What's the difference in "creams?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it is not the same as evaporated milk. Not even close. As for the difference between heavy cream and heavy whipping cream, I'm pretty sure there isn't one but maybe others will have a different take on it.

Thanks...I'm making ice cream & it calls for heavy cream..sure don't want to whip it up :chef:

Heavy cream will only whip up if you want it to! I'd say you can use them interchangeably for whatever the recipe calls for. Just don't use evaporated milk.

What kind of ice cream are you making? Can I lick the beaters?!?

Heavy cream has slightly more fat content than heavy whipping cream but the difference is not important for making ice cream.

I want to amend my answer in the earlier post. The two creams are essentially the same.

I think creams are labeled differently in different regions of the country. I've never seen heavy whipping cream here in Massachusetts.

The difference is the amount of fat in the cream. According to NutritionData.com, the various forms of cream contain this much fat:

• 1 cup of heavy whipping cream has 44 grams of fat, including 28 grams of saturated fat.
  • 1 cup of light whipping cream had 37 grams of fat, including 23 grams of saturated fat.
  • 1 cup of table cream has 46 grams of fat, including 29 grams of saturated fat.
  • 1 cup of half-and-half has 28 grams of fat, including 17 grams of saturated fat.
Evaporated milk is not cream; it's just milk, either whole or skim (non-fat), that has had some of the water content removed.

• 1 cup of canned evaporated whole milk has 19 grams of fat, including 12 grams of saturated fat.
  • 1 cup of canned evaporated skim (non-fat) milk has 1 gram of fat and no saturated fat.

Back
Top Bottom