What to replace wasabi powder with in mashed potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i saw a low calorie recipe for mashed potatoes in a book.
it also includes wasabi powder

what can i replace it with if i don't like mustard too?

tnx

could you list the ingredients and quantities, please?

It would really help to understand the recipe and how it could be adjusted.

As far as I know there are only three things that give that nose-tingling sensation musof wasabi. They are wasabi, mustard and horseradish.

How about a bit of butter, some milk or cream, and a little salt and pepper? If you are serving the mashed potatoes with meat and you are keeping kosher, you can replace the butter with extra virgin olive oil and the milk with vegetable broth. Some people have been known to add garlic to their mashed potatoes. I would think that would be an acceptable replacement for the wasabi.

Last edited:
and thanks to all the others as well
i will add some granulated garlic or raw garlic

i don't usually eat kosher

There is no rule that you must replace something if it is something you don't care for.

I make mashed potatoes, with water mixed with homemade powdered bouillon (salt free), garlic powder, onion powder, a touch of lemon juice and we salt it when we eat (we eat pretty low salt and no oil).

great!
anyhow
daikon, if available at all is hard to find here i guess

for some reason it is rare to find onion powder too..

Wow, how strange, the daughter of a friend just came back from somewhere around there and was saying she had just tried White Radish or Diakon radishes for the first time there and loved them. She didn't elaborate on what dish they were in.

edit:
could it be known by another name?

If you want to replace the wasabi because you don't like it, you have some good suggestions. If you want to replace it because you can't find it but still want the heat the wasabi provides, consider horseradish. Wasabi is a type of horseradish.

i'm not a fan of these sort of vegetables
maybe they do available and i haven't been noticing
i think that in passover they might be more common

lately there are more foreigners in israel and they look for more exotic vegetables
they are also hard to find and mostly available in southern tel aviv

radishes are common but not the daikon kind i think

do daikons taste like radishes or like horseradish

BTW
i know that almost every wasabi is actually a horseradish :)

in hebrew, a radish is called tznon or tznonit for the baby radish

Last edited:
Horseradish would be a good substitute for wasabi. You should be able to get prepared horseradish in the condiment section.

Oh - and I see that horseradish is commonly used during Passover! it should be easy to find.

Are you using the mashed potatoes as a side dish or as the base to put something on top of? If I'm going to put a sauce or meat on top of my mashed potatoes, I often just mash them with some of the potato cooking water. That's about as low calorie as you can make mashed potatoes. Well, you could substitute some of the potato with something lower in calories, like celeriac (celery root).

Are you using the mashed potatoes as a side dish or as the base to put something on top of? If I'm going to put a sauce or meat on top of my mashed potatoes, I often just mash them with some of the potato cooking water. That's about as low calorie as you can make mashed potatoes. Well, you could substitute some of the potato with something lower in calories, like celeriac (celery root).

Celery root is yummy. You could also use sun chokes (Jerusalem artichoke) When cooked, and mashed, it has the texture of cooked potato. It's a member of the sunflower family, but the roots of the plant.

Cooked parsnips can also be mashed, and work well with mashed potatoes. Swedes, or in my neck of the woods, rutabagas, are also great when cooked until tender, and added to potato dishes, mashed, baked, or fried.

Seeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom