What to serve with cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siegal

Sous Chef
I have a whole thing of buttermilk left over from a cake I made. I thought I would make corn bread with it(never made it before although I have had it a few times- once at someone's house and a few times at Mesa grill). What do I serve it with? I wanted to do buttermilk fried chicken (never had it but heard good things when I googled buttermilk recipes) to use up the milk but my husband still has a bad association of it being the last meal he ate before he got a stomach virus. Any ideas?

Butter and honey :D

Tea/coffee
Chicken - Any style
Breakfast - Eggs, meat etc
Actually any meal and serve the cornbread as the bread with the meal.

i'm sorry to do this to you, but is it sweet or savory cornbread?

you might be shot for the wrong answer.

real bbq, lol, more shots fired (fortunately, johnny reb is yellow bellied and poorly armed), works with both.

:D

Last edited:
buckytom said:
i'm sorry to do this to you, but is it sweet or savory cornbread?

you might be shot for the wrong answer.

real bbq, lol, more shots fired (fortunately, johnny reb is yellow bellied and poorly armed), works with both.

:D

There are two types? The one I had at Mesa grill had jalapeños in it so savory is the only way I have had it?? But it was also kind of sweet. Hmmmmm. What's the difference exactly? I wanted to make it for dinner today. I am just not sure what to serve with it. In thinking some mort of chicken and white bean chili as people suggested chili

Last edited:
I have a whole thing of buttermilk left over from a cake I made. I thought I would make corn bread with it(never made it before although I have had it a few times- once at someone's house and a few times at Mesa grill). What do I serve it with? I wanted to do buttermilk fried chicken (never had it but heard good things when I googled buttermilk recipes) to use up the milk but my husband still has a bad association of it being the last meal he ate before he got a stomach virus. Any ideas?

You could always use the extra buttermilk in mashed potatoes (w/ chives), buttermilk pancakes, or Buttermilk (Ranch) dressing.

Or, turn the cornbread into croutons for a Southwestern-like salad, make a Mexican-like Strata, or cornbread pudding.

Well I'm from West Virginia so I have to say serve it with a pot of pinto beans, and buttermilk never sweet cornbread! :yum:

I don't think I've ever had sweet cornbread. Are we talking some sort of dessert?

The best cornbread I had was in New Mexico. It had chopped green chiles and bits of corn in it. Definitely savory.

Sweet cornbread is usually moist and more like a muffin in consistency than savory in my experience. I like them both depending on what they are with. Ham and beans or chili is savory. As a "bread" side to any other meal, sweet.

Folks in the northern part of the country put sugar in their cornbread. A corn muffin in the morning with your coffee is big in these here parts. Cornbread with beans and hot dogs. St Patrick's Day is coming up. A boiled dinner with cornbread is also a tradition here on that day. Right now corn beef is on sale everywhere. :chef:

Folks in the northern part of the country put sugar in their cornbread. A corn muffin in the morning with your coffee is big in these here parts. Cornbread with beans and hot dogs. St Patrick's Day is coming up. A boiled dinner with cornbread is also a tradition here on that day. Right now corn beef is on sale everywhere. :chef:
I have one simmering at the moment. :chef:

I like my cornbread sweet. Besides just eating it, (with fried fish, for instance) I like to break it up in my ham'n beans, chili, crowder peas, or just about any soup. It's also great with a big pot of fresh cooked green beans with chunks of ham.
My grandpa always liked leftover cornbread crumbled up with milk over the top.

A sweeter, not super sweet, corn bread is moister...I think. I can eat that. I'm not a huge fan of corn in the first place, but I do want corn bread with my bean dishes.

I made it! it was kind of sweet but not cake like? I served it with white bean and chicken chili. It was awesome!

sounds good siegal.

southern corn bread is not really sweet. whatever sweetness it has is natural from the corn.
northern style is definitely sweet from added honey or sugar.

i like them both, especially with jalapenos baked in it.

I made it! it was kind of sweet but not cake like? I served it with white bean and chicken chili. It was awesome!

To make it cakelike you would have to change the amount of flour to the cornmeal. The sugar does not make it cake like. Most recipes that call for sugar, usually call for only two or three teaspoons.:)

Last edited:
Chili camp for me. Great food, and a lead belly meal on a Sunday. . . or any day/night.

All this talk of sweet v savory, I am a little lost. As long as I have been stateside, and one of my first kitchen jobs being in a low brow, country fare type of place, Corn bread has always been cornbread to me. Only difference I have ever encountered was in texture. . .over mixed, and dense as hell, or, mixed until the batter cam together, leave the lumps as they will bake out, and it results in a pretty light, and "fluffy" corn bread.

I love cornbread done like spoon bread too. That, I associate more with breakfast, and some rich country sausage gravy.

Back
Top Bottom