"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 372
Worth taking the risk? Refrigerator door accidentally left open.

forgot to close the door of refrigerator for about 2 hours. Eggs are imported from Japan and supposed to be kept between 0 to 4 degree C. They are really nice eggs. But looks like it is advised to toss them after 2 hours of taking out to the room temperature if they are supposed to be kept chilled. What do you think?

How about boiling the whole eggs together with the outer shell for 10 minutes? Will it be safer because the whole shell is also boiled.

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 49,234
Was the door open all the way or just slightly. Keep in mind the refrigerator will run longer to keep the temperature inside at the right level. So it's not as if the refrigerator stopped working, it was working extra hard.

I would assume everything is still good.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:03 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Caracas
Posts: 1,317
Personally, I wouldn´t throw them out after such a short time - and they were still in the fridge, even though the door was open.
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 11,990
Eggs do not need to be refrigerated.
__________________
The older I get, the harder it is to tolerate STUPID!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 28,038
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Boiled eggs don't keep as long as raw ones.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:10 AM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Was the door open all the way or just slightly. Keep in mind the refrigerator will run longer to keep the temperature inside at the right level. So it's not as if the refrigerator stopped working, it was working extra hard.

I would assume everything is still good.
The door was open just slightly but a lot of water was already seen to condense on different containers and my can of coke was not cold anymore when I found the problem so I believe most food inside went up to more than 20 degree c already. The eggs are still kept there now , waiting for decision.

What is the best way of cooking them in order to be more safe? I used to fry scramble eggs so this is not my option now for these eggs
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:11 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 5,348
Its no issue. Use the food as if it never happened.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:07 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 49,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
The door was open just slightly but a lot of water was already seen to condense on different containers and my can of coke was not cold anymore when I found the problem so I believe most food inside went up to more than 20 degree c already. The eggs are still kept there now , waiting for decision.

What is the best way of cooking them in order to be more safe? I used to fry scramble eggs so this is not my option now for these eggs
kenny, you don't have to take any special steps. The eggs are safe to eat cooked any way you like.

In many parts of the world, eggs are not refrigerated at all. So two hours with the door slightly open is NOT AN ISSUE. Relax and enjoy your eggs.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:25 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 28,038
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
kenny, you don't have to take any special steps. The eggs are safe to eat cooked any way you like.

In many parts of the world, eggs are not refrigerated at all. So two hours with the door slightly open is NOT AN ISSUE. Relax and enjoy your eggs.
I agree.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I agree.
So do I.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:50 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
kenny, you don't have to take any special steps. The eggs are safe to eat cooked any way you like.

In many parts of the world, eggs are not refrigerated at all. So two hours with the door slightly open is NOT AN ISSUE. Relax and enjoy your eggs.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...for#shelf-life

Looks like it depends on where the egg is produced and processed.
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:44 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 49,234
The article you linked is for hard cooked eggs. I understand yours are raw.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:45 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waterdown, Ontario
Posts: 6,872
Kenny, I say this with a gentle nudge, you first asked on the 3rd, today is the 8th. So cook those eggs however you wanted to and be done with it.



Answers will change with time! Don't over think this and don't work yourself into a tizzy! LOL - no matter the decision you make... I'm pretty sure it will be the right one!
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:17 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NYC
Posts: 231
Yes, I would take the risk. The fridge must have compensated to keep everything cold by working harder.
HeyItsSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Kenny, I say this with a gentle nudge, you first asked on the 3rd, today is the 8th. So cook those eggs however you wanted to and be done with it.



Answers will change with time! Don't over think this and don't work yourself into a tizzy! LOL - no matter the decision you make... I'm pretty sure it will be the right one!
The eggs have not yet expired, and I don't urgently need to eat an egg. Then, why not asking?
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.