Why Do You Cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Why do you cook?

• I feel like a chef: I can eat high quality food that's exactly the way I want it.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I feel like a chef: I enjoy the process as much as the results. (

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • It's economical (i.e., cheaper than paying for someone else's food).

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Dietary reasons: I can make food I like within my restrictions.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • My family needs to eat and my private chef is on strike.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

The Late Night Gourmet

Assistant Cook
First off, I did try to search to see if this question was asked previously, and I couldn't find it, so apologies if I'm retreading an old topic.

This is simply a question of what motivates you to cook. We all have our reasons, and sometimes those reasons change. I'm interested to hear details, but please do vote. And, while the poll does allow multiple choice, please only pick the biggest reasons for cooking (i.e., if you're primarily motivated because you love the process, but you also cook for your family, just pick that you love the process).

Thanks.

Last edited:
I voted in several categories because they apply. I enjoy cooking and we like the results. It's less expensive than buying prepared food or going out to dinner. I enjoy the process of understanding why stuff happens with food and how to manage it so I get the best results.

Oh, and my kids come to visit more often because I make great holiday meals.

First off, I did try to search to see if this question was asked previously, and I couldn't find it, so apologies if I'm retreading an old topic.

This is simply a question of what motivates you to cook. We all have our reasons, and sometimes those reasons change. I'm interested to hear details, but please do vote. And, while the poll does allow multiple choice, please only pick the biggest reasons for cooking (i.e., if you're primarily motivated because you love the process, but you also cook for your family, just pick that you love the process).

Thanks.

So where's the poll?

I should probably explain why I'm separating the love of cooking from cooking for your family, since it makes sense that you'd also love to cook for your family. I knew a woman who ***HATED*** cooking, but she didn't want her kids to have frozen dinners or fast food. So, as any good mother would do, she did what was best for her kids and powered through figuring out how to cook. She's gotten better, but she still hates it (she - and her kids - are happiest when she orders pizza for dinner).

This would be a classic example of someone who feels obligated to cook for her family, but doesn't have any other motive. I don't suspect there will be many people like her on this forum!

I cook because I want to use fresh ingredients and I want to make sure that I cook healthily, with fresh ingredients where possible and without to many preservatives. I go to a lot of trouble to provide my OH with a healthy diet, and I also want to do the same. I've always done that. I'm now nearly 70 and my skin is still good and I'm still in good health, and I fervently believe that a healthy diet has an important role to play. The only preservative I ever use is wine, good quality, that will pickle me from time to time. I spend hours in my kitchen, which, to anyone who comes to my house can see what a working kitchen it is. I also find cooking fresh is fun and relaxing, so it's also therapy, and that counts a lot as well.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

We like to cook, try new cuisines, don't trust restaurant seafood for the most part and our home cooked food is better than most restaurants.

Cooking is relaxing for me. Something I want to do and does not make unreasonable demands from me or my time. Besides, I love to eat.

Cooking is relaxing for me. Something I want to do and does not make unreasonable demands from me or my time. Besides, I love to eat.
I too find cooking relaxing. I also like the compliments and that others enjoy what I make. I can't say that I love to eat, but I love the creativity that cooking allows me. And, I love doing the kitchen dance:LOL:.

I'm a bit of a creative type. I cook because I enjoy it, and it's relaxing to me too. Baking, not so much. Too restrictive.

When I moved out from home after graduating from high school it wasn't long before I missed home cooking. I use to help my mom in the kitchen as a kid and never gave it much thought and cooked the way I remembered my mom doing.

I got better and better without internet or cookbook. Growing up with 13 Chanels on tv you watch a lot of PBS and I liked the cooking shows.

Years later came across a cookbook for free and thought there is always something new to try. I looked at it this way, if I can pull a engine and transmission out of a old muscle car and install it in a another one and drive it same day. I can read and understand a cookbook.

Long story short, I like food. I like the challenge of something I haven't done yet and I enjoy doing it. Hey who doesn't like picking up a new tool weather it's for the kitchen or the garage:)

Fun example: Apple pie just out of cast iron skillet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
What Andy said. But I have an issue with my circumstances. DW has a very narrow range of things she can, and can not eat, or should I say will or will not eat. this puts an onerous limit on my ability to try new things, or even make some the the really great things I used to make, that all of my family, including DW, used to love. I feel like I'm in a straight jacket.

I loved cooking for the creativity, the chance to experiment with new ideas, the great pleasure of making something great for those I love, knowing how different techniques and ingredients chagned the foods I was making. Now, I cook mostly to satisfy what she will eat, and maybe make something small and interesting for me to eat. And I hope she never sees this post.

I understand some of the reasons why she limits what she will eat. But much of her food picks are a mystery to me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

...This is simply a question of what motivates you to cook...
1) Cooking is therapy for me. It's relaxing, challenging, and exercise all at the same time. "Exercise" because I cook frequently with cast iron (weight-lifting) and many of my appliances and supplies are in the basement or the other side of the long kitchen (walking, stair-climbing).

2) I'm a tightwad. It used to frustrate me when we would go out for a mediocre dinner and spend as much as I would need to feed the two of us for three or four dinners.

3) The longer I've cooked, the better I've become. Hence, our restaurant choices have diminished. Now when we go out to one of the few places we really enjoy, we are concerned less with the overall cost because the quality is so good.

4) I'm picky as all get-out in selecting my ingredients. I know I'm using the best available (within reason). Not sure how many restaurants are as picky.

When my children were growing up and it was summertime, We all would be sitting outside chatting while the kids played. Come 3:30-4:00 the mumbling would start. "I have to go and start supper. I haven't the foggiest idea of what I am going to make. I hate cooking." Not me. I have always loved cooking. My mother had polio and it was difficult for her to walk. So I made sure I was always available to help her. I am the one who went over to the stove to stir the pot. Light the fire under a pan. And about the time I turned 12, I was the one that did the family grocery shopping. So as a youngster, I learned to cook at my mother's knee.

Then when I married, it was to a professional chef. I learned even more from him. But we had a rule. Unless I asked, he never criticized what I cooked. Then one time when I asked him how to make a certain dish, he consulted his hand written book and started to read off the ingredients. Six cups of sugar, Two bushels or 25 pounds of apples, One half cup of cinnamon, etc. All I wanted was to make was just one simple apple pie. He was given me his recipe for making enough pies for more than 100 people. So I went and dug out his copy of The Joy O Cooking. It was the very first edition. Today my son Spike has it and has several offers for it. Sorry folks, not for sale. I read that book cover to cover. That book led to my love of cookbooks.

Well, the years have passed and due to health considerations, I have to cook only foods that I can eat. I miss eating salads, certain veggies, etc. But I do have three children still living close by. So when I am in the baking mood, they get to have their childhood favorites. And there are about 17-18 grand and great grand children. They too let me know their favorite foods when a birthday or special holiday rolls around. And I am only too happy to make it for them. I may not be able to eat any of the goodies I make, but I do enjoy seeing them eating it.

Last edited:

Fun example: Apple pie just out of cast iron skillet

Nice, very nice. Care t share the recipe? Please.

As far as poll. There so many answers and none of them really fit the questions of the poll.
To summoned up, I like to eat. Not even that I like to eat, I need to eat, we all do. My wife doesn't cook, but she does the dishes. I hate doing dishes and I do like cooking (shhh, don't tell her that, I've been telling her that I am doing it out of necessity). That is it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom