What spices to never use together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
like I said in another post spices are tricky. I am not to the the point where I can use spices without recipe direction and may never be. Maybe few people can use spices and really know what they are doing. But what spices do you never use together?

I find spices to be pretty lenient... if in doubt, experiment with a small sample of what you want to spice up. The only time I can recall ruining a dish with a spice was a pineapple upside down cake whose recipe called for cardamom (hated it).

Most spices work well together. However, some spice mixes need multiple flavors that will work, as in curries, Chinese 5-spice, etc. I once accidently added cinnamon to a good ragu. The cinnamon was in a reused bottle that wasn't labeled properly. The cinnamon didn't play well with the other herbs in the sauce. It was bad enough that it couldn't be salvaged.

What You are asking is best determined by experimentation. The famous Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is such a flavor experiment. Look up the history online. It's an interesting story.

Here's a link to a Penn State Extension document on the subject.

http://bkc-od-media.vmhost.psu.edu/documents/HO_PE_foodherbspicepairing.pdf

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom