Wheat Flour vs White Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLMB

Executive Chef
I've run across quite a few recipes in recent times that are calling for wheat flour or wheat flour and white flour.

My guess would be that they are trying to say wheat flour is healthier but my question is not about health.

I am wondering if white flour can be used in place of wheat flour.

I do not like the taste of wheat flour but do not want to waste my time or ingredients if substituting would be a fail.

I can't give you specific recipes .. but there are many .. cookies, cakes, bars etc.

Thanks for any help !

Of course, it's all wheat flour. But whole wheat flour is substantially different from all purpose flour or white flour. (Not forgetting that white whole wheat flour is available.) Whether you can substitute weight for weight depends on what you're making.

First, if common whole wheat flour, which is made with red wheat, is the taste you don't like, try white whole wheat flour. It is made with white wheat and has less of the characteristic whole wheat flavor. (All purpose flour is also made with red wheat, but removal of the bran and germ removes the strong flavor.)

But you can generally substitute white all purpose flour for whole wheat, one for one. Do not attempt to substitute whole wheat for all purpose without testing. Whole wheat, for a couple of reasons, doesn't support gluten formation and so does not rise well with leaveners. (This can be somewhat compensated for with special handling, but it's just not going to pop like all purpose.)

In cookies, bars, etc., you wil simply lose the depth of whole wheat flavor, which seems to be okay with you. If it comes out tasting bland, try the white whole wheat.

whitewholewheat.jpg

Last edited:
Of course, if you have recipes with whole wheat flour you don't like, you could look for alternative recipes. We can help. What do you need?

Of course, if you have recipes with whole wheat flour you don't like, you could look for alternative recipes. We can help. What do you need?

Thanks Andy.

Nothing in particular.

I've been doing some searching around "out there" and have seen some recipes for cookies and bars and such that look great but have wheat flour rather than ap white flour.

For some of those I just can't deal with wheat flour and that is where my inquiry came from. I've never used anything other than basic boring a.p. Some I might experiment with using the wheat but my family is very picky about that .. if I make it I want them to eat it.

Thanks for the info GLC and the offer Andy .. much appreciated !

yes of course the wheat flour Is very important to prepare the cookies however you could look for alternative recipes Tell us what you want and we help you :)

Back
Top Bottom