When did you last try cooking something new? How did it turn out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last month I made fudge for the first time. Believe it or not, I also made (and tasted) rice pudding for the first time. I used the "See's" fudge recipe my mom always used when I was a kid. Both turned out excellent! I also cooked with ground turkey for the first time and everything I've tried so far has turned out well.
I've been afraid to try anything new for the past couple weeks though because I've got morning sickness! Just walking into an unknown aisle at the grocery store makes me a little nervous at the moment.

After many, many years of cooking I finally made a pimento cheese. Dh wanted some and couldn't find it in the store. Nothing hard about it but I think it needs a little more flavor and can't decide what the flavor is that is missing.

When I was a kid there was "pimento cheese" in a jar. It wasn't like the real deal, but had a flavor of it's own that I miss.

I make mine with the sharpest cheddar possible, and add Parmesan for extra bite.

Although most recipes say to drain the pimentos, I never do. I want all that flavor.

The last time I made it, I mixed in some softened cream cheese. It was probably the best batch I've ever made.:chef:

Last month I made fudge for the first time. Believe it or not, I also made (and tasted) rice pudding for the first time. I used the "See's" fudge recipe my mom always used when I was a kid. Both turned out excellent! I also cooked with ground turkey for the first time and everything I've tried so far has turned out well.
I've been afraid to try anything new for the past couple weeks though because I've got morning sickness! Just walking into an unknown aisle at the grocery store makes me a little nervous at the moment.

I assume that you are having morning sickness for the typical reason. Congratulations and ice cream and pickles to you!

I did use cream cheese in the cheese. Maybe the Parm would make the difference.

I did use cream cheese in the cheese. Maybe the Parm would make the difference.

I wasn't satisfied with my Pimento cheese until I tried adding the Parm. It gives it that extra punch that makes it just right.

Fish, if your recipe calls for yogurt in the marinade, be very careful about long-time marinading. A good, live yogurt can actually turn tender cuts of meat into ... mush. A few hours might be better than overnight.

I've never been a fan of avocado - it's a texture thing - but I saw the Good Eats episode about it so I picked a few up from the store (they were on sale - yay!). I made the avocado butter from the episode, and also added chunks of avocado to some quasi-tortilla soup.

I made Mayirisa (Greek Easter soup) for the first time on Saturday using some leftover lamb roast - it was delicious!

Sometime this week I plan on making bagels, which I've never attempted.

Oh yes! And how can I forget the rice pudding - I kinda made it up as I went along combining a few recipes. It turned out great.

Last edited:

Gotta love that avatar of yours. Reminds me of one of my granddaughters;). You and you SIL are doubling the number of my grand-kids this year. And to think, it was just two and a half years ago that I became a grandpa and was deemed officially old (that's what you are when you become a grandpa). But I still rule at hot hands. Sprout, you should have seen your cousin's hands after he challenged me and said those silly, silly words: "Uncle Bob, I hate to tell you this, but I don't hit like a girl. He regretted that statement.:ROFLMAO: And yeh, that was Wes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Today I tried to match Campbells bean with bacon soup from scratch. And I scored HUGE...

...the 'something new' was that I tried Goodweed of the North's directions for my 1st Roux.

Someone had linked to it here...

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/split-pea-soup-61047.html So I went in and by complete serendipity discovered this wonderful application. Holy Cow, what a marvelous technique.

Knowing how to thicken up recipes instead of cooking them down changes everything for me.

That's funny niquejim. I made garlic soup for the first time tonight too.

I used this recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/cream-of-garlic-soup-61101-2.html#post882337

I used mostly chicken stock, with some vegi stock. I added a 1/4 tsp of salt. I cooked the flour for a while before adding the milk and stock.

It was really good. Next time I will use a wooden spoon instead of a whisk. I will also add the flour much sooner than the recipe says, to cook the flour properly without risking over cooking the garlic. I don't want to risk a raw flour taste.

Fish said:
jus read this one and now i am going to do that this week!!! uv made me hungry....

:)

fish

You should do it! Make your tandoori paste from scratch though..,it's so easy with the right blend of spices. These days you don't need to be adding more artificial colors and flavor enhancers to your diet anyway so stay away from ready made tandoori paste!!! I'm not Indian and I did it!!

That's funny niquejim. I made garlic soup for the first time tonight too.

I used this recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/cream-of-garlic-soup-61101-2.html#post882337

I used mostly chicken stock, with some vegi stock. I added a 1/4 tsp of salt. I cooked the flour for a while before adding the milk and stock.

It was really good. Next time I will use a wooden spoon instead of a whisk. I will also add the flour much sooner than the recipe says, to cook the flour properly without risking over cooking the garlic. I don't want to risk a raw flour taste.

Thanks for the recipe and tips, TL. I definitely want to do this one:chef:

Tanduri chicken

Today I am making tanduri chicken. I got the recipe from my mom, but I think I'm gonna add some minced garlic and ginger powder to the marinate. I think it will taste nice. Wish me luck.:)

Back
Top Bottom