I may add a few more.

Pumpkin Zeppole

Fried Cabbage and Bacon

Roasted Chicken Drumsticks

Sesame Chicken Skillet

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken and Pineapple

Slow Cooker Steak and Potaotes

Beef, Bean, and Beer Chili

Sometimes I'm trying new foods and sometimes I'm trying a new method of cooking. In my case, it's always a crapshoot, but it's always fun.

So what are your new recipes for the month?

I know I'm going to mix up some of RPcookin's sweet pickle relish and jalapeño condiment. Other than that, I have no idea. I tend to try new things on the spur of the moment.

CD

Funny you should ask, rr. I just made a slow cooker full of pulled pork tonight and tried this recipe: Mexican Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos. It was a new one to me, and it's a keeper for sure.

Eventually we'll be having our new neighbors from across the street over for supper, and I'm laying in a supply of pulled meats to use for tacos. I guess the plan is to invite them over when the freezer is full. :LOL:

Funny you should ask, rr. I just made a slow cooker full of pulled pork tonight and tried this recipe: Mexican Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos. It was a new one to me, and it's a keeper for sure.

Eventually we'll be having our new neighbors from across the street over for supper, and I'm laying in a supply of pulled meats to use for tacos. I guess the plan is to invite them over when the freezer is full. :LOL:

I love carnitas. I do them in a similar way, but in a dutch oven, and then move them into a roasting pan and brown them under the broiler.

My friend, Carlos, who grew up in Mexico, cooks his the old school way, in manteca (lard). He gives me all kinds of crap about how I do mine. He still eats them, but not without giving me crap.

The browning under the broiler kind of simulates the finished product of cooking in lard.

CD

Ive been on a relatively Low Carb Diet the past few months, so my eyes have been open to anything low carb, vegetarian that tastes good and is satisfying. Yeah, I know, Good Luck!!!

Anyway, I came across this recipe to make "Taco Shells" out of carrots ( in addition to other things like eggs, cheese and a few other odds and ends). I will make my own version of this ( adding peppers, some taco spice ...). And maybe make more of a Veggie Fajita , than a taco. I'm actually having a pretty good feeling about this one, esp with my add ons.

I have an extensive liftoff bookmarked recipes that I bookmark, but never go back to check the list. I need to start hacking away at that list.

Just this last week I tried an Indian Eggplant recipe ( I just had it a few weeks ago at a local Indian place for the first time, and loved it). Baigan Dahiwale. Basically an eggplant in tomato/ yogurt sauce. ( I've seen it written/ called several similar variations of this, but this is what was written on the card at the Buffet).

I love going to buffets at ethnic restaurants. It allows me to try a variety of things, and new things id never have thought to try.

We already had the flat breads, braised country style pork and beef short ribs this month. Still have a new to us Cornish hen recipe for this week. Plenty of time left this month to discover and try new recipes. Even if we make a weekly list, we'll postpone a meal if we find something new. I have a feeling that most of us will "go off list" if we see something while shopping. We never know what we might find at the seafood dept. of RD or Penn Dutch. Heck we might be in one of the large Asian stores and find something we weren't planning for.:ROFLMAO:

I'm trying these recipes out:
Smothered Bacon Asiago Wine Chicken - Host The Toast

3-Bite Jamaican Beef Patties - Host The Toast

Salisbury Steak Meatballs with Gravy and Mashed Potatoes - Jo Cooks

And this too
Enkel korvgryta - klar på 20 minuter - Mitt kök
I know it is in swedish, it uses falukorv, bellpepper, carrots, onions, tomatoes and cream, sounded yummy and will be served with potatoes.

I'm glad you included the recipes for those. I'm swooning over the Bacon Asagio Wine Chicken and I think I've just added another recipe for April!

Ditto this!

Last edited:
Guinness infused cheese made yesterday, may coat it in pepper/cocoa tonight
Merlot infused cheese
Stilton type blue cheese

We may have to try that Bacon, Asiago chicken too. I think there is some asiago in the freezer cheese bag that will be just about the right amount. Time to freezer dive!

I just learned that american Asiago cheese isnt at all as Italian D.O.P Asiago, this going to be interesting. Mine might not work with wine and chicken.

Freezer dive was successful, so CP's chicken, asiago dish is on our menu for next week. We'll also be having Norman Van Aken's Carribiasian chicken as a new dish, although we already had the sauce that goes with it last night with shrimp.

Last night I made the low carb carrot tortilla's and I must say, it was a success.
Basic ingredients were shredded carrot, eggs, grated cheese, Oatmeal flour and salt.

I modified it due to taste , and what i had available.
Egg whites instead of whole eggs, coconut flour instead of oatmeal flour ( thats what I had on hand), and taco seasoning instead of salt. In addition, I shredded up a red pepper too.

The consistency was good, was able to be molded into a taco shell ( as long has you did it right out of the oven or else it hardened up).

Consistency was somewhere between a soft tortilla and a hard taco shell.

Filled it with onions, peppers, cabbage, beans, veg chopped meat, taco seasoning, squirt of lime)

Definitely a success ( compare to other failures with new recipes)

Normally I don't change a recipe first time around, but I kinda had an idea of where i was going, so the added red pepper and taco seasoning made sense to me, and didn't affect the wet/ dry ingredient ratio.

Last edited:
I like the idea of making a list of new recipes to try each month. I have lots of recipes bookmarked but rarely go to them for inspiration. Maybe gong through them and making a list of recipes and the ingredients they take will get me to try them better!

I might start looking for some Filipino recipes. This is an excellent article.

what eating with my hands means to me

Interesting. There are a lot of Filipinos in my area; after the Spanish-American War, they were eligible to join the US Navy and the Navy has a big presence here. When I was in college, I was a waitress at the Officers Club at the Naval Air Station in Norfolk and worked with a lot of Filipino people. One woman made dinner for me once when our husbands were deployed - pancit and lumpia. Delicious stuff. We often served lumpia as an appetizer for banquets at the O Club.

I'm beginning to think that most of what I cook is a new recipe.. I seem to change my mind, often at the last minute... Perhaps a part of it is wanting to use up everything in the fridge and freezer.. OR.. maybe just senility?? :huh:

You misunderstood me.
The recipe isnt English, it is American, hence the cheese isnt the same. And MY cheese is Italian not American.
We cannot import American Asiago cheese due to Eu regulations in Europe, Asiago cheese can only come from Italy. I as person didnt think it would be a different but both Mrs B, Mr F, Mr X says so, apparently Italian Asiago is slightly saltier and as different flavor notes then the American. I wish I could find some cheese that matched the american cheese, making the recipe justice. I am not going to force MR X to taste through the whole cheese shop he works at for it. Also Asiago comes in two version here, one is matured and I think I got that one, I dont have the wrapper for it.
It going to be interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom