What to do with Bacon Grease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put it in a jar in the back of the fridge right next to the jar of rendered duck fat. Every couple months I come across them, and say "Oh yeah! I have to remember to use these sometime!"

Then I put them back in the fridge and forget them for another few months.

:rolleyes:

I put it in a jar in the back of the fridge right next to the jar of rendered duck fat. Every couple months I come across them, and say "Oh yeah! I have to remember to use these sometime!"

Then I put them back in the fridge and forget them for another few months.

:rolleyes:

We must be related!

I used bacon dripping when I recently made clam chowder. Then again, I also used the bacon too! Clam chowder is not the same without bacon.

You can use bacon drippings for flavoring just about anything you could/would use bacon for as a seasoning. A little mixed with butter slathered on a roasted ear of corn, in creamed corn, in corn chowder, I grease my cast iron skillet with it when I make cornbread (like Katie E. mentioned) - and it's good for things other than corn!

Bacon grease is also great to put on your potatoes when you bake them in the oven along with a little course grain salt. Yum!

You can use bacon drippings for flavoring just about anything you could/would use bacon for as a seasoning. A little mixed with butter slathered on a roasted ear of corn, in creamed corn, in corn chowder, I grease my cast iron skillet with it when I make cornbread (like Katie E. mentioned) - and it's good for things other than corn!

I should have used it in place of butter to sautee my celery and onions for my corn chowder soup last night. D'oh!

LOL ... just thought of a couple more uses, when making refried beans, my grandmother use to use a little in her stewed okra/tomatoes/onion, and after frying eggs she would saute thick slices of tomato to go with the bacon and eggs for breakfast. She also used to sometimes make a cheese drop biscuit that she mixed in a little bacon grease into the batter.

As for the health question - aside from the fact that all animal fats contain cholesterol, I read something not too long ago that said research was beginning to show that pork fat was not as bad as had been originally thought.

I hate to use an Emeralism - but, pork fat rules!

I greased the bottom of my crock pot with it before tossing in the pork, which turned out to be pointless cause I then dumped the bbq sauce in. ;) I also fried my tomatoes for breakfast in it (the bacon grease). I pretty much greased everything this weekend with it. :)

My mom used to put a little bit of bacon grease in her pie dough. I used to love it. I'm going to have to start saving it again. I used to save it, but I'm like Silversage. Would put it in the fridge and every so often find it and say 'gee I have to remember to use this'

Carol

I love bacon grease. Sometimes, I'll render a package and throw away the charred meat. I'm not in the habit of jennifer's Aussie style of fried tomatoes for breakfast, but I think I may start with the increasing abundance of heirlooms at today's markets.

Try adding a few drops of bacon fat into your salad dressing emulsions. Big Diff!

I love bacon grease. Sometimes, I'll render a package and throw away the charred meat. I'm not in the habit of jennifer's Aussie style of fried tomatoes for breakfast, but I think I may start with the increasing abundance of heirlooms at today's markets.

Try adding a few drops of bacon fat into your salad dressing emulsions. Big Diff!

After reading Angelas Ashes I developed an obsession with frying tomatoes. Go figure. I've also been buying/cooking/eating a lot more potatoes these days, also. ;)

*which reminds me, I made the BEST mashed pot's the other day. I thought I'd ruined the batch by adding too much milk, looked soupy...but after letting it sit a few minutes, FANTASTIC. Fluffy and deelish.

Bacon fat certainly isn't the healthiest fat, but it doesn't take much to make a big difference in many foods listed before. I don't think anything can flavor a pot of green beans better. Also just a bit of bacon fat flavors peppers and onions a lot. I don't use it in anything sweet, but almost anything else is made much better by the use of it. But we like bacon too, and that is probably the unhealthy part so we don't have it often.

I use it for cooking eggs and potatoes. It is also good to add into refried beans and some gravy's.

I knew someone who used to fry their eggs in it, splashing the hot oil over the top. I always questioned the health aspects of it. It was sorta tasty... In a greasy kinda way.

Back
Top Bottom