Wontons - what type of Fold easiest to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The easiest, IMHO, is with the bottom folded half way up, and the sides folded to the center. This creates a little handle at the top that makes biting the wonton easy to eat, compact and tasty. This is best for fried wontons. For wonton soup, I prefer folding all sides to the middle, then letting the little pillows air dry on a cooling rack for ten minutes to allow the edges to glue together before immersing in the broth.

Other's ideas will differ from mine. For presentation, like when making crab rangoons. I bring all corners together in a peak above the filling, then deep fry.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If it is in a soup, I prefer the flatter shapes because, those are easier to cut with a spoon. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm not going to stuff the whole thing in my mouth at once anyways. I'll pick it up with chops sticks and take a bite at a time.

For soup - Won Ton Soup - it has to be the envelope shape. To me, that defines the soup.

Like taxy, I rarely stuff the whole thing in my mouth - don't think it has anything to do with the size of your mouth, I prefer to make two bites out of it.
Unless my soup has a lot of extras in it aside from the Won Ton's I use a traditional Chinese Won Ton Soup Spoon. If there are lots of extra's like bok choy, etc I will use chop sticks. In either case - two bites.

Aside from ravioli style - I found the envelope the easiest to master.

Then there's the pouch style - I do those with round wrappers and pleating the front piece to the back. But this I do for steaming and frying. Also easy to master and also, for me, definitely a two bite yummy!

There's a type of Won Ton that we make in Hawaii (I've never
seen it anywhere else) that we call Crispy Gau Gee.

DSC06905.JPG

DSC06906.JPG

DSC06907.JPG

There'd fried Two-Biters of goodness, served with noodles
rather than with Soup.

I make these for Chinese New Year, along with the
other 7 Lucky Foods. But if only these two,
we're good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom