What would be the perfect meal to cook for someone you've just started dating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the first thing I would do is observe what he eats. If you are having a meal at his house, see what he eats/prepares and what is easily seen around his kitchen. Then, when you eat out, make a note of what he orders and what menu items he seems interested in and/or comments on. These observations should give you some clues as to what he prefers.

Then, you may (casually, of course) have a discussion about food. You might even open it by mentioning that you are a member of a food forum. That might break the ice.

Once you've done your homework, you should have some idea as to what to prepare.

Beyond that, don't begin with anything too elaborate. You'll feel too much pressure and the anxiety to produce a "fabulous" meal will ruin all the fun of preparing it.

I don't know where you live but, if it's summer, you could create a lovely picnic or a meal of a beautiful and hearty main dish salad, along with some crusty bread, a bottle of wine and a simple dessert.

If it's early in your dating time with him, I'd stick with the K.I.S.S. method, then expand as your relationship deepens.

Katie has the answer.

Don't make anything that qualifies as his Mom's specialty. You can't win.

Katie has the answer.

Don't make anything that qualifies as his Mom's specialty. You can't win.

Double "Amen" to that, Andy. This is NOT the time to compete with anyone. Just be the best yourself you can be. Gotta think ahead. If this relationship becomes permanent, that's who you'll have to be anyway. May as well start out that way. Besides, you'll be much more comfortable and confidant if you do.

Sweet. Baked beans on toast it is! LOL! Just kidding, in all seriousness you're absolutely right. KISS principle is a good one to follow. I'm thinking maybe a picnic, involving blue cheese etc to start with.....thoughts?

Well...as long as the beans are homemade and the toast is from your own freshly baked bread.:LOL:

I think I would do this thinking backwards. That is, consider the location for the picnic first. You'll want a place that is comfortable, beautiful and, perhaps, somewhat secluded. Area parks are nice, but they can have pets, loudly playing children, etc.

Is there a particularly lovely place you two have been? If so, would it be a pleasant place for a picnic? Think about this.

Now, since we eat with our eyes as much as with our palate, do you have some pretty dishes and linens that would be suitable for a picnic? If you don't, and you think this guy is worthy, you might go to the store and have fun in the china and linens department. Because there'll only be the two of you, purchasing a couple of pretty plates, glasses, a cloth and colorful napkins shouldn't break the bank. And, besides, you'll have a great time creating your "event."

Here's a place you can touch on his likes. Does he like the seashore, the woods? Whatever the case, I'll bet you can find some things to relate to his interests. Little touches like a napkin ring with a shell on it or a pine cone convey that you think he's worth a little extra.

As for the food, why limit yourself to blue cheese? How about an assortment of hard and soft cheeses, along with a variety of crusty breads and gourmet crackers? Then, since fruit pairs so nicely with cheese, an array of colorful fruits. Add some wine or sparkling water and you have a simple picnic. If you need dessert, you could either include some cookies (homemade, naturally) or, before the picnic, stop with him at a good bakery and pick out something together. This little step will give you some idea how he feels about sweets.

Your little picnic is easily prepared and just as easily enjoyed. Plus, it requires a minimum of utensils, which means you could eat most of it with your fingers. In my book, that can be sensually romantic. Clean-up and put-away should be next to nothing, too.

That's my take on your query. Bon appetit!!!

Depending on whether you have the picnic midday or early evening, these foods won't require any heavy refrigeration or create a concern for spoiling.

As a guy, I somewhat disagree with Katie though XD

Guys.. I mean, at least some guys, we don't really notice little details put up by the women lol. If you are dating a guy like that, too much detail will be in vain and the effort on that could have been channeled elsewhere. Of course, it depends on your guy.

My suggestion is to find out whether he prefers visually appealing food or rustic food. The latter, which I happen to be, tend to be very picky about the taste of the food, it just have to be right, yet the looks don't matter at all. My gf happens to be the former, and she's usually awed by how my food looks, and doesn't really care if I made certain mistakes in the food that messed up the flavor.

Hopefully, knowing this might tell you where to put your effort on.

P.S. if the guy is someone who has little gourmet knowledge (for example, I can't tell the difference in wine taste!), too much emphasis on gourmet-ness might scare him! Maybe a simple, tasty, comforting homemade dish is all he wants.

Last edited:
I would go for a hearty man friendly meal. Make him a steak or a beef and onion pie or something that doesn't scream I'm afraid of eating! Make a nice dessert to go with it or just a simple Irish Coffee and maybe a few truffles. Go easy on the garlic (garlic breath) and no spinach, ribs, or food that's messy and smelly lol!

Make a risotto, mushroom is easy. I never got the whole risotto is hard thing, it's one of the hardest things to screw up if you ask me and it tastes awesome.

Uncle Bob said:
Cook something that you are comfortable with (good at making)......As long as it's not in his Top 10 list of most hated foods/dishes.

Luck!

I agree. My first BF meal was spaghetti with meat sauce, and he loved it.

Thinking BLTs would be relatively foolproof, corn on the cob with lots of butter, with fresh grapes or cherries for dessert.

Last edited:
Mixed cheeses, cooked meats, smoked salmon, some cold new potatoes, coleslaw, chopped salad, crusty bread and butter, fruit and maybe home made muffins?

Water and wine - one of you will be driving most likely.

A picnic is a good idea and is less pressure than being in your home - you can always go home afterwards if you want to ;-)

Enjoy

Liz

Breakfast in Bed, may I suggest a brace of bellini's, scrambled eggs with lox, warm croissants, greek yogurt with honey and chopped nut.:bounce:

well, since you're a teacher, i'd say it doesn't matter. the best part about dating a teacher is that if you get something wrong, they make you do it over and over until you get it right. :D

Tom mate you have added a whole new dimension to my foetid mind, standing in the corner with a funny hat on:angel:

I would go with something you can pick at and still chat. Some small salads, I know most guys would probably prefer a hearty meal but some people get uneasy about eating on the first date and I don't know about you but I loose my appetite completely. I would go with tapas like dishes.

I can only offer you advice on what NOT to eat. Anything that is messy. For example, ribs. Nothing worse than trying to make a good first impression when your face, hands, and clothes are covered in barbeque sauce. :LOL:

Anything with long noodles can also be a challenge to eat without looking piggish. :pig:

Back
Top Bottom