Why, on earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Supply and demand? Did something make it suddenly popular, more than it was before? I guess I'm lucky I have a supply in my pantry - maybe the price will come down by the time I look again!

Not sure what you paid, Rick.

I just bought Marukan Rice Vinegar, 24 oz for $8.
I've never looked at the price so, I don't know if that's more than normal.

Ross

That's about twice or more than it used to be. I believe I paid about $2 or $3 or so for my last 24 oz bottle. :( It's been quite awhile, I don't use it very often.

That's about twice or more than it used to be. I believe I paid about $2 or $3 or so for my last 24 oz bottle. :( It's been quite awhile, I don't use it very often.

Ahhh. OK. I had no idea it had increased that much in price. I use a lot of it and, I suppose I just haven't paid attention.

I did notice that the miso/dashi I bought this morning was, @ $4.29 for 500g, more expensive than I'm used to.

Ross

I'm on my way to buy up all of the stored rice vinegar before the effect of those patriotic Canuck truckers takes over.

I looked at my 3 white rice vinegar bottles (700mg each) in my pantry, and the oldest (marked 1-21) was $3.29, and the others, from 9-21, were $3.49 each. The store I got them at was a Korean store, right next to my ophthalmologist, so I stocked up on a few things. Didn't go up that much in that amount of time, but I haven't been lately.

I went to Aldi today, for the first time in quite a while, and some things went up, but just as many went down in price, if they changed at all. The one that caught my attention the most was butter, which went up a dollar; fortunately, I wasn't in need of this, since I stocked up for the Christmas cookies. A number of spots were bare on the shelves, but most were well stocked. And the freezers were packed again, while last time they were almost empty.

I went to an Asian grocery store yesterday, forgetting it's just before Lunar New Year. The place was packed, but they had plenty of stock.
Coconut milk was a about 50 cents more than usual, but nothing else noticeably more expensive.

I also saw plenty of trucks on the roads here in Vancouver.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom