What's the healthiest food for BREAKFAST?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatrixGravity

Assistant Cook
Please, any professional Chefs here can give me some suggestions? I typically eat a bowl of Kashi cereal for breakfast which is supposedly healthy. OR, I have a boiled egg but that's honestly not very appetizing. Please, what can I make for breakfast that's super healthy and nutritional?

One of my favorite breakfasts is to make curried kale (creamed or not) or spinach (if you buy kale at the grocery store, it can be bitter and tough--I grow my own--but putting it in the freezer for 30 minutes helps sweeten it) and top it with a poached egg (or two). Fresh squeezed orange or grapefruit juice. I skip toast. Poached eggs are easy to do--I have a microwave egg poacher and they turn out perfect everytime. You could try steamed spinach and top it with a poached egg, a little bit of your shredded cheese. Or, you could scramble your egg, dice some tomatoes, cucumber, pepper (I'd include jalepeno), onion, diced ham, shredded cheese, and make a breakfast wrap if you picked up some tortilla shells (and have eggs). Or, you could saute the veggies and add them to the egg as you scramble it or make an omelet. You could put the scrambled egg on a piece of toast. In Norway, smoked salmon is often served with scrambled eggs for breakfast. I make my own tortilla shells, they are easy to make, but you probably don't want to do that. You can buy whole wheat ones. I'd warm the shell first in the microwave, the oven, toaster oven, or skillet.

Last edited:
Fresh fruit. I have that practically every day for breakfast, and it gives me lots of energy. You can also mix it with plain, lowfat or nonfat yogurt.

Last edited:
Greek yogurt has more protein than other kinds of yogurt, so if you want something healthy and want protein, you might consider Greek yogurt in the morning.

As Aunt Bea said, oatmeal, or yogurt and fresh or dried fruit, shredded wheat (non-sugar coated), wheat flakes (non-sugar coated), scrambled eggs, whole wheat or rye toast, or granola (non-sugar coated). Use stevia as a sweetener, it's all natural, no calories, no carbs, zero glucose.

Anything with healthy carbs will help get you going, and sustain the energy some need to really get going in the AM.

Granola, whole grains, dried fruits(natural sugars), peanut butter and cheeses.

I'm having a problem with this one ... because I don't care to eat breakfast. I wake early, and have taken to putting a nutrition bar of some kind in my purse in case I get hungry. Don't get me wrong, I'm ready for lunch at 10:30. But I just am not crazy about "breakfast food". The nutrition bars, are, too me, for people who really want candy and are way too sweet. I really, really dislike milk. So ... mostly, my favorites are leftovers from the night before. Soup, pasta, etc.

I'm having a problem with this one ... because I don't care to eat breakfast. I wake early, and have taken to putting a nutrition bar of some kind in my purse in case I get hungry. Don't get me wrong, I'm ready for lunch at 10:30. But I just am not crazy about "breakfast food". The nutrition bars, are, too me, for people who really want candy and are way too sweet. I really, really dislike milk. So ... mostly, my favorites are leftovers from the night before. Soup, pasta, etc.

There is nothing wrong with that at all. In a lot of the world, breakfast is a bowl of rice, and maybe some veg, and protein if lucky.

And 'healthy' is a relative term. If you're overweight, a lighter breakfast is probably healthiest; if you're a marathon runner, the healthiest brekky for you will probably have plenty of fuel in it.

For me, I consider anything with enough carbs/protein to get me going and not too much fat or sugar a good thing. Usually it's a sandwich, which isn't typical breakfast food but does the trick.

I like to have an omelette with lots of broccoli and red bell peppers in it. I also like fresh fruit!

I start my mornings with a cup of black coffee and a slice of multi-grain bread slathered with peanut butter. I will mix it up from time to time with scarmabled eggs and toast or oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder in it. The Penut butter bread always lasts me until lunch energy wise.

I make my own granola. It is very low fat in that the only fat comes from the nuts. No added fat of any kind. I have that with some warmed milk. Sometimes I'll stir in a tablespoonful of plain yogurt as well.

chocolate
protein powder with milk holds me 'till midday better than any thing else.

Last edited:
Healthiest - oatmeal - absolutely.

And for the best tasting - properly cooked whole flakes - cooked with milk or water - as you wish. But the 'instant' type is BLAH!

Last edited:
If you're overweight, a lighter breakfast is probably healthiest.

Actually if one has a hearty breakfast - oatmeal - and maybe cheese on whole wheat or some such - and some fruit - one can probably slide thru lunch with just a piece of fruit or some such nibble.

Breakfast can be anything you wish it to be. Norwegian children eat sardines for breakfast. Children who families raise reindeer have reindeer meat for breakfast. If you want pasta and meatballs, go right ahead. Who is there to stop you?

I like a glass of skim milk and a big mug of low sodium V8 to take to work. Leftover pizza is the best breakfast.

Breakfast can be anything you wish it to be. Norwegian children eat sardines for breakfast. Children who families raise reindeer have reindeer meat for breakfast. If you want pasta and meatballs, go right ahead. Who is there to stop you?

Exactly, Breakfast isn't a Food.....it's a Time of Day.
Eat whatever foods work best for you; to give you energy and
get you going through the morning. Try to avoid sweets; such as
donuts, jams & jellies etc. They can give you some quick energy,
but then it doesn't last; and then you crave more.

Back
Top Bottom