"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

White, wheat, or rye?

Andy's Favorite Meats Question got me to thinking about bread. After all, you need bread if you make a sandwich from leftover meat. Most cafes/restaurants will ask which bread you want when you order breakfast or a sandwich. So I'm asking you. Any kind of bread, even bagels or English muffins or pita/naan. If your bread box was limited to only one bread, could you pick? And which kind?

I'd go with the country white bread I make. It calls for milk and an egg, so it's rich and has a nice crumb. While the recipe uses all bread flour, I'll sub up to 1/2 white whole wheat flour (and add a bit of gluten to keep its shape). I'd miss rye bread and cinnamon-raisin, but I could always sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar and add a few raisins to a slice of toasted white bread. Duplicating rye would be a bit tougher...

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If I could only have one, it would be one of two possibilities: 100% whole rye crisp bread, like Rye Crisp. The other option would be a whole grain, multi-grain bread. That one would probably have to come from a health food store, because I don't want it "fluffy" and I don't want any white flour in it, even if that white flour is unbleached.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #3
Head Chef

Rye breads, for sure, and I have made countless types of rye bread, through the years. Sourdough rye, or versions with long preferments, which makes them similar to sourdough, are my favorites. Potato ryes are also delicious, and I often add a small amount of nigella (a.k.a. Russian caraway), in addition to the large amount of caraway I like in rye breads.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

White, wheat, or rye?

We have Italian scali bread more than any other. It has a good texture and a sesame flavor I really like.

That said, we also like whole wheat, pumpernickel, onion rolls.

Tags
wheat