Why do steakhouses ask me to cut my steak right away?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danbuter

Senior Cook
Over the last year or so, every time I go into a steakhouse (multiple restaurants), the server asks me to cut into the steak right away. I know they want to make sure it's done, but it's really bad if you want your steak to taste good, as steak needs to sit for 10 minutes or so. I wish this would stop.

Over the last year or so, every time I go into a steakhouse (multiple restaurants), the server asks me to cut into the steak right away. I know they want to make sure it's done, but it's really bad if you want your steak to taste good, as steak needs to sit for 10 minutes or so. I wish this would stop.

Do you ask for it to be very rare or very well done? If so, maybe they want to know if it's right so they don't have to deal with it later.

I believe restaurants allow the steak to rest in the kitchen. You don't need to let it rest when it comes to your table. If the server wants you to cut into it right away, it's to check if the doneness is to your satisfaction. What this really means is they don't trust the person cooking the steaks and they've likely had plenty of steaks returned to the kitchen because they weren't the right doneness. I've never been asked to do this and likely would ask the server why if they did ask me to do it. Is this a Pennsylvania thing to ask customers to cut into a steak to verify doneness? You say multiple restaurants. Were they all the same chain?

Hoss's and Texas Roadhouse both ask. I think one or two other more general purpose restaurants ask, as well, though I can't name them right now (poor memory).

Here's a very interesting essay for prospective waiters on steaks. It offers some good insights on the difference between waiting at a competent restaurant and a less than competent one.

Steak and meat temperatures « So You Want To Be A Waiter

Excerpt:

Should a waiter ask for the guest to cut into their steak to “make sure it’s cooked the way you like”? Opinion is divided on this. My thought is that you’re admitting that your kitchen might not be able to hit the desired temperature. Better to ask if “everything is cooked to your liking” at the first check-back (no later than 3 minutes after service). And don’t ask if the steaks are cooked that way – just ask “if everything” is cooked correctly. It’s best not to show concern about a specific product. However, as always, follow your house policies on this.

I usually only get asked to cut the steak right away when I have sent my overcooked steak back.

I am picky and like mine rarer than most people.

I believe restaurants allow the steak to rest in the kitchen. You don't need to let it rest when it comes to your table. If the server wants you to cut into it right away, it's to check if the doneness is to your satisfaction. What this really means is they don't trust the person cooking the steaks and they've likely had plenty of steaks returned to the kitchen because they weren't the right doneness.

I don't see how any reasonable person could think otherwise.

I like the solution proposed later in the topic: the waiter should check back in 3 minutes and ask if "everything" is okay without specifically mentioning the check. Then they won't erode the customer's trust in kitchen competence.

I've never once been asked to cut it right away.

But a good waiter or waitres will come back quickly and confirm that it was cooked properly.

I honestly don't remember the last time I ordered steak in a restaurant. Steak is one of those things that, at least to me, always seems to taste far better when cooked at home - not to mention it costs about a third of the price.

And if it's overcooked at home, at least I know where the buck stops. :chef:

Ok......this is a HUGE waitstaff peeve of mine. IMO a good server should NEVER ask "is everything is ok?" as the implication is obvious.....they are unsure of the back of the house.
When the server comes back to the table, if the food is not being eaten then CLEARLY things are not OK. Waitstaff should be trained to ask "can I bring you anything at this time?" As this conveys confidence in the people doing the preparing of the meal.
And I have never been asked to cut my steak or begin eating my meal while a server is standing by. That would make me very uncomfortable

Ok......this is a HUGE waitstaff peeve of mine. IMO a good server should NEVER ask "is everything is ok?" as the implication is obvious.....they are unsure of the back of the house.
When the server comes back to the table, if the food is not being eaten then CLEARLY things are not OK. Waitstaff should be trained to ask "can I bring you anything at this time?" As this conveys confidence in the people doing the preparing of the meal.
And I have never been asked to cut my steak or begin eating my meal while a server is standing by. That would make me very uncomfortable

A truly expert career professional waiter is hard to find these days. T'was a time when they were common, and not just in stupidly expensive venues.

I honestly don't remember the last time I ordered steak in a restaurant. Steak is one of those things that, at least to me, always seems to taste far better when cooked at home - not to mention it costs about a third of the price.

And if it's overcooked at home, at least I know where the buck stops. :chef:

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I ordered a steak out. I prefer the way I cook it at home. I don't know the one place (Hoss) the OP mentioned, but as far as Texas Roadhouse goes, might as well be Golden Corral or Denny's.

Back
Top Bottom