Window Cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jude

Cook
Home Window Cleaner

½ C Isopropyl alcohol
½ C sudsing ammonia
½ C water
Mix together in a spray bottle

Hello Jude,

A great tip I learned when cleaning windows (& mirrors!) is to finish with newspaper. Apparently the ink dissolves any streaks and the paper absorbs any remaining moisture.

Either way, your windows will be sparkling clean! :)

Thanks Jude, I'm going to make it up and try it. I will also try the newspaper. I usually have streaked windows after a day of cleaning windows and it's pretty disappointing after spending so much time trying to get them streak clean.

jude said:
Home Window Cleaner

½ C Isopropyl alcohol
½ C sudsing ammonia
½ C water
Mix together in a spray bottle

The soap in sudsing ammonia would leave residue and streaks. Ideally, you want all volatile components. If you could substitute laboratory grade ammonium hydroxide, that would be better.

Streaky windows begone!

I add a dash of ordinary white vinegar to warm water. I also heard that you should NEVER use soap of any description on windows as it builds up a residue. Hope this helps - it has worked for me for more years than I care to remember! :oops:

Years ago I learned how to clean windows and mirrors from blind man. He used PLEDGE furniture polish - he knew that if he cleaned carefully with it there would never be any streaks he could not see. It leaves the surfaces very clean, no smudges or streaks, and no water spots. It also helps to keep bathroom mirrors from fogging. I know it wounds bizarre, but really, give it a try!

Use a brown paper bag, soaked in vinegar, and it will outperform anything you can come up with...

Likewise, if the car windshield wipers are "streaking", wipe them off carefully with the mini-packs of vinegar you get in a restaurant on a napkin, and you can extend their life for literally a year, if not two...the garage will cheerfully sell you replacement blades at $20 per each, so try this little trick of a hardened "road warrior" first....and "save your money"

Lifter

OK jude, I'm not going to believe your recipe works until you come over and try it on ALL my windows :P

FINE, be that way! ;)

I'm going to try the solution - I have used alcohol and ammonia both but not this combination. I have, however, right now (since I'm out of ammonia at the moment) going to try the Pledge trick.

A side story here - our power went out last year during an ice storm. Had the fireplace going, candles everywhere, hubby came home - I had some Mumm's chilling in a bucket, he sat down beside me and I was all ready for a romantic evening. He looks at me (facing the front of the house) and says - "do you EVER clean the windows???" - poof, end of romantic evening :( :roll:

I DON'T HAVE ANY!!!! LOL At least not on the front door and the two side lights. Boy did he know I was mad. And the simple fact that the gas fireplaces had been on for 3 days leaving a black film on the doors and ALSO if the temperature is too cold you can't wash windows anyway. And it had been cold for awhile. You'll get streaky windows no matter what if the temperature isn't high enough - I prefer to think the temperature needs to be around 85 ;) - I forget what the ideal temp is - I think it's above 58 (I could be wrong about that - but I know there is a temperature it should be higher than).

I always thought the streaks were due to it being a sunny day, not necessarily a warm one. Anyway, I just close the curtains, or pay my cleaning lady extra to do them for me.

When it's too cold they will be "foggy" AND streaky - on sunny days it's just we can see everything better!!!! So, I will keep my rose-colored glasses on and live happily ever after!

Going right now to Pledge my windows!

kitchenelf, the answer is................................NO
I thought of cleaning my windows before the cold weather gets here but what the heck it has been raining here in Indy for about a week and cold so I'm glad that I didn't waste my energy ;)

Maybe later :?:

Back
Top Bottom