Why only 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream in peas soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't add the cream until the soup has been reheated and is ready to be served.

Close the blinds, lock the door and add as much cream as you like! ;)

Double the amount? Yum!

But remember... 2 things:
It will likely dilute the flavour of the peas a bit.
Adding that amount just before serving, will probably cool it more than you would like to serve it at
Plan on serving it the next day?
Reheating before adding the cream prevents separation should you accidently overheat.

Having it the same day and want the leftovers for tomorrow?
No problem, just take care with the reheating to not let it come to a boil.

Most of the thickening will come from the peas. Adding the cream will make it a little smoother and mellow the flavor of the peas.

I recommend following the recipe and testing the results. If you want more cream, reheat the soup and add more cream.

As Andy suggested,

"I recommend following the recipe and testing the results."

Most always with an untried recipe. Its kinda a common sense thing. Then, make it your own when making again.

Ross

I've never added cream to split pea soup. To get it tick enogh, add enough peas, and let them cook until broken down. The pea solids will stay suspended, and give great flavor to the soup. If the pea solids settle to the bottom, make a roux of 2 tbs. flour, and 3 tbs. butter. Let cook until blonde in color. Use excess liquid from the soup to form a thick sauce out of the roux, and add it back into the soup. This will suspend the pea solids. It's called binding the soup.

Smoked ham hocks add a wonderful flavor to pea soup. The fat, collagen, and meat from the hocks add body, flavor, and texture. The bones and cartilage add more collagen, and flavor. After the soup has simmered for an hour or so, remove the ham hock and cut all meat and fat from the bone. Dice and add back into the soup.

I've just never seen a pea soup recipe that added cream.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My bad. I hadn't looked at the recipe. I thought you were making split pea soup, when in fact, you are making cream of pea soup. The roux can still work for you, but should not be required. The amount of cream alters the texture and flavor of the soup liquid, making it silky, and adding a bit of sweetness that pairs well with the peas. The pea flavor is in the peas, not so much in the liquid. I agree with the others that you can add as much cream as you like. However, this is cream of pea soup, not peas and cream. You don't want the liquid to be cream forward as to take away from the pea flavor.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

after sitting in the fridge the soup became thicker.
at first it was too thin.
i will use 2.5 cups of liquid next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom