Wild game and fish/Food banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Rugged Dude

Senior Cook
I used to live 30 miles from Thunder Bay, Ontario. Back in the 90s until about 2010, my hunting and fishing buddies and I used to bring a lot of wild hunted game and fresh-caught fish to the local food bank in Thunder Bay. Since there was a large percentage of the clientele were aboriginal, they really appreciated it. But, anyone... aboriginal or not, really pounded down the moose meat stew, roasted Canada goose and baked lake trout that we'd bring in.

We'd routinely show up with 20 Canada geese, a hind quarter of moose, some hams from a black bear or a bunch of rabbits (there was no daily bag limit on them.) And for fish... salmon from Lake Superior and northern pike and walleye from just about any local lake. They were thrilled to be able to offer their clients fresh fish!

Then, about a few years ago, we were told they can no longer accept any wild game or fish for their food bank. One day we showed up with some geese and then the kitchen manager met us outside... she felt horrible, but those were the "new rules." Any food used by the food bank had to come from a commercial source and any meat, et cetera had to be inspected by a certified official.

I really think this is ridiculous. I have NEVER heard of anyone getting sick after eating wild fish and game. But, almost every week I hear in the news of a recall from the grocery stores due to this or that... Just today, Costco, in Nova Scotia is recalling bags of frozen berries because of something ... I forget what.

Now that I live in Nova Scotia, I'm hoping that this fall (hunting season) I will in fact be allowed to drop off some great wild meat... fresh, healthy and delicious... for people in need.

RD

Last edited:
That's a shame, RD. Here, along the mighty Mississip, hunters routinely donate venison and other wild game to the food pantries and it's much appreciated.

That's a shame, RD. Here, along the mighty Mississip, hunters routinely donate venison and other wild game to the food pantries and it's much appreciated.

I hope they continue to allow that! I have friends in Alabama where there are so many deer that the state allows a hunter to harvest many animals throughout the season (at one time the limit was one deer per day per hunter for a 90 day season) and much of it goes to the local food banks.

I think I need to move to Alabama... :) They have great biscuits & gravy down there too!

RD

That IS a shame, RD. Just another example of the govt. stepping in.

Hopefully the food banks there in Nova Scotia will allow you to do that - if not, usually the local churches know of families in need.

Back
Top Bottom