Where to start? Best resources for complete newbies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobius

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

I don't have any skills in cooking. In fact, the only thing I can do is make maraconi and cheese and boil eggs.

So, I've decided to take the leap, jump the gun, and dive right in.

To start my journey in the wonderful world of cooking, are there any absolute must-read cooking resources (threads, blog posts, articles, forum posts, books, videos, etc) for beginners that you'd recommend I take a look at? Where exactly should I start?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, it's very difficult to start cooking alone.
My mother and my grandmothers taught me a lot and I began to use cookbooks only after some years.
I suggest you to try a cooking school for beginners.
You do not need to go to a real school, a friend who knows how to cook and wants to help it's enough.
After a few months, you will be able to start using cookbooks, video and so on.

Start with your next meal! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I would encourage you to start with a simple meal that you enjoyed growing up or that you enjoy now and attempt to duplicate it for family and friends.

The folks on this site will be glad to assist you and recipes for almost anything you can imagine are available on the internet.

I think that if you master a few basic meals it will give you the confidence to continue.

I'm a visual learner, so I tend to pick things up more quickly when people show them to me. You might start by looking into a few community ed cooking classes. Even cooking shows and YouTube videos can be helpful.

But if you prefer to learn from a book, there are always time-tested classics like Bombauer's "Joy of Cooking". That's the one I learned from. I apologize if it's a little dated, but it's been a long time since I first learned to cook.

At it's core, learning to cook is simply a matter of learning some new terms and following someone else's instructions. Take it slow, follow each step, and don't bite off more than you can chew (pun intended) right off the bat.

Back
Top Bottom