Why Salt Makes Things Sweeter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's more about the issue of salt processing. Yes, most salt is indeed highly refined:

From Why is There GMO Sugar In Salt??.

Your source publication describes itself as "PROPAGANDA"

Propaganda: "information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view".

Do you have any other more scientific and neutral sources of information?

Here's more about the issue of salt processing. Yes, most salt is indeed highly refined:

From Why is There GMO Sugar In Salt??

Few people realize that our salt – like our sugar, flour and vegetable oils – is highly refined; it is the product of a chemical and high-temperature industrial process that removes all the valuable magnesium salts as well as trace minerals naturally occurring in the sea. To keep salt dry, salt refiners adulterate this “pure” product with several harmful additives, including aluminum compounds. To replace the natural iodine salts that are removed during processing, potassium iodide is added in amounts that can be toxic. To stabilize the volatile iodine compound, processors add dextrose which turns the iodized salt a purplish color. A bleaching agent is then necessary to restore whiteness to the salt… Even most so-called sea salt is produced by industrial methods.

Quoted from a site that is both alarmist and paranoid. They react as if "industry" is somehow associated with evil. Yes, salt is processed. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with processing.

Are some foods we eat overprocessed? Very likely, but certainly not all of them, and none are bad when eaten in reasonable quantities.

Are all processed foods bad just because they are processed? Don't be ridiculous. You are processing foods when you cook them. Whole grain flours are processed. Unbleached flour is no better for you any other refined carbohydrate.

Processing simply makes it more useful for consumption. Without processing some of the foods we eat would be unavailable more than 100 miles from the source. Some foods would be inedible. You can determine for yourself what level of processing is okay for you, but that doesn't mean that your ideas are the only useful ones.

You believe what you like, but don't try to use those alarmist scare tactics on me.

Last edited:
Quoted from a site that is both alarmist and paranoid. They react as if "industry" is somehow associated with evil. Yes, salt is processed. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with processing.

Are some foods we eat overprocessed? Very likely, but certainly not all of them, and none are bad when eaten in reasonable quantities.

Are all processed foods bad just because they are processed? Don't be ridiculous. You are processing foods when you cook them. Whole grain flours are processed. Unbleached flour is no better for you any other refined carbohydrate.

Processing simply makes it more useful for consumption. Without processing some of the foods we eat would be unavailable more than 100 miles from the source. Some foods would be inedible. You can determine for yourself what level of processing is okay for you, but that doesn't mean that your ideas are the only useful ones.

You believe what you like, but don't try to use those alarmist scare tactics on me.
+1..

The only chemical added to table salt is iodine, which is not harmful. In fact, it's necessary for good health. Any minerals in other types of salt are miniscule and not a significant component of the diet.

And that is why I have been on thyroid pills for most of my life. I don't process the iodine. It is a very necessary element for good health.

They also sell table salt without iodine, Addie. I picked it up by mistake once or twice when I was in a hurry. Oops!

I know. I make sure because I am on thyroid medication, that I don't pick it up. My sister had a large goiter from her thyroid problems. She would have thyroid storms and iodine raced though out her system. She would get so bad that she would have to call 911 and get rushed to the hospital. I am not as bad as she was. My problem was found when I was pregnant with my first child. I have hypothyroidism.

I have often wondered and never asked if the thyroid problem runs in families. My mother also had hypothyroidism. Hers was very mild. But by the time she died, she was just starting to develop a goiter also.

Iodized salt does in fact contain dextrose, which is a crystalline form of glucose. It's right on the label. But I sure wouldn't worry about the amount that's in there - and I watch my sugar intake very closely.

I found several sources online that pretty much all say the same thing:

Dextrose, the third ingredient, is added to keep the potassium iodide from oxidizing and being lost. Dextrose, of course, is sugar. Check the salt in your cabinet at home. If it’s iodized, it almost certainly contains sugar. Morton explains that while it is chemically essential, “the amount of dextrose in salt is so small that it is dietetically insignificant… Morton® Iodized Table Salt contains 0.04 percent dextrose or 40 milligrams per 100 grams of salt.”​

Back
Top Bottom