Why isn't lamb a popular meat in the west

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
lamb is very popular in the orient and South Asia. It is very tender and juicy and good tasting. But I never see it for sale in grocery stores and don't know anyone who eats it other than at foreign restaurant. Could it be that the thought of butchering a young sheep turns us off. A lamb is newly born and hasn't developed its teeth yet.

I like lamb. I can usually find New Zealand lamb in the freezer section of supermarkets. I'm in Canada, so I don't know if the same is true in the US.

Apparently, a lot of people find the taste of lamb too "gamey". I like the way it tastes of lamb and not just some generic red meat. But as the Chief wrote, it's kinda pricey. We often get lamb with Indian or Greek food.

It's more expensive, though available.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

+1 on Chief's words.

We can find it, but it is usually on an upper shelf and, as mentioned, it is usually pricey. I find the best choices for lamb at Costco. And, Costco has great meat.

I remember, once upon a time, in L.A. during a grocery clerk "strike"...there were certain markets that it was "okay" to cross the picket line. While shopping in meat department, DH noticed the lamb chops were some ridiculous price like $27/per pound, I think it was. DH commented to me that "No one will pay that price!" The butcher overheard and said, "Someone will!"

Nothing like lamb chops on the BBQ grill!

I wish lamb wasn't so expensive, as I really like it. I have always liked it, even when Mom cooked it to death, which was done with everything back then!

I never understood why people call this "gamey". Just because it has a flavor of its own, unlike the usual meats they are used to? I've actually eaten mutton a couple of times - even more highly flavored, and liked that, as I had it in some highly flavored Indian dishes, where it tasted really good.

I grew up eating a lot of lamb. Now I use it occasionally but not as much as I like because SO is not a fan. She's OK with it in my lamb and string bean stew and half and half with beef in my meatloaf. When she's not here for dinner, I'll sometimes make myself a rack of lamb.

I like the lamb at Costco as it's Australian lamb which is much more flavorful than American raised lamb.

I love lamb and have a wonderful recipe for barbecued lamb ribs. Tasty, tasty, tasty. The sauce is super.

The comments I've heard from folks who don't like it they say it tastes "soapy." Not my experience.

As for mutton. Love that, too, especially smoked over a wood-fired pit, then pulled and served with barbecue sauce. It's a favorite in our area.

I can get my fill and take some home after visiting the historic "Fancy Farm Picnic." But, be aware, August in Kentucky is HOT and HUMID!

Look here for what I'm talking and come on down and enjoy crazy political crap, games, bingo, a raffle usually for a brand new pick-up truck, and lots and lots of barbecue: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...-political-picnics-notable-moments/ar-AAMQbjQ.

This describes why lamb isn't popular in the United States. It's much more popular in the United Kingdom and Europe. Basically, cattle ranchers had more government support in the 1800s and soldiers coming back from World War II who were fed nasty canned Australian mutton didn't want it after they returned home. So there isn't much of a market for either lamb or mutton here.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ut-of-favor-in-the-u-s-can-it-make-a-comeback

I love lamb and make it as often as I can. DD#2 and I like it better than hub and DD#1. We like it cooked with garlic and lemon. Usually served with noodles in a garlic béchamel sauce.

Agree with GotGarlic. Also, suspect the cattle-sheep price difference has to do with scale and subsidized grain in the beef industry. I hope lamb becomes more popular. I buy it at the Mediterranean Market where it doesn't compete with pork due to halal and kosher dietary restrictions. If lamb becomes more popular, I bet it is driven by ease of market entry to smaller pasture-fed meat producers.

This describes why lamb isn't popular in the United States. It's much more popular in the United Kingdom and Europe. Basically, cattle ranchers had more government support in the 1800s and soldiers coming back from World War II who were fed nasty canned Australian mutton didn't want it after they returned home. So there isn't much of a market for either lamb or mutton here.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ut-of-favor-in-the-u-s-can-it-make-a-comeback

Thanks for the link. That was interesting. I knew there had been bad blood between those raising cattle and those raising sheep. Now, I am curious to read more about that part of the story.

I love lamb and Jeannie likes it ok.

I don't purchase and cook it as often as I used to. I was surprised to find lamb chops and racks in Aldi, a few weeks ago. I bought it more frequently when living close to a Costco. One has just opened here (last month) and we will join and start shopping there soon.

In the 90's I grilled for a grocery/meat market catering company. We had a warming oven in the meat department and I often grilled leg of lamb. It always sold out quickly. Second in popularity only to our steak sandwiches.

Ross

Lamb is the only meat I use for shepherd's pie. Shepherds herd sheep, not cows or turkeys. I like to make fresh chorizo with goat, when I can find it.

Yes, they do, but not ground goat. But now I have a meat grinder, so...

Amazon Fresh has lamb, but the prices are all over the board, from $7.97 lb for lamb shanks to $43.54 lb for loin chops. Ground lamb is $12.01 lb.

Back
Top Bottom