What to do with "leftover" chipotles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ELLENM

Assistant Cook
So, I opened the can of chipotle peppers, used what I needed. Now what? can I freeze them? If not, how long are they good for? this is the first time I've used them in a recipe. :rolleyes:

Guess I need to find some easy recipes to use the rest of them.

I often freeze the leftovers from a can in several little ziplocks. I puree it first, a little chipotle can go a long way. I use chipotle in an easy dip (mix with softened cream cheese & your favorite sausage or Mexican chorizo) serve with chips. (A tablespoon or two of this dip is great in scrambled eggs.) It's also yummy with some cream sauteed with shrimp served on rice! You can also add to mayo for a sandwich or panini.

I asked the same question awhile back and was told to freeze them works well, and it sure does! I put them into baggies and just cut off what I need when I make chili, etc.

I just made some Chipotle mayo today to use on panini, but you can use it on any sandwich. I find it goes best with poultry, but it works on beef as well (I haven't tried it with ham). It really adds a nice spicy zip to my sandwiches. Here's how I make mine:

2/3 c Mayo
1-2 pinches cumin
1-2 pinches garlic
1 minced chipotle pepper
1 tsp adobo sauce

This usually lasts me a week or so in the fridge. I keep mine in squeeze bottles, but that's just because I needed an excuse to buy the squeeze bottles. :ROFLMAO:

I too freeze leftover Chipotles and they freeze very well. I chop them fine than place in a small ziploc type baggie. Press as much air out of the bag as possible then close. When I need some, I just cut off a piece and let it thaw for about 20 minutes. Never thought of mixing it with mayo for a panini but what a great idea!
(This is my chipotle colored font. :LOL:)

I just blob them, each with some sauce, out separately on a piece of wax paper & stick them in the freezer. When they're frozen, I peel them off, put them in a plastic bag back in the freezer, & then just pull out what I need for future recipes. Have yet to find any problems with quality.

Try a corn, rice, sausage and chipotle casserole. It's delicious and a whole meal in one dish. The leftover chipotles can freeze well.

So, I opened the can of chipotle peppers, used what I needed. Now what? can I freeze them? If not, how long are they good for? this is the first time I've used them in a recipe. :rolleyes:

Guess I need to find some easy recipes to use the rest of them.

how about some chipotle mayo? great on sandwiches

I freeze them in ice cube trays. But really, the baggie trick works best. Just freeze, then crack them up. I agree that there is way too much of almost any food any more.

Back
Top Bottom