Why Is It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
If you cook a whole chicken in the oven, you are roasting it but if you cut that same chicken up into pieces you are baking it?

If you cook whole potatoes in the oven, you are baking them but if you cut those same potatoes into pieces, you are roasting them?

The question is: Do you bake your roasts? Why aren't you roasting your baked goods?

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the difference used to be more clear but it has blurred because of modern appliances.

It used to be that in general, large, whole, structured things were roasted over an open fire - outside or in a hearth - to break them down, while less structured things were baked in an oven to give them structure. There are exceptions, like potatoes, probably due to the way language has changed from the past. Unless, of course, you're roasting your whole potatoes wrapped in foil in a campfire ;)

More info here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/baking-vs-roasting

Last edited:
Some good information in that link. I remember another discussion on this topic. Might've been here or on another forum - I don't recall.

One of the things I remember reading was that until a few centuries ago, unless you were very wealthy, chances are you wouldn't have an oven in your home. Most of the ovens back then were owned by public bakers, or sometimes the villages themselves, and were only used for baking. Many family meals, on the other hand, were roasted in a hearth over an open fire.

So originally, roasting meant cooking over an open fire, while baking meant cooking in an enclosed oven. As GG points out, the lines have become blurred as we've invented new appliances and cooking methods. I suppose language has just struggled to keep up.

Thanks, GG and Steve.

My OP was intended to be more of a Steven Wright kind of question. Similar to "Why is it we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?"

The fizz, the fazz, the fizz faz, the ..., the ... and the one that goes WHOOSH!

Carlin “Toledo Window Box” :LOL:

If olive oil is from pressing olives, and peanut oil is from squeezing peanuts, where does baby oil come from?

Back
Top Bottom