Why are Taco Bells tacos so good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would you rather breathe: CO2 or Ammonia?

Breathing either one will kill you. ;) I'll stick to plain old air thanks. :LOL:

Dave, I see your point, there is so much done to our food its hard to know whats safe and what isn't. Hard to believe they would allow something that really bad for you to be sold on every corner.

I'm kind of a taco purist, I only like my own homemade ones, so I've never been tempted to buy one as fast food. Gotta say though, the fast food cart idea appeals to me on many levels. Its not something we see here in Edmonton much. Not sure if thats because its so *bleeeeeep* cold most of the year or that no one has really thought of it but not too many food carts around here. *Sigh* I'll have to go visit some of our members in the US to try it out.

I was actually just listening to a podcast with Michael Pollan. He was describing the ammoniated beef. He did not explain in detail how it is done, but what he did say is that they take the trimmings that used to be made into cat and dog food and use ammonia on it to kill any bacteria. He said it ends up looking like "pink slime". That is then mixed in with the normal beef (that is not treated with ammonia) to stretch the meat further.

Breathing either one will kill you. ;) I'll stick to plain old air thanks. :LOL:

Alix,

You clearly slept through science classes.

CO (Carbon Monoxide) is the deadly gas that accumulates by leaving a car running in a closed garage.

CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) is what you EXHALE.

CO2 Controlled Storage (for fruit) simply provides more concentrated levels of CO2 than you normally have in the air and reduces the relative level of oxygen.

John

Alix,

You clearly slept through science classes.

CO (Carbon Monoxide) is the deadly gas that accumulates by leaving a car running in a closed garage.

CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) is what you EXHALE.

CO2 Controlled Storage (for fruit) simply provides more concentrated levels of CO2 than you normally have in the air and reduces the relative level of oxygen.

John
Yep, well aware that I exhale CO2, I am also pretty sure inhaling solely carbon dioxide or ammonia gas will kill me. ;) Sorry, I thought the little winky smiley and the laughing guy would indicate I was being silly.

Can we get back to the topic at hand please?

At this point in the thread, that IS the topic. Clearly, no one's discussing "Why Taco Bell Tacos Taste So Good," anymore, as evidenced by GB's last post about Pink Slime and Ammoniated Beef.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom