What To Do With Easter's Leftover Ham?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I freeze it in meal-sized portions for:

Just plain fried/reheated ham for dinner.

Grilled ham and cheese or baked ham and cheese sandwiches.

Ham and eggs.

Ham salad, ground ham with sweet pickles and mayo or mayo and horseradish.

Hash made with chopped ham and potatoes.

Salad topped with strips of ham and cheese.

Added to various homemade soups.

Think SPAM and substitute ham! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Coming from another who cooks for just one (usually), I second all these suggestions! The one I bolded above is one of my faves, using crackers, celery sticks or cucumber rounds for dipping. :yum: When I first started caring for my mom when she got sick, she asked for some of that ghastly Underwood ham spread, and I told her I could do much better than that, and she loved it. Every time I make it now it reminds me of her...

I love having little vacuum sealed packages of ham in the freezer for the year - it's one of my fave little treats. I think it's because unlike beef or chicken, ham is a once a year thing, at least for me. :yum:

Lots of good suggestions on this thread!

Last edited:
Ham with grainy Dijon mustard.

Crepes stuffed with ham, brie or gruyere, grainy mustard. Leave cheese out of his crepes.

Minced ham in devilled eggs.

Frittata ideas:
Ham, ementhal, spinach, nutmeg
Ham, roasted vegetables, cheese in your third
Ham, broccoli, cheddar in your third
Ham, caramelized onions, mushrooms, gruyere in your third
Ham, caramelized shallots, mushrooms, sage, gruyere in your third

Munching platter with ham, olives, little pickles, roasted red bell pepper, roasted whole garlic, cheese, grainy Dijon mustard, nuts, grapes served with crackers / crusty bread slices

Crepes stuffed with ham, brie or gruyere, grainy mustard. Leave cheese out of his crepes.

Minced ham in devilled eggs.

Mmm, yeah, I forgot about ham n cheese crepes. Don't forget Swiss.

And I like the idea of ham,in devilled eggs.

Spike brought me a pile of leftover ham that his boss gave him. Most of it is going into scalloped potatoes made with light cream and milk combined. What I don't put into that, the rest of the ham will be broken down into small packets for single sandwiches and larger packets for an evening meal.

Fortunately, we love ham in this house, so it is never a problem no matter how we use it. Good luck.

This morning I took a page from CG's book.

I simmered the ham bone to make stock.

Yes, I cooked a spiral sliced ham for Easter instead of the original plan to only cook a ham steak. I just couldn't resist the 95 cents a pound special at Aldi!!!

I took the meat from the ham bone, 1/2 cup of stock, garlic, onion, a red pepper pod, a glug of apple cider vinegar, a can of white beans and a package of frozen collards. I simmered them for half an hour and will let the flavors mingle until lunch. I will get a couple of quick microwave meals and a couple of containers for the freezer along with a quart of rich ham stock.

Easter 2018 is in the books! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Oh man, 7 pounds of heaven.

Actually if you have a smoker, ham makes very tasty burnt ends. I usually cut it in 1 inch cubes, and smoke it slowly with apple chunks at +220F for 2 hours. Its amazing with a very nice sweet bbq sauce and slaw.

The bone makes a very good ramen broth too, but I see you got the soup part covered :)

Actually if you have a smoker, ham makes very tasty burnt ends. I usually cut it in 1 inch cubes, and smoke it slowly with apple chunks at +220F for 2 hours. Its amazing with a very nice sweet bbq sauce and slaw.

I can't believe I haven't heard of that before. Ham burnt ends sounds like a natural. A sweet dipping sauce or chutney would be a great compliment. I'm thinking a dipping sauce or chutney because I wouldn't want to drown that meat with anything -- just dip it a little right before putting it in your mouth.

CD

I can't believe I haven't heard of that before. Ham burnt ends sounds like a natural. A sweet dipping sauce or chutney would be a great compliment. I'm thinking a dipping sauce or chutney because I wouldn't want to drown that meat with anything -- just dip it a little right before putting it in your mouth.

CD

You are on to something very very good here my friend :)

Ykies!! I wish I had some ham to try that smoked ham trick, and a chutney dipping sauce ..... THUD

KL, are you familiar with burnt ends? They are a staple of Central Texas BBQ. You basically take the fattiest cuts of brisket , cut it into cubes, and put the cubes back on the smoker to develop a new, smokey crust.

By fattiest, I'm not talking about fat scraps, burnt ends are still good meat, but it has to be pretty high in fat content to make it through a second round of smoking.

The flavor is intense, and many Central Texas BBQ joints don't even offer sauce, but I like to have a thin, somewhat acidic sauce to dip mine into to balance the fat content.

I can imagine ham burnt ends being similarly intense in flavor, even though ham is generally leaner. I would probably do a chutney with some grilled fruit in it, to use with ham burnt ends. I'm thinking that the caramelized sugars would be a great match.

Of course, this is all in my head -- for now. I foresee some backyard science projects in my near future. :pig: :chef:

CD

Some really great ideas guys!
Here's my first, well we did have ham&eggs for breakfast already ...
entree anyways with the leftover Easter Ham from the rotisserie
001.JPG
My version of Chef Salad (DH's fave)
very little lettuce, radishes, sweet white onions, cucumbers,
tomatoes, turkey breast, swiss cheese AND Ham...
a different twist on vinaigrette.jpg
dressed with my homemade salad dressing, topped with
croutons, crumbled bacon and anchovies (for DH, NOT me!)
Dessert later will be homemade Carrot Cake, MMM!

Croque madame or monsieur will be on our menu for next week and maybe some homemade chips.

I wish I had got to this section before I used the last of my Easter ham. I haven't been here in quite a while and probably nobody remembers me but thoroughly enjoyed the site before things started happening to my body. I suppose getting older does that to us but I hope to peek in now and again and do a little catch up. Best wishes to all.

I wish I had got to this section before I used the last of my Easter ham. I haven't been here in quite a while and probably nobody remembers me but thoroughly enjoyed the site before things started happening to my body. I suppose getting older does that to us but I hope to peek in now and again and do a little catch up. Best wishes to all.

I remember you! Good to see you drop in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom