Winter Meals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sushi.

i know, you're thinking "sushi as a winter food?"

but you can leave it in the car for a while and it'll still be good to eat. so there.

any excuse to eat sushi. :)

"Leave it in the car for awhile"? Ugh! Winter or summer, I consider sushi a very sensory experience. No "leave it in the car for awhile" for me thank you very much.

I never really thought of food being seasonal. I always make what I feel like making, regardless of the season.;)

In the winter, I like anything that's cooked low and slow. Something that fills the whole house with wonderful aromas. Hearty soups, stews, gumbos ect... Also roasts such as a beef rib roast or a roast pork shoulder or nothing is better than a simple baked chicken on a cold Sunday evening. I also seem to like greens better when it's cold outside. Kale or collard greens cooked with a smoked ham hock or two.

sushi.

i know, you're thinking "sushi as a winter food?"

but you can leave it in the car for a while and it'll still be good to eat. so there.

any excuse to eat sushi. :)

I'm with you on that one! We ate sushi the other night...went out...ate the rest on the way home! Superb!

"Leave it in the car for awhile"? Ugh! Winter or summer, I consider sushi a very sensory experience. No "leave it in the car for awhile" for me thank you very much.

awww, you're crushing my mellow, breezy. i guess i eat sushi so often, it's become a less special event than when you get to have it.

what i meant was that i wouldn't even consider leaving it in a car for a minute when it's hot out in the summer, but winter is more forgiving.

Europeany things:

Beef bourguignon
Choucroute garnie (pork, sauerkraut, wine, sausage,potatoes, etc.)I use a recipe from Anthony Bourdain.
Casssoulet (similar, but with beans instead of kraut)Same guy.

Fabada (Spanish version of cassoulet)
Paella Espania ( I cheat and use arborio rice)

Sauerbraten (great with venison - you wouldn't know it was game)

Actually, we here in the hinterlands of Virginia can enjoy absolutely terrific top-rate sushi as often as we like. Have several wonderful Japanese restaurants within a 10-mile radius - one of which serves sushi that is as good - if not better - than anything I ever had in NY.

I look forward to cold weather cooking so I can prepare short ribs and oxtails more often.

Even though you say you've made plenty of soups, there are tons and tons of different soups out there. I have Barbara Kafka's book, Soup, and would love to cook my way through it.

Made a huge pot of pinto bean and smoked ham hock soup last night. My creation. No recipe. The smell of the smoked ham hock and the bay leaves made the house smell heavenly.

Oooh - & speaking of soup, how could I have left out my favorite - a nice big piping hot bowl of Onion Soup Gratinee. A rich broth redolent of caramlelized onions & Cognac topped with baguette slices & a thick topping of melted gruyere, parmesan, & swiss cheeses. Accompanied by a nice crisp green salad & you have a winter meal for the Gods!:)

Ooooh, short ribs! That sounds so good right now. I've never made them. Do you have a recipe or technique or tips you could share, Katie?

Terry, I have more than a dozen short ribs recipes, all or most of which would fall under the copyright rule, and they are all delicious.

I emailed a 40 cloves of garlic one to Uncle Bob who loved it. I have a recipe that has the ribs cooking in dark stout. Really good. There's a barbecue one. More I can't remember off the top of my head. There are some done in the crock-pot, which is convenient and produces a day-long aroma that is just too tantalizing.

Oooh - & speaking of soup, how could I have left out my favorite - a nice big piping hot bowl of Onion Soup Gratinee. A rich broth redolent of caramlelized onions & Cognac topped with baguette slices & a thick topping of melted gruyere, parmesan, & swiss cheeses. Accompanied by a nice crisp green salad & you have a winter meal for the Gods!:)
:) OH, Baby you are so right on that one I love french onion soup I love it in the summer but winter makes it extra special I need it to be really hot so I can eat it slow as to savor it as long as possible especially the melted cheese.

:) To me winter dishes have to do with root vegetables and all the other winter foods available like squash, potatoes and other foods that are dried, stored or preserved in some other way plus the fact that cranking up the stove to add heat to the house as opposed to summer, also long cooked foods like stew and a lot of baked goods. So I think casseroles, roasts, gratins and other baked dishes along with soups and beans Summer meals are usually lighter and involve fresh produce. Of course I know we get plenty fresh produce now in the winter but in the old days people did not have that choice and probably needed the exrta calories to do the outdoor chores etc.

I wish you'd send me some meatloaf. I've been craving it, but DH keeps changing the menu, and since he does almost all the actual cooking, I usually go along with him.

We do eat some assorted soups, stews and casseroles in the winter, which I love, but we basically eat whatever we're craving at the moment.

By the way, if you need any comfort food recipes, let me know. I have meals that will give you hugs.

Terry, I have more than a dozen short ribs recipes, all or most of which would fall under the copyright rule, and they are all delicious.

I emailed a 40 cloves of garlic one to Uncle Bob who loved it. I have a recipe that has the ribs cooking in dark stout. Really good. There's a barbecue one. More I can't remember off the top of my head. There are some done in the crock-pot, which is convenient and produces a day-long aroma that is just too tantalizing.
Thanks, Katie, for pointing me in the right direction. I found a couple of great looking recipes for the slow-cooker that will be perfect for me. I'll let you know how I do.:)

roast a ham with bone and then do a split pea soup or navy bean soup with the bone and leavings.

Stuffed cabbage or peppers. Do a boiled dinner (either picnic ham or corned beef)

Pot roast, pot pies, Roast chicken with stuffing and all the extras. Mac and cheese.

All kinds of options for you.

Sage chicken stew is my favourite, closely followed by a hearty lasagne.

- one of which serves sushi that is as good - if not better - than anything I ever had in NY.

you may have gone to crappy places when you were here.

getting back to something lezzy frigid, winter: i just watched alton's show on coq au vin last night. that's a definite one.

(lol, of course i meant the conversation, not breezy)

and i was looking at lamb's neck int the store the other day; reminded me of daube provencal (lamb's neck stew, provence style.). yum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom