When fruit has been in the fridge just a liiiiitle bit too long..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I bought some pineapple Thursday - the produce people cut it for me because I was planning on making a pineapple upside down cake Thursday evening. Unfortunately, I did not have time. It is now Sunday night. I just tasted the pineapple and it is starting to turn - just a little bit. I want to make a PUDC on Monday night for Tuesday. If I use this pineapple what will happen to the taste while/after it is cooked? I find that brown bananas make a sweater banana bread and there is no taste of spoiled in the banana bread.

You mean bananas with brown skin, right, not brown flesh? Pineapple is different; it has much more moisture which will hasten spoiling. I don't cook with it enough to say for sure about the taste, but I would store it in the fridge until you're ready to use it. Maybe even cut it into rings and freeze those, to prevent it from deteriorating further.

I think you will be fine. I find pineapple with some "age" on it to be a bit sweeter.

Last edited:
Thanks! I did put it in my fridge Thursday night - my fridge is pretty cold...so I will test it tomorrow night and see what kind of golden wonder pops out of my frying pan.

What do you mean by "it is starting to turn - just a little bit."? Color, taste, or what?

I nearly always have fresh cut pineapple in the fridge, and the only time I've ever had to discard it is when it turned brown. I also nearly always have a whole pineapple in the fridge and it will last a very long time, even when it's forgotten on the top shelf behind other stuff.

I bought some pineapple Thursday - the produce people cut it for me because I was planning on making a pineapple upside down cake Thursday evening. Unfortunately, I did not have time. It is now Sunday night. I just tasted the pineapple and it is starting to turn - just a little bit. I want to make a PUDC on Monday night for Tuesday. If I use this pineapple what will happen to the taste while/after it is cooked? I find that brown bananas make a sweater banana bread and there is no taste of spoiled in the banana bread.
I bought a pineapple a few weeks ago and then had to scoot off for a few days on urgent family business. When I got back the pineapple had "gone over" and was a brown in patches. It didn't taste very nice so I threw it away.

Bananas are different. They aren't fully ripe until they start getting lots of brown spots.

I used to store fresh whole pineapple in the fridge until I read that you shouldn't do this. Once it is cut up though it can be chilled. (There are several sites all saying the same thing).....don't shoot the messenger! :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom