Why not use 'Canned' olives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I came across the below recipe.
Basically a marinated olive dish.
Recipe calls of green olives.
Says any green olives will do, even jarred ones.
But under the notes, it states NOT to use canned ones.
Why not ?

I've never had canned green olives, only canned black ones, but I've seen them on the shelves.

Im just curious why the author of the recipe made it a point to avoid the canned green olives.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/zeytoon-parvardeh-9968403

I came across the below recipe.
Basically a marinated olive dish.
Recipe calls of green olives.
Says any green olives will do, even jarred ones.
But under the notes, it states NOT to use canned ones.
Why not ?

I've never had canned green olives, only canned black ones, but I've seen them on the shelves.

Im just curious why the author of the recipe made it a point to avoid the canned green olives.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/zeytoon-parvardeh-9968403
I made the mistake of buying canned green olives once. They were not brined or pitted. Tasted nasty and bitter. Maybe that's the reason not to use canned?

Maybe it's a texture thing, larry?

I've had canned green olives from both TJ's and Lindsey and they were delicious. Both called them "ripe green olives". They tasted buttery and mild.

Lindsey sells a canned ripe olive called Lindsey Naturals. It is a green o.live, but tastes just like their ripe black olives. I would think those would be ok in the recipe. Other than that, I believe the bitterness of unripe olives would spoil the recipe, as was stated by the others.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Lindsey sells a canned ripe olive called Lindsey Naturals. It is a green o.live, but tastes just like their ripe black olives. I would think those would be ok in the recipe. Other than that, I believe the bitterness of unripe olives would spoil the recipe, as was stated by the others.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ive tasted those ' green taste like black' olives. I like them a lot , but it kinda messes with you a bit when you see the green and are anticipating the tanginess.

Are green olives just unripe black olives?

Yes, and there there are so many varieties of olives.
I personally like (green) castelvetrano and the little salty black nicoise. I love olives, and tend to buy them at the local specially shops that have them in buckets behind the deli counter. Rarely buy canned olives.
The vacuum-packed olives in oil (salt-cured) are also very nice but also very intense.

I've seen olive trees around here and 'raw', freshly-harvested, uncured olives at the market.
Has anyone here cured olives? I've thought about trying it.

whether ripe or unripe, they both taste terrible without being cured ( one way or another). Just that the ripe one may be softer than the unripe one.

Absolutely right! Never thought of that til you said!

and to quote Vinylhanger.... It never ceases to amaze myself at what I don't know I even don't know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom