"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2022, 10:28 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Appleton
Posts: 213
What spices would you put in chicken noodle soup

I am weak on spices even though I have many bottles of them most of which I never use. I feel guilty for spending all that money on them because they are expensive. So what spices would you put in chicken noodle soup.

georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 28,038
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I don't know what herbs to put with chicken, I think of that song about Scarborough Fair. "parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme" Those all work well with chicken. It's a nice combo.

I think the classic spice for chicken soup would be turmeric, but in many dishes, including chicken soup, it's mostly for colour.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:34 PM   #3
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 12,286
I regularly use the following hers, and spices in my chicken soup. First, are you making the soup with fresh, whole chicken, chicken white meat, or a ready cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocers? I like to use whole chickens, or Cornish game hens for my soup.

Herbs & spices:
Thyme
fresh parsley
Rubbed Sage
Ground Thyme
granulated garlic powder
granulated onion powder
Ground ginger
Ground turmeric
White pepper
Black pepper
MSG
Smoked paprika
Salt

Not all of these are required. All of them pair well with the chicken. If using whole chicken, cut the chicken into breasts, back, wings thighs, and drumsticks. Remove the meat from the bones, Roast the bones in a 400' F. oven for 20 minutes to add flavor. Place roasted bones into soup pot, covered with water, Bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Cover, and cook for 30 minutes.

Remove skins from the meat, and place into a dry, heavy frying pan over medium heat. Fry until crispy. Add skins to the soup pot. Dice the chicken meat, and gently fry until the just start to brown. Season with a sprinkling of salt, and pepper. Remove to a bowl.

When the bones & skins have simmered for 30 minutes, remove them from the broth. The skins can be placed unto a blender with a cup of broth, and blended until smooth, for extra flavor.

Add herbs, spices, sliced celery, diced carrot, and sliced onion to the broth, along with the noodles. Cook for ten minutes. Add the chicken meat. Simmer for 5 minutes more. Serve with crusty bread & soft butter.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Appleton
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I regularly use the following hers, and spices in my chicken soup. First, are you making the soup with fresh, whole chicken, chicken white meat, or a ready cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocers? I like to use whole chickens, or Cornish game hens for my soup.

Herbs & spices:
Thyme
fresh parsley
Rubbed Sage
Ground Thyme
granulated garlic powder
granulated onion powder
Ground ginger
Ground turmeric
White pepper
Black pepper
MSG
Smoked paprika
Salt

Not all of these are required. All of them pair well with the chicken. If using whole chicken, cut the chicken into breasts, back, wings thighs, and drumsticks. Remove the meat from the bones, Roast the bones in a 400' F. oven for 20 minutes to add flavor. Place roasted bones into soup pot, covered with water, Bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Cover, and cook for 30 minutes.

Remove skins from the meat, and place into a dry, heavy frying pan over medium heat. Fry until crispy. Add skins to the soup pot. Dice the chicken meat, and gently fry until the just start to brown. Season with a sprinkling of salt, and pepper. Remove to a bowl.

When the bones & skins have simmered for 30 minutes, remove them from the broth. The skins can be placed unto a blender with a cup of broth, and blended until smooth, for extra flavor.

Add herbs, spices, sliced celery, diced carrot, and sliced onion to the broth, along with the noodles. Cook for ten minutes. Add the chicken meat. Simmer for 5 minutes more. Serve with crusty bread & soft butter.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Would you tell us how much of each spice you would use
georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:00 PM   #5
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 12,286
For 4 cups of soup, I would use the following:
1 tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Onion powder
1/2 tsp. Rubbed Sage
1/ tsp. Thyme
1/8 tsp. Ground ginger
1/2 tsp. Summer Savory
1 tbs. White pepper
1 tbs. Black pepper
1 tbs. Salt
2 tbs. Smoked paprika
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. Turmeric
1 tsp. MSG

That should get you into the ballpark. Adjust the salt to your taste. Remember, start light with herbs and spices. You can always add more if need be. But once it's added to the soup, you can't remove it.

Some people like to add a bit of anchovy, fish sauce, or Worcestershire sauce to increase the umami flavor.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:09 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 215
For chicken soup, I add sprigs of fresh thyme when I sweat the veg (onions, carrots, celery). Minced Italian parsley or dill at the end.
When I make the stock, I might add some sliced ginger but not always. I don't want to overwhelm the flavour of a chicken soup.
summer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Appleton
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
For 4 cups of soup, I would use the following:
1 tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Onion powder
1/2 tsp. Rubbed Sage
1/ tsp. Thyme
1/8 tsp. Ground ginger
1/2 tsp. Summer Savory
1 tbs. White pepper
1 tbs. Black pepper
1 tbs. Salt
2 tbs. Smoked paprika
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. Turmeric
1 tsp. MSG

That should get you into the ballpark. Adjust the salt to your taste. Remember, start light with herbs and spices. You can always add more if need be. But once it's added to the soup, you can't remove it.

Some people like to add a bit of anchovy, fish sauce, or Worcestershire sauce to increase the umami flavor.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thanks for the info but only 4 cups? You mean you only used 4 cups broth? That seems like a lot of spices for only 4 cups.
georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #8
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 12,286
I believe you are correct. I should have stated to start with 4 cups of broth. Add 2 more cups once the herbs, and spices have simmered for about ten minutes. You will need another 2 to 3 cups to replace the broth ansorbed by the noodles, or rice.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,918
Not sure about American chicken noodle soup, but Jewish chicken noodle soup requires only few thing: Dill and Parsley, which are not spices anyway, and just a dash of black pepper. That is all good chicken soup needs.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 15,693
While I like to use various seasonings on chicken when it is an entree, chicken soup is one of the plainest foods I make. Whether I use homemade or boxed broth/stock, all I add is crushed garlic, peppercorns (both contained in an old teaball dedicated for savory cooking), salt, and sprigs of parsley. Only two veggies go in, both sliced about ¼ inch: a generous dose of carrots and about half as much celery.
__________________
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." ~ Katharine Hepburn

In the end, only kindness matters" ~ from the song "Hands" by Jewel
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:23 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 215
If you want to use up lots of spices in a chicken soup, try something like Mulligatawny soup, a British/Indian type of curried chicken soup.

Here's a recipe I've used: https://www.seriouseats.com/mulligatawny-soup-recipe
Other chicken soups that use spices include Tom Yum, laksa, other Asian-style soups that might not be what you're looking for.
To me, a chicken soup with herbs like thyme or dill, carrots, onions, and celery, is perfectly good.
summer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:36 AM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Appleton
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I don't know what herbs to put with chicken, I think of that song about Scarborough Fair. "parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme" Those all work well with chicken. It's a nice combo.

I think the classic spice for chicken soup would be turmeric, but in many dishes, including chicken soup, it's mostly for colour.
As I understood things turmeric was mainly to add color
georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:51 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,918
The only spices I use in chicken soup are salt and pepper.
My stock consists of chicken carcass from a rotisserie chicken (skin, bones, wings, and any other leftover meat), water or stock/broth, carrots, celery, onion, parsley stems, and green leek tops. Which are simmered for 2 hours then strained out. Leaving only the liquid.

The soup itself has the above stock/broth just simmered, diced rotisserie chicken breast, carrots, celery (hearts, leaves, and tender light green stalks), onion, chopped parsley leaves, and the white and light green leek bottom. Taste, adjust salt and pepper to your liking. Serve over rice or noodles. Top with fresh grated hard Italian cheese if desired. My mom would sometimes add extras like diced tomato, peas or tiny mild meatballs (no Italian herbs just grated cheese, egg, salt, ground pepper and bread crumbs added to ground beef).


Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken_soup_050222_IMG_9568.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	52609
__________________
All our times have come. Here, but now they're gone.
Seasons don't fear the reaper.
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain.
We can be like they are.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:38 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 5,347
Salt pepper and a small pinch of thyme. Thyme can overpower so go easy. Easy!
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:09 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NYC
Posts: 231
fresh dill. fresh parsley. both preferably in a soup sock.

some add a little ginger and garlic.
HeyItsSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #16
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 12,286
The herbs & spices I listed all will work in chicken soup. If you like it, you can make a great chicken egg drop soup with just salt, pepper, and beaten egg drizzled into the hot broth (not boiling), and topped with chopped green onion. You can make a hot and sour soup using fresh ginger, soy sauce, garlic, onion, and dried peppers.

The point of this is that chicken soup can be made in so many ways, with or without carrots, with or without tomatoes, etc. You can add curry flavors, or Chinese 5 spice, bok choy, egg noodles, vermachelli, any shape pasta you want. You can make it with spaetzle, oe noodle type dumplings, biscuit type dumplings. Put raviolies in it, or won tons. You can play with it and create your own recipe. There is not just one way to make chicken soup. It's limited only by what you are willing to try. I've even seen chicken soup made from leftover BBQ chicken, with BBQ sauce. So go ahead; experiment. You might fiscover that you created something extraordinary.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:33 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Appleton
Posts: 213
I made some chicken noodle soup and it was a total disaster. I think it might have been the 15 or so peppercorns. But I threw a whole bunch of spices and herbs in thinking it would turn out. Lesson? Just go by what recipe says no more no less.
georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:01 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 15,693
Less IS more, george. You can easily add more seasonings. Taking them out? Not so easy.
__________________
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." ~ Katharine Hepburn

In the end, only kindness matters" ~ from the song "Hands" by Jewel
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:09 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,692
Sorry to hear that. Once you have some experience, you can riff on recipes.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken, soup, spice, spices

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.