White substance used to grease pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj1

Cook
Won't butter or Crisco melt if they are used to grease a baking dish that's baked at 350 degrees for 30 min?
I'm asking because an elderly relative sent me home with a baking dish of extra stuffing and the inside of the pan looked like it had been greased with Crisco that hadn't melted. But that stuffing recipe doesn't call for the pan to be greased. Additionally, there was white stuff that looked like unmelted Crisco on some of the stuffing that had been reheated in the microwave. I'm a bit disturbed by all this because something doesn't seem right. I can't see how that white substance could be Crisco, butter, or lard. Any ideas as to what it could be? I can't think of any other food products that look like Crisco and wouldn't melt in the oven. I'll have to wait a week before I can ask the relative(s) who made it. I'd like to get answers now because I'm worried it may have made some of us who ate it sick.

Crisco melts at 118 degrees. Butter and lard at lower temps, even.

So yes, that stuff sounds suspicious. It it oily like Crisco? Does it smell?

Here are two possible solutions to your problem.
1) Contact your cooperative extension office at a nearby university and ask if they can test the substance or recommend a lab that will do so. It may be expensive and take a while, but you will get an accurate answer.
2)Call your elderly relative and say, "Hey, elderly relative, what is that white stuff that looks like silicone lubricant in the stuffing that you gave me?" If he or she cackles evilly or says, "What, are you still alive?", throw out the stuffing.
3) Actually, you could bypass steps 1) and 2) and just toss out the left over stuffing anyway. And the dish.
Cheers

Here are two possible solutions to your problem.
1) Contact your cooperative extension office at a nearby university and ask if they can test the substance or recommend a lab that will do so. It may be expensive and take a while, but you will get an accurate answer.
2)Call your elderly relative and say, "Hey, elderly relative, what is that white stuff that looks like silicone lubricant in the stuffing that you gave me?" If he or she cackles evilly or says, "What, are you still alive?", throw out the stuffing.
3) Actually, you could bypass steps 1) and 2) and just toss out the left over stuffing anyway. And the dish.
Cheers

...or you could just ask your elderly relative.

She has to wait a week before the relative is available. Check out the last sentence of MJ1's post.

Me, I think I'd pitch it. Hopefully, nobody's gotten sick by now.

Last edited:
Could it just be coagulated cold fat? I know if I make something fatty and then refrigerate it the fat congeals from the cold to a white substance lining my pan (assuming I didn't have any Ingredients that colored it like turmeric or tomato)

Could it just be coagulated cold fat? I know if I make something fatty and then refrigerate it the fat congeals from the cold to a white substance lining my pan (assuming I didn't have any Ingredients that colored it like turmeric or tomato)

This thing has been in and out of pretty high heat, which would melt any kind of fat into the stuffing. So no coagulated fat would remain.

That's the point of the OP

jennyema said:
This thing has been in and out of pretty high heat, which would melt any kind of fat into the stuffing. So no coagulated fat would remain.

That's the point of the OP

In and out doesn't mean it won't re coagulate. She said she reheated it at one point but wasn't clear if white stuff was seen when hot or not hot.

Just trying to help even if I didn't get the point right

In and out doesn't mean it won't re coagulate. She said she reheated it at one point but wasn't clear if white stuff was seen when hot or not hot.

Just trying to help even if I didn't get the point right

Melted fat would soak into the bread unless there was a HUGE amount of it so that it was swimming in it.

I vote for tossing it, but I still wonder what the stuff is.

I sure hope we find out the answer to this. I'm slightly weird about anyone but me preparing my food and this kind of thing gives me the creeps. No way would I eat questionable food from anyone.

I sure hope we find out the answer to this. I'm slightly weird about anyone but me preparing my food and this kind of thing gives me the creeps. No way would I eat questionable food from anyone.

I kind of feel the same way Kayelle. People have good intentions, but unless I know their culinary cleanliness or was there when it was made,
I usually accept the article out of politeness and toss it later. Just being safe.
I was at a friend's house once. She picked up her dog, sat it on the kitchen counter and did something to it's ear........ uhh huh....uhh uhh:ohmy:

I kind of feel the same way Kayelle. People have good intentions, but unless I know their culinary cleanliness or was there when it was made,
I usually accept the article out of politeness and toss it later. Just being safe.
I was at a friend's house once. She picked up her dog, sat it on the kitchen counter and did something to it's ear........ uhh huh....uhh uhh:ohmy:

:sick: Oh I hear ya CM! It's common for some cat owners to think nothing of the little darlings roaming and lounging on kitchen counters. :ermm::wacko: Disgusting in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom