What organic foods do you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again, there are a lot of organic foods that don't taste any better, to me. I had high hopes for organic tomatoes. Supermarket tomatoes really lack in flavor, IMO. Well, the organic supermarket tomatoes didn't taste any better, to me. Sigh.

CD
Around here, I don't find much taste difference between good grocery store tomatoes and organic tomatoes in summer. In winter, the grocery store ones are tasteless, but the organic ones are still full of flavour.

Is anyone making a better list?
If you read the report from the Journal of Toxicology, you'll see that the amount of residual pesticide on fruits and vegetables is negligible and not harmful to human health.

It is simply not possible to raise produce on a large scale without dealing with the pests and diseases plants are subject to. That means there will be a residue. The fact that a residue is detectable with modern testing methods does not mean they're dangerous.

If you read the report from the Journal of Toxicology, you'll see that the amount of residual pesticide on fruits and vegetables is negligible and not harmful to human health.

It is simply not possible to raise produce on a large scale without dealing with the pests and diseases plants are subject to. That means there will be a residue. The fact that a residue is detectable with modern testing methods does not mean they're dangerous.
I did read it. I still prefer not to have artificial pesticides, artificial herbicides, or artificial fertilizer in or on my food.

I did read it. I still prefer not to have artificial pesticides, artificial herbicides, or artificial fertilizer in or on my food.
Even though naturally derived pesticides and fertilizers can be more dangerous?

People assumed that "natural" must be safer because, well, natural. Researchers have shown that that assumption was wrong. Unless you grow everything yourself, there is no way to avoid pesticides and fertilizers from some source.

Having been a gardener for almost 25 years, I know that we can't feed the two of us on what we grow in our long growing season. Well, maybe we could, but it would be pretty boring. No citrus, no tropical fruit, nothing but onions, potatoes, greens and cruciferous veggies in the winter. That's not how I choose to live, but of course, YMMV.

Even though naturally derived pesticides and fertilizers can be more dangerous?

People assumed that "natural" must be safer because, well, natural. Researchers have shown that that assumption was wrong. Unless you grow everything yourself, there is no way to avoid pesticides and fertilizers from some source.

Having been a gardener for almost 25 years, I know that we can't feed the two of us on what we grow in our long growing season. Well, maybe we could, but it would be pretty boring. No citrus, no tropical fruit, nothing but onions, potatoes, greens and cruciferous veggies in the winter. That's not how I choose to live, but of course, YMMV.
I'm not going to argue about it. We have different certifying organizations here in Canada, so some of the standards are not the same as in the US. I actually do read about the studies on organic vs conventionally raised food and I am aware that natural doesn't necessarily mean safer.

I'm not going to argue about it. We have different certifying organizations here in Canada, so some of the standards are not the same as in the US. I actually do read about the studies on organic vs conventionally raised food and I am aware that natural doesn't necessarily mean safer.
Okay. You asked, and I answered. We all make our own choices [emoji2]

Wow! When I started this thread, I never imagined it would turn into a predominantly anti-organic thread. There is an awful lot of hostility being expressed towards organic foods.

I was kind of expecting people to say, "This organic item is good, but this other one isn't worth the extra money." That's been my own experience, and I hoped I'd get some suggestions posted up about what is worth it, and what isn't.

Instead, it appears that my preference for the taste of organic milk isn't real. It's marketing driven, and all in my sub-concious. :rolleyes:

It just goes to show, when you start a conversation on an internet forum, it takes on a life of its own.

CD :chef:

I haven't bought conventional ginger or garlic in many years. A few friends have gone shopping with me and bought one or the other of those at the health food store, in the organic version. They told me that they are much tastier than the stuff from the supermarket.

Ah, there is a problem of its own. Large-scale corporate farming, where people in office buildings set quotas for farmers, and tell them how to farm.

Also, the use of chemicals is not an either/or subject. It often comes down to the overuse of chemicals. You are bound to see that more in large-scale corporate farming, because farmers tied to big agri-business are under a lot of pressure to hit yield targets, and follow corporate standards.

Whether organic, or not, I think we would mostly agree that a small, family farm (not many left) is going to deliver a better tasting product, most of the time. It seems like a lot of these local, family farms are turning to organic farming, because they can not compete with the big corporate farms on price. So, they turn to organic farming as a "niche."

If I can get a better tasting product, and support a smaller, family farm, I'll pay more.

CD

Last edited:
Wow! When I started this thread, I never imagined it would turn into a predominantly anti-organic thread. There is an awful lot of hostility being expressed towards organic foods.

I was kind of expecting people to say, "This organic item is good, but this other one isn't worth the extra money." That's been my own experience, and I hoped I'd get some suggestions posted up about what is worth it, and what isn't.

Instead, it appears that my preference for the taste of organic milk isn't real. It's marketing driven, and all in my sub-concious. :rolleyes:

It just goes to show, when you start a conversation on an internet forum, it takes on a life of its own.

Hi Casey. :) I didn't really see a lot of hostility, just differing opinions. And above all, taste is subjective. What one person says is amazingly awesome, the next will say ugh, no way. The bottom line is what you like. Keep doing what you're doing, and buying what you like.

(By the way - living here in the desert, I love Birkenstocks and yes, my feet do, too. ;))

Just out of curiosity - just how long do you keep your eggs? and what is the difference you notice between the non-organic and organic eggs?

The FDA says that eggs are good for up to 5 weeks after the best by date on the carton.

Organic eggs contain a yolk and albumen, while non-organic eggs have silly putty inside!

All the food I buy is organic. I got so sick of fiberglass, asphalt, foam rubber or concrete for dinner, and wax fruit and plaster vegetables just never hit the spot.

waxfruit.jpg
il_570xN.362958539_ovc0.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! When I started this thread, I never imagined it would turn into a predominantly anti-organic thread. There is an awful lot of hostility being expressed towards organic foods...

Yes, what may have started as a movement to improve the quality of the food we eat has been bastardized by the food industry to make a buck.

Now consumers are duped into buying organic at much higher prices because they believe the hype.

The 'hostility' is directed at the "Organics Industry" not the concept of actual organic food.

Interesting. What you see as hostility I see as truth. Disagreement does not equal anger, imo.

You can see it that way. Or you can question your assumptions with an open mind to new information. Your choice

You can see it that way. Or you can question your assumptions with an open mind to new information. Your choice

Like the "assumption" that I like the taste of organic milk better?

And, what I think you mean is that I can see things your way, or choose to be wrong.

CD

1. Since many/most of us don't buy organic as a rule, there wasn't anything we could suggest to you that we like. *shrug*

2. The fact that you like your milk is not market driven. The taste you experience when YOU drink it is real. The flavor, however, isn't necessarily caused by the fact the cows feed IS organic as much as it's a result of the cows eating tasty feed. It does not have to be organic to taste delightful. In your milk's case, it's organic and tastes good. In the case of the milk I used to be able to buy, it wasn't organic and yet it still tasted good. Correlation does not mean causation.

3. You haven't been here long enough to know that we'll argue about most anything! :D Come on, put up yer dukes...:LOL:

1. Since many/most of us don't buy organic as a rule, there wasn't anything we could suggest to you that we like. *shrug*

2. The fact that you like your milk is not market driven. The taste you experience when YOU drink it is real. The flavor, however, isn't necessarily caused by the fact the cows feed IS organic as much as it's a result of the cows eating tasty feed. It does not have to be organic to taste delightful. In your milk's case, it's organic and tastes good. In the case of the milk I used to be able to buy, it wasn't organic and yet it still tasted good. Correlation does not mean causation.

3. You haven't been here long enough to know that we'll argue about most anything! [emoji3] Come on, put up yer dukes...[emoji38]
+1, 2 and 3! :ROFLMAO:

I'm with you on the buying organic if it tastes better, Casey.

We buy organic bananas, carrots, potatoes, milk, eggs, and a few other things simply because they taste better. And no, GG, it's not in my head. We also buy non-organically grown stuff when that's all that's available. Every once in a while I'll notice something tastes really good; better than usual, and I'll sometimes check to see what brand it is, or where my wife bought it so I might try to remember to ask her buy it again since she does most of the food shopping. It is then I often discover that it is organic.

OK, so, that might also have to do with smaller production practices, or freshness, or some factors that go along with organic foods, but if it tastes better, I'm good to go. The few extra dollars we spend for it is of no real matter to me. If I skip one lunch at work in a month and eat leftovers, that can cover any extra cost if it's ever an issue.

As far as arguments go, some people use passive aggressiveness to continually make their point, or appear "right", or better than you. (This pretty much describes several of my new neighbors.)
I can't stand people who do that intentionally, but I wonder sometimes if others even realize that they are doing it.

Anyway, getting back to good food, I'm often reminded of what Sparrowgrass said about the labeling of free range chicken. Many "factory" raised chickens are kept in giant buildings, and once or twice a week a few doors are opened and some of the chickens get to wander out onto a poop covered patio for a bit, then they are brought back in and the doors closed again. So much for free range being a wonderful thing. Still, you can buy really free range foods if you do your homework and learn if it's real or not.

And guess what: it'll probably taste better.

Also, when you die, if you get reincarnated as a chicken, try to get a seat by the door...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom