What to use croutons for other than salads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhoj

Assistant Cook
I have a bag of Croutons from GFS and would like to know what I could use them for other than Salads?

Is there any recipes for croutons that other foods use?

I was going to throw them out and get thinking about what if there is other uses for them.

We use a big one in French onion soup. When I make sauerbraten, I stuff the potato dumplings (kartoffelkloesse) with a stiffing that uses small herbed croutons.

A topping for a baked chicken dish that uses cream of mushroom/chicken soup, swiss cheese and white wine.

Can one grind them up and use them to roll chicken in? Would you need to season the chicken than? Yes they are the large ones.

Can one grind them up and use them to roll chicken in? Would you need to season the chicken than? Yes they are the large ones.

I guess you could, but you still need to salt and pepper the chicken, IMO. You can do that directly or in the flour and/or eggs that you need to coat the chicken in before the crumbled croutons, in order to make them stick.

Potato Dumplings (Kartoffelklöße)

Ingredients:

· 6 russet potatoes, peeled and diced

· 1 cup flour, sifted

· 1 egg, beaten

· 1 Tbs Salt

· 4 tsp butter, melted

· ¼ tsp pepper

· 1 Tbs onion, chopped

· Croutons

· ½ cup dry breadcrumbs

Instructions:

Boil the potatoes until a paring knife inserted in a potatomeets little or no resistance. Press the potato through a potato ricer and addthe flour, egg, onion and seasonings to form a dough.

Roll the potato dough into balls about the size of a golfball. Press each ball down to flatten, insert 2 or 3 croutons into the center,and roll the dough around the croutons to form a dumpling.

Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil. Slowly lowerthe dumplings into the boiling salted water and boil them for 8 to 10 minutes.Remove the dumplings from the water with a slotted spoon and drain them onpaper towels.

Combine the butter and the breadcrumbs and spread them on aplate. Roll the dumplings in the buttered breadcrumbs to coat.

Potato Dumplings (Kartoffelklöße)

Ingredients:

· 6 russet potatoes, peeled and diced

· 1 cup flour, sifted

· 1 egg, beaten

· 1 Tbs Salt

· 4 tsp butter, melted

· ¼ tsp pepper

· 1 Tbs onion, chopped

· Croutons

· ½ cup dry breadcrumbs

Instructions:

Boil the potatoes until a paring knife inserted in a potatomeets little or no resistance. Press the potato through a potato ricer and addthe flour, egg, onion and seasonings to form a dough.

Roll the potato dough into balls about the size of a golfball. Press each ball down to flatten, insert 2 or 3 croutons into the center,and roll the dough around the croutons to form a dumpling.

Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil. Slowly lowerthe dumplings into the boiling salted water and boil them for 8 to 10 minutes.Remove the dumplings from the water with a slotted spoon and drain them onpaper towels.

Combine the butter and the breadcrumbs and spread them on aplate. Roll the dumplings in the buttered breadcrumbs to coat.

Some folks might like this, but I would never use it. I never boil potatoes for dumplings or gnocchi. Too much moisture requiring too much flour. I want a potato dumpling not a flour dumpling.;)

I was going to say stuffing/dressing, but was beaten by a worth fellow member. There are great ideas posted. But I will give still another idea.

Croutons are great for dipping into a fondue of wonderful cheese, or in aj jus, or tossed with PB&J. Don't think I'd try to mix them with unset jello though:LOL:.

If in a pinch, dip in honey, or sprinkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon. You could then eat that plain, as a snack, or put into a bowl with milk and treat is as a homemade cereal.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I use my "No Burn" baked croutons recipe that is so good, they seldom see a salad but end up being eaten for a snack instead!

Back
Top Bottom