Where is apple cider in the market?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Where would the apple Cidar (not vinegar) be located in the grocery store. I looked for it everywhere the other day at the grocery store and I'm sure I looked right over it.

Thanks for the help!

Apple Cider is often found in the juice section, probably on the bottom shelf. Some stores also carry it in the produce dept. The best way to find it is to ask!

Last edited:
If you mean cider vinegar, then you probably didn't see it, if it's the drinkable stuff (non-alcoholic) then it should be in the juice section.

What's the difference between apple juice and cider? Here in Canada, if it's called cider, it's alcoholic.

What's the difference between apple juice and cider? Here in Canada, if it's called cider, it's alcoholic.

It's a blurry line between the two here in the USA. Cider is usually an unfiltered, unpasteurized and cloudy (because of solid apple bits in the juice) product. It's most common in the Fall after apple harvest time.

Apple juice is usually filtered so it's clear and pasteurized so it doesn't require refrigeration on the store shelf.

Some bottlers label juice as cider to make it appear better than the competition.

In colonial America, cider was an alcoholic beverage.

jabbur said:
I have some apples and was considering making my own juice but haven't a clue how to start.

A friend has an old cider press, and several apple trees. I have one very prolific tree. We made cider a couple years ago, it's physical labor. There's a crank grinder thing and a filter thing. We pressed a dozen or so gallons. If you leave it alone for a while it starts to bubble from the yeast in the air and becomes "hard" cider, which means it becomes alcoholic though not very strong. If you leave it too long, it turns to vinegar. This stuff was so good that it quickly disappeared. Keep refrigerated or freeze. It is nice with a variety of different apples.

I think electric presses are available as well as the old fashioned crank types.

They sell it here at the grocers and at the farmer's markets in the Fall.

Last edited:
It's a blurry line between the two here in the USA. Cider is usually an unfiltered, unpasteurized and cloudy (because of solid apple bits in the juice) product. It's most common in the Fall after apple harvest time.

Apple juice is usually filtered so it's clear and pasteurized so it doesn't require refrigeration on the store shelf.

Some bottlers label juice as cider to make it appear better than the competition.

Thanks. I don't like the filtered stuff - it's far too sweet for my taste. I like the nice, brown, stuff that hasn't been filtered. It tastes more like apples. :chef:

Around me I think you can only find apple cider during the fall, when apples are harvested. It is usually on display stuck in crushed ice in the produce dept. And there is a big difference in taste between cider and juice. Juice tastes more like biting into an apple, but sweet, cider has a kind of fermented kick to it that grabs the sides of your tongue. At least the stuff they make locally, which is the only kind I buy.

hummm, now that I give it some thought here in CNY cider is a seasonally offered drink. We get it right around Halloween and it's not homogenized so if you neglect it in the refer it'll go hard on you but not enough to matter imo.

andy, i agree with everything you said to clarify the subject of cider and juice except that in the u.s., (non-alcoholic) cider is more often pasteurized than not.

while it is unfiltered as you'd mentioned, it's fairly difficult to find unpasteurized cider in a supermarket except maybe in the fall.

i wanted to try a "back o' the fridge" experiment to see if i could make my own hard cider, but i've only found unpasteurized cider a few times in the last coupla years, and they were at a farmer's markets at an orchard or farm during september and october.

Last edited:
andy, i agree with everything you said to clarify the subject of cider and juice except that in the u.s., (non-alcoholic) cider is more often pasteurized than not.

while it is unfiltered as you'd mentioned, it's fairly difficult to find unpasteurized cider in a supermarket except maybe in the fall.

i wanted to try a "back o' the fridge" experiment to see if i could make my own hard cider, but i've only found unpasteurized cider a few times in the last coupla years, and they were at a farmer's markets at an orchard or farm during september and october.

You could be right BT. I stopped reading the labels a while ago. I'm looking forward to our local farmers' markets opening soon, although fresh cider is still a season away.

oh man, i can't wait for raspberries from my little thicket next to my house, and wild blueberries from around the lakes in a state park i love. july can't come soon enough.

peaches and plums will be up next in early august.

we usually go to weed orchards in marlboro n.y., Pick Your Own Apples at Weed Orchards, Marlboro, NY, Hudson Valley, NY a few times a year.
if anyone's looking for a good orchard in southeastern ny state, this is the place. not exactly cheap, but not overrun with loud nasty people like the orchards have become closer to the city. it's like the orchards i remember when i was a kid, except you can't drive your car down the rows and stand on the roof to pick the ones higher up like we used to. :cool:

back to apples. i have an apple tree in my backyard that is 2 stories tall now. as tall as the house. it produces a ton of apples every year. a big pain the the butt to have to constantly rake all summer, and you have to watch out for falling apples when you're under it, which is a third of the backyard. "incoming!" :shock:

we put our son's sand box under it for shade when he was a baby, but quickly realized that he needed to wear a hard hat while playing in it come late august, lol.

i'd love to get a press and make my own cider. anyone know where to get a cheap one, or how to make one strong enough for apples?

Now I have this mental image of a little kid in a football helmet getting bonked on the head repeatedly and his eyes spinning around while stars circle his head. Too many cartoons as a kid.

What kind of apples on your tree (or under it)?

Back
Top Bottom