When did you last try cooking something new? How did it turn out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The very reason I joined here was to find new recipes, I have made a few members recipes, they were all excellent.

my new recent thing was more of an ingredient than a recipe. i ran out of regular breadcrumbs but found a container of panko in my rummaging through the pantry, so i used those instead.

they worked well with chicken parm, and they really helped keep my ground turkey meatballs light and tender. the best i've ever made, in fact.

to heck with 4c or progresso brand breadcrumbs, i think i'm becoming a panko convert.

I made some carne guisada two weeks ago and it came out great - really tasty. I also tried making a lowfat vanilla bean cheesecake and completely boched it - it came out kind of browned and scrambled. What a waste of two vanilla beans :). After studying I better understand the science of making cheesecakes so I will try again (and will give it a proper water bath).

I like to make new recipes and/or try new skills/techniques at least weekly. There is so much to do and learn that I am afraid of running out of time to try all the things I want! :0

I made strip steaks with a wine reduction sauce. To be honest, I was disappointed in the sauce. I think the wine I used simply lacked enough body to partner with the strip steak. Also, it turned the mushrooms an unappetizing shade of puce. If I try it again, I will use a Burgundy wine or perhaps a Merlot.

I made mashed potatoes with buttermilk. It was good but I like my standard smashed taters better.

I also made some roasted cauliflower with Parmesan cheese, which I will make again. It was scrumptious.

It was a meal to try out a few new techniques from my TCU lessons! :chef:

~Kathleen

May sound silly, but the standing rib roast I made the other day. I have cooked other cuts of beef but not a standing rib roast. Oh, how did it turn out? Mmmm...nice and rare!

I made a great new appetizer/munchie for Christmas Eve. It is a smoked sausage and bread thing....so good I almost made myself sick eating it. I am making it again for our Fiesta Bowl munchies tomorrow night! Go Sooners!

A friend gave me a couple of frozen fish that had been cleaned by an expert. They were clean, skinned and the meat looked still alive.

The were thawed earlier today, so I gave them a rubdown with EVOO and added a tablespoon of dill to the garlic butter I had made the other day. I added more garlic and spooned the mixture all over both sides and in the body.

I baked it at 350 until flaky. I sure am glad I baked them whole. They were bony! Fortunately, the meat just slid off the bones and I ended up with a skeleton. I love fresh fish.

May sound silly, but the standing rib roast I made the other day. I have cooked other cuts of beef but not a standing rib roast. Oh, how did it turn out? Mmmm...nice and rare!

That doesn't sound silly to me. I made my first standing rib roast, a small one, just last week. I liked it so much I'm making another right now :LOL:
Gawd I love food :)

i have some brie in puff pastry in the oven. never done it myself, always got t.j. also made some spinach, cheese roll ups in puff pastry. they are very very good. i am munching instead of cooling a reg. meal. happy new year.

A week ago and the egg nog came out perfect, for the first time ever. Also mad Nanaimo bars for the first time two weeks back and substituted hazelnuts for the almonds.

Mad a short cut version of egg nog for New Years Eve with sugar free vanilla ice cream, nutmeg and good vanilla. It was pretty darned tasty.

Made chicken liver pate, also for New Year's Eve. Every time I make it, it's different as I make it about once a year, and never from a recipe. It comes out pretty good though, and the person I make it for loves it.

I try something new, or a new way of making something almost weekly. It's what I do. I've never found a recipe that I can't mess around with, or a technique that I can't alter, sometimes for the better, sometimes I shoulda stayed in bed:ROFLMAO:.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I made tandoori chicken from scratch for dinner tonight. I think it would have been much tastier had I let it marinade overnight, but it was kinda spur of the moment so it only sat in the marinade for an hour.
Served it up with some basmati rice, cucumbers in minted yogurt and made some "naan bread" by brushing flour tortillas with garlic oil and coriander then warming them up on a hot skillet. Everyone loved it! I LOVE COOKING!!

Thanks to the good people here at DC, I make something new every week or so. There are so many good ideas here.

I havn't made anything new in years at this point. Every time I go to cook, someone wants one of the things I've made and they love. Seriously, every time I go to a party, everyone wants certain appetizers I make, so I don't try anything new. Ditto dinners. I'm not big on deserts, but when I do, everyone wants "claire's boozy trifle". When I tell hubby I'm going to try something different, his response is, "But, Claire, we all want ...."

Making an entirely new, from a recipe, dish, for the most part, does not work for a family of two. I try new things, but not new recipes, because I'm not good at math. I mean, seriously, I'm not stupid, but what is one half of one third of a cup. Don't tell me, it will make me feel stupid.

I try new ideas often, new products, etc. But I have a huge library of cookbooks that I'm going to start divesting. I hate to get rid of them, but new ideas in cooking ... well, whenever I want to try something different ....

I havn't made anything new in years at this point. Every time I go to cook, someone wants one of the things I've made and they love. Seriously, every time I go to a party, everyone wants certain appetizers I make, so I don't try anything new. Ditto dinners. I'm not big on deserts, but when I do, everyone wants "claire's boozy trifle". When I tell hubby I'm going to try something different, his response is, "But, Claire, we all want ...."

Making an entirely new, from a recipe, dish, for the most part, does not work for a family of two. I try new things, but not new recipes, because I'm not good at math. I mean, seriously, I'm not stupid, but what is one half of one third of a cup. Don't tell me, it will make me feel stupid.

I try new ideas often, new products, etc. But I have a huge library of cookbooks that I'm going to start divesting. I hate to get rid of them, but new ideas in cooking ... well, whenever I want to try something different ....

No it won't. But if you really don't want to know how to figure it out...because I don't know, either, but I'm willing to find out. It's a pretty simple method.:)

i cooked for the first time ever a beef stroganoff...oh boy it was delicious...recommend that any one should try this one i they havent yet!! i used red wine, garlic, bit of fresh chilli (coz i love it) mushrooms, red onion, doulbe pouring cream and lean top side steak!! mmmmmwah!

my partner makes excellent steak dijon(sorry for spelling) sauce, he did it the first time and now cant stop making it!

I made tandoori chicken from scratch for dinner tonight. I think it would have been much tastier had I let it marinade overnight, but it was kinda spur of the moment so it only sat in the marinade for an hour.
Served it up with some basmati rice, cucumbers in minted yogurt and made some "naan bread" by brushing flour tortillas with garlic oil and coriander then warming them up on a hot skillet. Everyone loved it! I LOVE COOKING!!

jus read this one and now i am going to do that this week!!! uv made me hungry....

:)

fish

After many, many years of cooking I finally made a pimento cheese. Dh wanted some and couldn't find it in the store. Nothing hard about it but I think it needs a little more flavor and can't decide what the flavor is that is missing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom