What to do with avocados

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Avocado sandwiches
Avocado & Mango Salad
Corn, Avocado & Tomato salad
Chicken and Avocado Egg Rolls
Grilled Lobster & Avocado Cocktail
Avocado Soup
Avocado Salsa

...to name a few.

The other night, I made walnut pesto with chicken, fresh tomaotes (diced) and ripe avocados (diced).

I boiled the pasta in a tomato bullion and then drained it over the tomatoes to bring them up to temp without overcooking.

I made the pesto first and then diced the avocadoes into the pesto sauce. The oil of the pesto kept the avos from turning brown while I did everything else.

It was very tasty and the little bursts of avocado flavor were delightful.

Cut them in half and stuff with shrimp salad, chicken salad, etc. Take a little slice off the bottom to keep it from rolling.

Last edited:
I asked this same question a while ago. The bottom line is that you don't really cook with avocados. They are basically used in salads and as garnishes.

I never heard of avocado soup, but it sounds really yummy. Do you have a basic recipe? I'm thinking cream of avocado, not guacamole soup.

Last edited:
Avocado Soup

This soup is delicious hot or cold. While this recipe makes four servings, each just under one cup, you may want to double it, either to accommodate more people or larger appetites.

• 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 Very ripe, large Haas avocado (see below)
  • 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Heat the chicken broth until hot, not boiling. Set aside.

Peel the avocado and remove the seed. Cut into several pieces, place in the food processor or blender, and purée. Turn off the blender and pour in the whipping cream, followed by the hot chicken broth, cumin, salt, white pepper, sherry and lemon juice. Pulse a few times, just until mixture is blended. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.

Serve immediately, or chill for at least two hours and serve.

I copied this one from Grandma's Cookbook site. Sounds delicious. The see below refers to a preference for Haas avocados.

Last edited:
I love to "dress up" our BLTs with thin slices of avocado. Ohhhh, yummy.

One of my favorite ways with avocado, Katie!!

We grow lots of avocado's in these parts and we often go to the Avocado Festival near us. I had a slice of desert avocado pie.......it was without a doubt the most most disgusting desert I ever tasted.I still shudder when I think of it. :sick::yuk:

The other day I had a half an avocado in the fridge and was just looking for a little treat that wasn't sweet. I took a little plate, sliced the avocado is thin slices, fanned them out on the plate (comfort food MUST be pretty lol), drizzled them with copious amount of olive oil, and sprinkled them generously with fresh ground Orange&LemonPepper and fresh ground SeaSalt (both "Olde Thompson" brand grinders...awesome). This would be tasty and attractive as a side dish for just about anything.
Consider tucking in a kalamata olive, cherry tomato, and a tiny wedge of favorite cheese in the arch for color and taste.

In our house, avocados are used in taco salad, diced and added to pita pocket sandwiches with thinly sliced strips of smoky beef from the charcoal grill (rare thank you), diced and added to tacos, burritos, sliced thinly and served as a refreshing side dish with any kind of chicken, diced and added to gazpacho, and even added to home made chunky tomato soup.

Once in a while, we've even been known to slice up an avocado and eat it as a snack, or with cheese and chips or crackers.

Avocados are great with savory foods. I love fresh avocado slices in a carne asada burrito.

You are limited only by your imagination.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

they are very greasy ,are too many bad for you?

i always feel bloated after nachos and guacomole.

Cut an avocado in half, remove the seed by tapping it with your knife and twisting it out. Pour a little French, Catalina or Russian dressing in the hollow and eat with a spoon.

Or...after removing the seed, hold the avocado half in your hand, and score the meat with a knife. Scoop pieces out with a spoon, combine with halved grape tomatoes, and sprinkle with Italian dressing, or even just plain lemon juice, salt and pepper. The two really compliment each other.

Avocados are fattening, but they have the good kind of fat that lowers your cholesterol...like olive oil and cashews...so if you like them, you can include them in your diet without feeling guilty.

Not popular in America but common on European menus, avocado vinaigrette, avocados halved and the cavity filled with vinaigrette dressing and sometimes small shrimp.
Also you can bake avocado such as halving one, scooping out and mashing the pulp and mixing it with chopped hard boiled egg, minced onion, chopped olives S & P and topped with bread crumbs and dotted with butter, then baked for approx 10 minutes at around 375 F.
You can also bake halved avocados stuffed with tuna salad or seafood salad, topped with crumbs.
FYI if you didn't know, "avocado" is the Aztec word for testicles!

they are very greasy ,are too many bad for you?

i always feel bloated after nachos and guacomole.
Avocados do have a high fat content. But as was stated, the fat is very high in mono-unsaturates, like olive and walnut oils. But as with everything else, though it is a healthy fat, the weight gain from eating too many isn't. So, moderation in all things still applies.

I'm not one who insists that Itallian food be made only with Italian ingredients, or that Asian food can't be served alongside something from France. I ten to mix and match ingredients to suit the mood I'm in. In that vein of thought, avocado is great with plain bruschetta. Just sprinkle on appropriate seasonings.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom