Yay for experimentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I'll be the first to admit that my culinary habits aren't popular, but I'm the only one who is responsible for me and I'm happy with my diet. I've been through medical school, I know what I'm doing :)

As the saying goes, "Whatever turns your stomach." :angel:

Well none of us knows what this would taste like, do we? Most of the objections are because it is rendered into a paste but Chief Longwind Of The North recognises that this can be tasty, as do I. The phrase "don't knock it until you've tried it" springs to mind.

Greasy, garlicky, sour with bitterness thrown in from the the green pepper all in a sticky weird colored paste. Not a flavor profile I would come up with.

Well none of us knows what this would taste like, do we? Most of the objections are because it is rendered into a paste but Chief Longwind Of The North recognises that this can be tasty, as do I. The phrase "don't knock it until you've tried it" springs to mind.

Yes, it's a wonderful phrase. I have a couple friends who use that phrase quite a bit, but can never seem to take their own advice.

Yes, it's a wonderful phrase. I have a couple friends who use that phrase quite a bit, but can never seem to take their own advice.

What everyone here seems to be forgetting is that you don't have to process things to a paste in a blender, or food processor. Think salsa, or chicken salad, with little chunks of textural goodness. Thin of ham salad texture with crunchy bits of onion, pickle, and ham, all brought together with a creamy salad dressing.

I don't know how long ardchille processed the ingredients, do you? And in any case, he likes it. How can we judge him on that. I surely like things that others don't, and others like things that I don't. That doesn't mean that either is wrong. It just means that we are different.

DC has always been based on tolerance, on learning and growing from sharing our experiences in cooking, good and bad. Let us be the example of what is right with DC, not bring anyone down or unfairly judge another.

Ardchoille I still support you. Thanks, Creative, for your support as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I'm not judging him. I'm saying that blending a bunch of ingredients is not appealing to me. I don't do smoothies or juice veggies. I've tried it and I prefer other preparations.

In addition, from other posts, ardchoille comes across as a bit, um, condescending. That puts me off.

Chief, I'm not judging him. I'm saying that blending a bunch of ingredients is not appealing to me. I don't do smoothies or juice veggies. I've tried it and I prefer other preparations.

In addition, from other posts, ardchoille comes across as a bit, um, condescending. That puts me off.

I don't mean to come across as condescending, I'm told it's one of the hazards of earning multiple doctorate degrees.

To everyone who views my posts as condescending, it is purely unintentional and I apologize. This is something of constant work for me and I do try.

What everyone here seems to be forgetting is that you don't have to process things to a paste in a blender, or food processor. Think salsa, or chicken salad, with little chunks of textural goodness. Thin of ham salad texture with crunchy bits of onion, pickle, and ham, all brought together with a creamy salad dressing.

I don't know how long ardchille processed the ingredients, do you? And in any case, he likes it. How can we judge him on that. I surely like things that others don't, and others like things that I don't. That doesn't mean that either is wrong. It just means that we are different.

DC has always been based on tolerance, on learning and growing from sharing our experiences in cooking, good and bad. Let us be the example of what is right with DC, not bring anyone down or unfairly judge another.

Ardchoille I still support you. Thanks, Creative, for your support as well.

You make a very good point about texture. I have a Magic Bullet blender and I gave my chicken spread a few pulses. This yielded a texture similar to chunky salsa rather than a smooth paste.

And, thank you for your support :)

I don't mean to come across as condescending, I'm told it's one of the hazards of earning multiple doctorate degrees.

To everyone who views my posts as condescending, it is purely unintentional and I apologize. This is something of constant work for me and I do try.

Calling me brain-washed was pretty intentional.

Er...back on topic!!

Experimenting, like improvising, can yield some good results! I suppose the trick is remembering what you did (if it included many techniques/ingredients).

I guess most of us would improvise on making a stew/casserole, i.e. not follow a recipe. Baked things like cakes etc are less adaptable to being messed about with though I find. Bread pudding is fairly easy to improvise on though.

Last edited:
Er...back on topic!!

Experimenting, like improvising, can yield some good results! I suppose the trick is remembering what you did (if it included many techniques/ingredients).

I guess most of us would improvise on making a stew/casserole, i.e. not follow a recipe. Baked things like cakes etc are less adaptable to being messed about with though I find. Bread pudding is fairly easy to improvise on though.

I learned a lesson from an experimental recipe that I did record, as to me and P.A.G. and her hubby, it was wonderful. I called the recipe - Smoldering Chicken. What I learned yet again is that just because I love a particular recipe, not everyone's tastes are the same.

I made the Smoldering Chicken Recipe for the people I'm staying with last night, sticking to the recipe exactly. I thought it was wonderful. It wasn't as well received by my host, a bit too spicy. But, he loved the concept and stated that he would be making it for himself and his sweet wife (She's visiting grandkids right now). But when he makes it, he will make the chicken marinade from milder hot sauces than I used. So, he will experiment a little with a known recipe, and tailor it to their liking. To me, that's a wonderful thing, and is something I do all the time.

Calling me brain-washed was pretty intentional.

GG, his choice of words can be condescending at times. And I too bristle when someone is insulting me. I know though, that I have been guilty of such things, especially when i feel attacked. He is passionate about his experiment and offered it in the hopes that others could gain from his experience. If you look back from page one of this thread, you will see nothing but negativity.

Yes, his response was wrong, but he is trying to apologize. That opens the door for us to forgive, and then learn the value of each other.

You are a great friend, and a great person. Let that part of you shine through.

Last edited:
GG, his choice of words can be condescending at times. And I too bristle when someone is insulting me. I know though, that I have been guilty of such things, especially when i feel attacked. He is passionate about his experiment and offered it in the hopes that others could gain from his experience. If you look back from page one of this thread, you will see nothing but negativity.

Yes, his response was wrong, but he is trying to apologize. That opens the door for us to forgive, and then learn the value of each other.

You are a great friend, and a great person. Let that part of you shine through.

It's hard to resist such a lovely appeal to one's better nature :) Thank you, Chief.

If you look back from page one of this thread, you will see nothing but negativity.

I hold membership in around 50 different forums and DC is the only place I have a problem with this. If the problem were with me I would have this issue everywhere, but that simply isn't the case. I'm guessing that the root cause of this problem is that I'm different, and some folks csnmot handle those who are different. But, I digress.

I hold membership in around 50 different forums and DC is the only place I have a problem with this. If the problem were with me I would have this issue everywhere, but that simply isn't the case. I'm guessing that the root cause of this problem is that I'm different, and some folks csnmot handle those who are different. But, I digress.
Yes my experience is similar, i.e. that I am on several other forums (not 50!) and only here is there a discernible problem with certain members. I accept my views may differ from the norm but, I was told, it may also be due to hailing from the UK. Oh well...
dontknow.gif

(I am actually very popular elsewhere so it is a puzzle).
eusa_think.gif

If you're not mature enough to accept an apology that is not my concern. I'll just have to place you on my ignore list with the others and move on. Life is too short.
I'm going to assume that you hadn't read the following when you wrote that.
It's hard to resist such a lovely appeal to one's better nature :) Thank you, Chief.

If you're not mature enough to accept an apology that is not my concern. I'll just have to place you on my ignore list with the others and move on. Life is too short.

And now the tables have turned. Now it's Got Garlic who is trying to change her attitude and accept the apology.

Let's not take personal jabs at each other. Give each other a chance. you might find that GG can be a really great friend, if you give her a chance. And yes, as you admitted, you can be a bit over the top. Dial it back just a little.

I've learned some great perspective as my DW nearly died. Moments of life, and friends are to be treasured. And the support you can get from those you have given to can sustain you through ridiculously hard times. Don't ever cross out a potential friend. We all need each other, either to give of ourselves, or to receive when we need help.

Ardchoille, you started this thread in the hopes that you share something of value with others. Share your own acceptance of others, in spite of the challenges that have taken place. You will grow from it, and everyone will grow from it. This is an important lesson I have learned from holding grudges for too long, or from being insensitive to others, or from being too prideful. Making the changes make your life richer, and more enjoyable, and also helps make the lives of those you love and care for better as well. It's taken me almost 60 years to learn the lessons, and become who I am, and I still have a long ways to go. Don't re-invent the wheel. Rather, look at the wheel I've constructed, and learn from it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom