Which wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look for a dry white that has little or no oakiness. Sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio are good choices. Non-oaky chardonnay is also good.

If you don't drink white wine, buy a bottle of dry white vermouth and use that. It will last forever without deterioration. That's not the case with the others.

You might also consider a full dry Riesling. Some of the dry ones made in the NW have nice notes and are really lovely. One more benefit - they are easy on the wallet.

Julia Child recommended using dry white Vermouth when white wine is called for. She cited two main reasons: 1) Vermouth keeps for a much longer time than wine (even unrefrigerated!); and 2) it contains 13 herbs and spices, that can't help but enhance whatever it goes into.

I have to admit to following her lead most of the time. Vermouth is also significantly less expensive than most drinkable wines, and comes in 1.5 liter bottles, so I always have some on hand.

Julia Child recommended using dry white Vermouth when white wine is called for. She cited two main reasons: 1) Vermouth keeps for a much longer time than wine (even unrefrigerated!); and 2) it contains 13 herbs and spices, that can't help but enhance whatever it goes into.

I have to admit to following her lead most of the time. Vermouth is also significantly less expensive than most drinkable wines, and comes in 1.5 liter bottles, so I always have some on hand.

I have no doubt that you're right, but to my taste and experience, I've found every vermouth I've tried to be bitter to some degree. (Maybe it's the 11 herbs and spices - Oh, wait, that's KFC! - sorry!)

But I do patronize a local Missouri (St. James Winery) and they have been very helpful in guiding me to the selection of a wine I need for a special purpose or meal. I've been blessed in that they have a selection of International Award Winning wines, but even if they hadn't, I'd still support them with my business because of having access to greater wine knowledge than I have (that isn't hard! :ROFLMAO:) and I like the idea of supporting a local business.

I only have one Julia Childs story, but it supports this same idea.

My father's best friend and his wife live in Ventura, Calif., and she and her daughter are chocolatiers. Their store was the sole source for Julia's chocolate candies while she lived in Santa Barbara until her death, and she maintained a standing order with them for bi-monthly deliveries. When interviewed by some magazine, Julia was asked why she bought only these particular candies, and she answered, "Because, like my fruits and vegetables, I like my candy fresh!"

I've always liked that answer.

I have no doubt that you're right, but to my taste and experience, I've found every vermouth I've tried to be bitter to some degree. (Maybe it's the 11 herbs and spices - Oh, wait, that's KFC! - sorry!)
I don't think you'll find the food you use vermouth in to come out bitter, though.

I only have one Julia Childs story, but it supports this same idea.

My father's best friend and his wife live in Ventura, Calif., and she and her daughter are chocolatiers. Their store was the sole source for Julia's chocolate candies while she lived in Santa Barbara until her death, and she maintained a standing order with them for bi-monthly deliveries. When interviewed by some magazine, Julia was asked why she bought only these particular candies, and she answered, "Because, like my fruits and vegetables, I like my candy fresh!"

I've always liked that answer.

sounds just like her! :)

No don't use vermout. If a recepy calls for wine, if you use a spiced spirit it would change what you are getting.
In tuscany we use, depending on what we are aiming, primarily red wine, full body, and never a cheap wine. This for brasato and bolognese. If white meat, then we would use a white sweet wine like Vinsanto (cherry would be fine).
We know a chef using Brunello for cooking red meat.
White wine we are not using that much, if we do, still with white meat.

dry vermouth straight out of the bottle, quite a shock. Cook with it, smooth and mellow. Never had a problem. I always keep it handy. Box wine: always thought it pale and dull by comparison for cooking. Chill it enough and on a hot day it can be consumed. Price of wine does not determine quality. Availability/scarcity determines price.

When a recipe specifies a type of wine, I try to follow that lead.

No don't use vermout. If a recepy calls for wine, if you use a spiced spirit it would change what you are getting.
In tuscany we use, depending on what we are aiming, primarily red wine, full body, and never a cheap wine. This for brasato and bolognese. If white meat, then we would use a white sweet wine like Vinsanto (cherry would be fine).
We know a chef using Brunello for cooking red meat.
White wine we are not using that much, if we do, still with white meat.

You don't have to use Vermouth, TC, but we have found, over the years, that it works very well not only with meats, but also with vegetables -- whether the recipe calls for wine, or whether we are improvising. Red vermouth is very complementary to pork, as well.

The problem I see of using vermout is a little like using balsamic in excess (for those who loves it) or curry or nutmeg. It becomes something you will find on all your dishes. You might get addicted. Just like spicy food.
It's important, to keep variety, not to have a herb always on your cuisine.
Here in tuscany we might do it with garlic....

I do not believe in any recommendations for wine use. I like to use wine that I like to drink, and I cannot stand dry wines. For example I've been making this dish for a while now and the other day I decided to use the dry wine as per recipe, everybody liked it, I couldn't eat it. I like very simple sweet, bubbly wine, I usually by the whole case of it. It is very light, I think only 6% alcohol, and has a bit of a fizz. It is Italian.

I use t for all my cooking that requires wine use and I love it. Am I making authentic dish - no I do not, do I like it the way I make - yes I do, do I care if people will tell me I am wrong - no I do not. Because it is me who will be eating it, and in all the truth, everybody does like when I make dishes with my wine. Maybe I have been lucky and have not had true gurmans (is it even a word?), purists, tasting my dishes.

Use the wine You like to drink, that’s is my advise.

Back
Top Bottom