What To Do With Easter's Leftover Ham?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
I made an eight pound Ham for Easter Supper.
Now I've got enough Ham leftover to last DH and I for the rest of the year!!!

So, could you share some thoughts on how you would use 7.5 lbs, of Ham?

Keeping in mind, we're talking about feeding only two people at a time.
Oh, and don't forget that DH does not like creamy dishes ... no mayo, nor cheesy, no white sauces.
I did search the WWW but came up with loads of recipes with either mayo or white sauces :LOL:

Tomorrow's lunch will be Ham&Swiss on leftover Grands Crescent rolls.
Then I was thinking of a Ham & Potato Frittata for Sunday's Brunch.

Any other ideas?

...don't forget that DH does not like creamy dishes ... no mayo, nor cheesy, no white sauces...
No this, no that, no the other thing :wacko:...gosh, DH is no fun.

I plan on trying the "Bacon-Hash Brown Quiche" recipe that was in a recent Southern Living magazine. I'll substitute ham for the bacon...or maybe add ham with the bacon. :yum:

Other than using ham in various types of sandwiches, or as a side/mixed into eggs for breakfast (no matter what time of day), I can't suggest anything that isn't creamy, cheesy...in other words, yummy. Good luck, K-Girl!

I freeze it in meal-sized portions for:

Just plain fried/reheated ham for dinner.

Grilled ham and cheese or baked ham and cheese sandwiches.

Ham and eggs.

Ham salad, ground ham with sweet pickles and mayo or mayo and horseradish.

Hash made with chopped ham and potatoes.

Salad topped with strips of ham and cheese.

Added to various homemade soups.

Think SPAM and substitute ham! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
My mother used to make a jambalaya with left over ham..it wasn't authentic by any means but it was good..
I make a ham and potato soup..just like potato bacon but sub the ham..
It goes well with beans in soup

I freeze it in meal-sized portions for:

Just plain fried/reheated ham for dinner.

Grilled ham and cheese or baked ham and cheese sandwiches.

Ham and eggs.

Ham salad, ground ham with sweet pickles and mayo or mayo and horseradish.

Hash made with chopped ham and potatoes.

Salad topped with strips of ham and cheese.

Added to various homemade soups.

Think SPAM and substitute ham! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That's what I do. Ham freezes well.

BBQ Ham sammiches.
Add some to a few cans of Bush's Baked beans

I freeze some for dog emergencies,they will take their meds now :yum:

We used to cut leftover ham into chunks and add it to a white sauce or hollandaise sauce with green peas added in. Serve on toast.
Also, fried ham and a side dish of au gratin potatoes go well together. And of course, using the ham and bone to make split green pea soup.

Last edited:
Kgirl, I looked at the 33 recipes in this collection and the vast majority look like something he would eat.
Some of these ideas for ham sound really delicious!!
https://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/christmas/g3094/leftover-ham/?slide=1

KL, I would say that DH would eat about 2/3 to 1/2 of those dishes (I saw that online too), me, I would eat them ALL!!!

For lunch today, it was leftover Pillsbury's Grand Big & Buttery (ssshhhhh! :LOL:) Crescents split, warmed and stuffed with Ham&Cheese, YUM!
DH: Is there more?
Moi: No, but I can't finish mine, here.

`Member now, no butter, sour cream, cream cheese, creamy, cheesy, saucey-ooey-gooey, :( "ewww, I don't like that" stuff that you and would LOVE :ROFLMAO:

Ham plus a fave veggie frittata

Quiche

Monte Cristos. Use fave preserves either inside or on the side for dipping. I use sliced chicken along with the ham/ cheese slices, I think it tastes better than deli turkey.

Grilled Ham and cheese sammies. Griddle the ham up a little or even until if frizzles. Spread a little mustard, then add cheese and finish like you normally do.

KL, I would say that DH would eat about 2/3 to 1/2 of those dishes (I saw that online too), me, I would eat them ALL!!!

For lunch today, it was leftover Pillsbury's Grand Big & Buttery (ssshhhhh! :LOL:) Crescents split, warmed and stuffed with Ham&Cheese, YUM!
DH: Is there more?
Moi: No, but I can't finish mine, here.

`Member now, no butter, sour cream, cream cheese, creamy, cheesy, saucey-ooey-gooey, :( "ewww, I don't like that" stuff that you and would LOVE :ROFLMAO:

Is he an alien? From Mars or Jupiter? How can anyone not like all of those "ooey-gooey" dishes? I'm a bit lactose intolerant, but I LOVE those things. Sour cream? Cream cheese? Butter? They make everything better! :yum:

Ooh, I forgot about Minte Cristos.

Hmm, along the same lines is a pressed Cuban sandwich.

Going Asian again, ham can be minced and used in dumplings or eggrolls, or julienned and put in eggdrop soup.

Go Cuban! It is great cubed and simmered in black beans with lots of garlic. Serve of rice.

And, SLOW roast a small pork butt, or even a couple pork steaks, and make this. Hey Lucy, I'm home!

Attachments

• CubanSammy001.jpg
    CubanSammy001.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
How about ham jerky? I've never made it, but other folks on the interwebs have. Obviously no extra salt needed, a brown sugar or spicy flavor might be nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom