Who is the pickiest person you'd ever have to cook for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookLikeJulia

Senior Cook
None other than my boyfriend...don't try to serve food with vegetables and seafoods or he won't eat it. He only eats meat and I always tell him and vegetables and seafoods are good for him and he wouldn't listen.

Who is the pickiest person I've ever had to cook for?

They're dead now... they died of starvation.

My son-in-law!

Won't eat onions, mushrooms, olives, lamb, any meat that has a hint of pink or twice-baked potatoes because they look 'suspicious'. I'm sure there's more but that's all I've run into so far.

my parents.

i never knew how picky they were about certain ingredients until i started to cook for them as they got older.

the first time i tried was when my mom broke her arm a few years ago. i went to their house to cook a couple of meals to give her a break (my dad knows there's a room in the house called a kitchen, and that food goes in raw and comes out of there cooked, but that's about it, lol).

i proceeded to cook one of dw's recipes, lemon mushroom chicken, and one of my faves since they live near the beach, calamari and scungilli marinara. :chef:

i found out that mom hates mushrooms, and neither will each squid or conch. :(

now i ask first if they'd eat things before i plan on making them.

A friend of the family. She's quiet about her pickiness though. Not a cooked veggie will pass her lips...ever. Meat and potatoes are ok, but be careful with salads etc.

My son-in-law!

Won't eat onions, mushrooms, olives, lamb, any meat that has a hint of pink or twice-baked potatoes because they look 'suspicious'. I'm sure there's more but that's all I've run into so far.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: "suspicious" that's the funniest thing i've heard today!!!

I never have that problem because I simply don't cater to picky eaters. If you're dining at my house & don't like what's being served, then you simply don't eat. Period.

Now I'm not talking about folks who have food preferences/allergies/ethics. I have no problem with that so long as I'm warned ahead of time. But people who won't eat something without ever having tried it, or who'll never try new things, or who base whether or not they'll eat something by its appearance? They're out of luck at my table.

Wifes family. Parents arent too bad, but her sister and her family are radical about things. They will not eat seafood/fish. We've had family get togethers where they wouldn't come cause there was a fish fry, but also burgers and hot dogs. They will not even try new things. They eat alot of processed foods.

Funny thing, was at a family gathering and there was a crab salad made w/"krab". SIL eats it, loves it, asks how to make it and then went nuts about how she ruined the salad by put'n crab in it. Actually yelled at her aunt in front of everyone. Needless to say, we don't eat w/them very often and my wife does not act like that...if she did she wouldn't be my wife.:mrgreen:

They are the ones who really got me on the kick w/the kids to try different foods, and not to complain or ya look like a dang fool.:mrgreen:

Then again, it's hard for everyone to be as perfect as I am.:rolleyes::ermm:;):LOL:

I never have that problem because I simply don't cater to picky eaters. If you're dining at my house & don't like what's being served, then you simply don't eat. Period.

...But people who won't eat something without ever having tried it, or who'll never try new things, or who base whether or not they'll eat something by its appearance? They're out of luck at my table.

I disagree.

If I've invited guests into my home, I see it as my obligation as host to provide a meal all will enjoy. Why would you invite someone into your home then give them food they don't like?

If you don't want to deal with that, you shouldn't invite them.

I think that a lot of times the name is enough to keep people from trying new things. Mahi mahi is good eating, dolphin fish not so much. My stepson loved calimari until he learned that is was squid. Pack heart, lung, kidneys, and other variety meats in an intestine, call it a hot dog, and kids love it. Try getting them to try any ingredient individually, probably not.

I agree with Breezy, while I will try to accommodate guest's palates, I don't make a big deal of it. You eat it or you don't.

The wheel turns both ways Andy.

If someone is such a picky eater that they rudely go "ewwww - I don't eat that" or push food around a plate when faced with mushrooms,onions,seafood/whatever as a guest in someone's home, then they 1) shouldn't accept invitations in the first place, 2) should suck it up & eat it, or 3) make sure the host knows in advance what they won't eat - & it better not require a full sheet of paper!!

And like I said (which you removed from my quote) - this doesn't pertain to food preferences/allergies/ethics. But if you haven't made known to me your preferences (as in dislikes), allergies, or ethics (vegetarian/vegan), then you have absolutely no business making faces or getting huffy or insulting over what you're being served, & I certainly am not going to cater to you.

I disagree.

If I've invited guests into my home, I see it as my obligation as host to provide a meal all will enjoy. Why would you invite someone into your home then give them food they don't like?

If you don't want to deal with that, you shouldn't invite them.
Elaborating a little, with a guest list of 8 or 10, if I know that one or more has preferences other than the meal I am preparing, I will generally serves two entrees. It is near impossible to accommodate everyone. A buffet works well for large groups, but I have had sit downs for thirty or more. In these cases, multiple dishes are served.

However, if I was cooking for someone who would eat only red meat, I would have a problem.

Elaborating a little, with a guest list of 8 or 10, if I know that one or more has preferences other than the meal I am preparing, I will generally serves two entrees...

I agree. That's one of the ways you manage the situation.

When we have an open house, I always plan several vegetarian foods for neighbors who don't eat meat.

I see both sides here. I always try to make things I know my guests will enjoy. I ask beforehand if there are things I should avoid so that there are no surprises when we sit down to eat. Having said that though, there have been moments when despite my best efforts someone sits down and refuses to eat what they are served. I've been fortunate enough to have had it be folks with manners and they just quietly pick out whatever they don't like. I've been to meals where someone rudely gags and comments about whatever it is they don't like. I find that embarrassing and offensive.

I don't like people to leave the table hungry, but if you don't TELL me what you don't like, then you are playing roulette.

When I'm serving picky people I always make sure I have a LOT of chips and dip out for them to fill up on. Strangely, I've never had anyone NOT eat chips and dip. ;)

...And like I said (which you removed from my quote) - this doesn't pertain to food preferences/allergies/ethics...

I didn't address this as I put it into a different category as you do.

Ethical, religious and medical situations are accommodated.

Here is something to think about. When I'm invited to a gathering/meal, I know it is not to leave w/my belly as full as I can get it. It is to visit, see people, catch up, share, it's not for nourishment or for a free meal. Most people can be happy w/just a little bit(if there is nothing they really like). I see it as being rude to disapprove of a meal GIVEN to you. It is more polite to eat respectively as it is a gift that they put alot of love and work into.

Maybe I'm get'n off topic.

I feel blessed that there's no one in my life who's picky about what they eat. My fiance and I both have small lists of things that we can't eat...but what can you do about allergies? Heck, I'll even eat things I'm allergic to and suffer the consequences if I suspect the meal is worth it.

My mother. She believes that good plain food is the way to go always, and objects to any adventure.

My daughter eats almost everything, but she can be hard to keep up with, because she gets so easily bored. I need to provide regular variety.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom