What to do with already chopped vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So this is the deal. Today, or should I say yesterday I was supposed to go to a party for my niece. There were going to be about 60 people. I was to make a few different salads ( tabouli, bean...). With the bad weather approaching, i was skeptical it was actually going to happen, but I didnt want to be unprepared, so i pre cut all the veggies. today, after 2 ft of snow has fallen, the party was cancelled , so this is what im left with :

About 8 - 10 cups of chopped yellow/ red peppers, carrots, celery, red onion. They are all mixed together. No dressing or anything on it at this point. Sure I can make a bean salad with this, or a stock, or toss in another salad. But, now its only for 4 people as opposed to 60. So , I was wondering what other options can be suggested to used up my 10 cups of pre cut/ mixed veggies.

Keep it vegetarian, and remember, there are only 4 of us.

thanks ,

larry

I agree, then you can use them as needed for a cooked dish. After the vegetables thaw, the texture will be compromised. One could also saute the vegetables, then freeze in smaller portions to add to soups, stews, etc.

Sounds like the beginning of a great soup, to me! Just add water, a few herbs, and simmer!

So this is the deal. Today, or should I say yesterday I was supposed to go to a party for my niece. There were going to be about 60 people. I was to make a few different salads ( tabouli, bean...). With the bad weather approaching, i was skeptical it was actually going to happen, but I didnt want to be unprepared, so i pre cut all the veggies. today, after 2 ft of snow has fallen, the party was cancelled , so this is what im left with :

About 8 - 10 cups of chopped yellow/ red peppers, carrots, celery, red onion. They are all mixed together. No dressing or anything on it at this point. Sure I can make a bean salad with this, or a stock, or toss in another salad. But, now its only for 4 people as opposed to 60. So , I was wondering what other options can be suggested to used up my 10 cups of pre cut/ mixed veggies.

Keep it vegetarian, and remember, there are only 4 of us.

thanks ,

larry

Sounds like Soupe au Pistou to me! PM me if you'd like a recipe.

I agree with the freezing. They can also be used on a nice veggie pizza. I often chop up extra when I'm chopping and freeze it so I have some on hand for soup, or to add to chili, spaghetti and other casseroles.

If you freeze them, I would blanche them first. In particular, the peppers and celery are likely to be slimy if you don't blanche before you freeze. The higher the water content, the more likely they will not freeze well... with or without blanching. In fact, I would probably pick out the celery and not even attempt to freeze that. I doubt that you could get a good result from freezing celery at all.

Personally, I would probably dehydrate them.

1. Add a bit of cilantro, hot peppers, and tomatoes, and you have
salsa. This can be canned or frozen after it's cooked, with no ill effects
to the sauce.

2. You can also use the ingredients to make gazpacho.

3. Soups

4. Confetti rice, or chop and add to corn, along with some coriander and a little cayenne pepper.

5. Dice and add to diced potatoes with diced, firm tofu to make hash.

6. Make into a fajita type sandwich, adding slice avacado to the mix.

7. Blend into a vegie smoothie.

A couple of ideas for you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That's odd you should say that, velochic. I freeze raw chopped celery and peppers all the time with no ill effects.

I've had bumper crops of both over the years. Before I had a dehydrator, I would freeze them and they always became slimy after thawing. If you are able to have crispy celery after you freeze, I'd love to know your secret. When something like celery or watermelon are frozen, the freezing process compromises the cell structure and when thawed, the cells explode, causing the water to be released and making them soggy. I haven't found a way to combat this natural process with these foods when frozen. One of the main reasons I use veg like celery and peppers is for their texture contrast in my foods. When you dehydrate, it doesn't destroy the cell structure and when rehydrating, they maintain their integrity better. If you have freezing tips, though, please share. I'm always ready to learn a new technique! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom