Which fresh cheese tastes most like aged cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colours

Assistant Cook
Can I ask if anyone knows which of the following cheeses taste most like a regular aged cheese ie mozzarella?
Cottage Cheese, Cream Cheese, Fromage Frais or Ricotta?

The reason I need fresh cheese is because anything other than fresh cheese causes me headaches because of the tyramine that forms as the proteins in cheese that break down over time.

Do you think you could use Cottage cheese rather than regular cheese on a margherita pizza?

Last edited:
tyramine occurs in aged cheeses: cheddar, swiss...a cheese aged more than a week to many months, to years.

Mozzarella is a pretty fresh cheese, the fresher the better. Mozzarella can be made on monday and eaten on monday. It might keep a week or need to be frozen.

Mozzarella differs from the other cheeses you mention mostly by texture and not by taste. It will taste milky, creamy, and cream cheese, cottage cheese, fromage frais, and ricotta, also taste milky and creamy. Mozzarella will melt and become stringy, while the others won't.

Could you put cottage cheese on your pizza? Yes but it won't become a molten stringy topping. Cottage cheese might slightly soften, it might even brown a little, but it will probably keep it's shape.

I hope that helps.

Since they're smoother, I would try fromage frais or ricotta rather than cottage cheese. Or, as bliss mentioned, fresh mozzarella would be good, too. In fact, it's the traditional cheese used on a pizza Margherita.

I would use ricotta cheese that had been allowed to drain overnight in the refrigerator.

If I was using cottage cheese I would whip it in a blender with an egg until it was smooth, add some fresh chopped parsley or basil. The egg will act as a binder and give the cheese some structure, similar to making the cheese filling for stuffed shells.

I would also go easy on the tomato sauce or use only the cheese as a sauce similar to a white pizza.

Good luck!!!

I have used ricotta cheese right out of the carton on pizza in the past. Quite tasty, but it isn't the same texture as mozzarella. While it doesn't have the same flavor either, it isn't a big shock if there are a few other ingredients on the pizza - even a simple one like a Margherita.

Last edited:
Mozzarella is a fresh cheese that's the best for pizza but I have no idea if it contains tyramine. Of the choices you give, I'd recommend cream cheese because it has a bit of tang that may go well on a pizza. I don't like ricotta at all. It's a texture thing.

Another vote for ricotta.

I've had "gourmet" pizzas that used dollops of frezh ricotta instead of mozz on a Margherita style pizza. It was surprisingly good.

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard that Mozz cheese can be also aged and as I do not know how long the pizza shop has had the Mozz cheese I can only assume it was atleast a week old and contained tyramine as I got a headache from it. So I may just ask the pizza shop not to use Mozz cheese and use dollops of frezh ricotta instead. But then again how long will the pizza shop have had the ricotta as its over 1 week tyramine begins to form :(

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard that Mozz cheese can be also aged and as I do not know how long the pizza shop has had the Mozz cheese I can only assume it was atleast a week old and contained tyramine as I got a headache from it. So I may just ask the pizza shop not to use Mozz cheese and use dollops of frezh ricotta instead. But then again how long will the pizza shop have had the ricotta as its over 1 week tyramine begins to form :(
I sympathize with you, I also get migraines from some fermented products.

Look for "Fresh" mozzarella on the menu. Many pizza places make their own due to the fact that it can be used the same day as it was made. It tastes better. Ask when you go in or call on phone the manager should know if they make it in house or maybe how old it is when bought from supplier.

I also agree with ricotta cheese. It tastes very good on a "white" pizza. BUT white pizza usually has mozzarella and grated hard Italian cheeses (parmesan and romano) also on it.

Be sure to call/ask the manager or cook how fresh the "fresh" mozzarella or ricotta is.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Colours, the only other thing that might have tyramine is parmesan cheese if they are sprinkling that on top.
Fermented meats, wine, nuts, chocolate, and tea also have tyramine.

Do you think I would be ok to just ask for Ricotta cheese or Cottage Cheese when I order my pizza? or do I still have to ask how OLD the Ricotta cheese or Cottage Cheese is?

It's up to you. If you want to be sure, you have to ask them. If you're willing to take a risk and try it, that's your choice. We have no way of knowing how old it is and whether it will be a problem for you.

tyramine occurs in aged cheeses: cheddar, swiss...a cheese aged more than a week to many months, to years.

Mozzarella is a pretty fresh cheese, the fresher the better. Mozzarella can be made on monday and eaten on monday. It might keep a week or need to be frozen.

Mozzarella differs from the other cheeses you mention mostly by texture and not by taste. It will taste milky, creamy, and cream cheese, cottage cheese, fromage frais, and ricotta, also taste milky and creamy. Mozzarella will melt and become stringy, while the others won't.

Could you put cottage cheese on your pizza? Yes but it won't become a molten stringy topping. Cottage cheese might slightly soften, it might even brown a little, but it will probably keep it's shape.

I hope that helps.

Blissful, so even in ricotta after 1 week tyramine can develop?

If I buy it in the store how do I know how old it is?

Last edited:
colours, I don't believe that after a week, the ricotta, or mozzarella, or cottage cheese will have developed any tyramine. The fermentation process will probably not start until cheeses have been fermenting for a long while at say 55 degrees F. Fresh cheeses that you mentioned are kept refrigerated at about 35 degrees F, just above freezing to stop any chance of fermentation or of developing mold. You should be safe without having to ask how old the cheese actually has aged, for fresh cheeses.

Dairy-free cheese? I have no idea.

colours, I don't believe that after a week, the ricotta, or mozzarella, or cottage cheese will have developed any tyramine. The fermentation process will probably not start until cheeses have been fermenting for a long while at say 55 degrees F. Fresh cheeses that you mentioned are kept refrigerated at about 35 degrees F, just above freezing to stop any chance of fermentation or of developing mold. You should be safe without having to ask how old the cheese actually has aged, for fresh cheeses.

Dairy-free cheese? I have no idea.

Thanks Blissful, normally in the store all the cheeses are kept in the fridge, but maybe the fresh cheeses are kept at a lower temeperature than the other aged cheeses, but I thought they were all in the same place but maybe they are not and they are in different fridges.

Colours, cheese makers age cheese in a cheese cave, at around 55 degrees F. In special circumstances like swiss, part of the aging happens at room temperature or about 75 degrees F. Fresh cheeses are never aged. Fresh cheeses are put in the refrigerator at 35 degrees F from the time they are made until they are sold or used. Aged cheeses, once aged are then cut and packaged and put in the regular refrigerator case with the fresh cheeses. I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom