Yay for experimentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ardchoille

Senior Cook
I came home from the gym tired and hungry. Knowing that I needed some protein after a long run, I decided to throw some baked chicken breast, spinach, pickle slice, tomato slice, peperoncini rings, hummus, diced red onion, and green pepper ring into the blender. I used the same proportions that one would use if making a sandwich. It all goes to the same place anyway, right? The result was a very nice sandwich spread and didn't taste any different than if I had made a sandwich from the same ingredients. I'll have to do this more often :)

The ingredients sound good, but I'm wondering why you didn't just make a sandwich or a wrap...?

+1, Cheryl. I like the texture of food as well as the flavors. I don't think this is something I would enjoy.

Last edited:
How did you eat this "spread"? With a spoon? Or did you put it between two slices of bread?

How did you eat this "spread"? With a spoon? Or did you put it between two slices of bread?

That's what I was wondering. A 'sandwich spread' implies a filling between 2 slices of bread.

GG, I'm with you on texture - that's an important part of food enjoyment to me.

Last edited:
The ingredients sound good, but I'm wondering why you didn't just make a sandwich or a wrap...?

I didn't have anything with which to make a sandwich or wrap, so I just ate it with a spoon. Texture isn't really important to me, I just need the nutrients to arrive at their intended destination :)

I usually make my own wheat bread but I hadn't done so lately.

Last edited:
I didn't have anything with which to make a sandwich or wrap, so I just ate it with a spoon. Texture isn't really important to me, I just need the nutrients to arrive at their intended destination :)

Just goes to show....to each their own, ardchoille. :) I would have chopped up those same lovely ingredients and made a delightfully crunchy salad, instead of baby food. Just my opinion, though.

Last edited:

There are those who think I'm a crazy man for enjoying an occasional potted meat sandwich, with the potted meat mixed with Miracle Whip, and sweet pickle relish. There are those that think potted meat is the most gross thing on the planet. Know what I think about that? I don't really care. I like it and that's good enough.

I like chicken salad sandwiches, and truth be told, I do like baked, broiled, fried, grilled, or barbecue chicken better, with the bone on, but not in a sandwich. If my chicken is in a sandwich, I prefer it to be chicken salad, or spread. And yes, all of you are correct. Texture is important. I like the texture of chicken salad, and egg salad, and tuna mixed with Miracle whip and minced onion, with mustard and sweet pickle relish. These foods were what I was raised on, to an extent.

There is room for all of us to be happy for someone finding something they enjoy. So to you, ardchoille, I say kudos, and happy eating. (I've been known to eat potted meat straight out of the can, with a spoon, but don't tell anyone. Yeh, I eat canned sardines as well.rue omnivore. I'm a true omnivore.:LOL:)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Just goes to show....to each their own, ardchoille. :) I would have chopped up those same lovely ingredients and made a delightfully crunchy salad, instead of baby food. Just my opinion, though.
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion:)

There are those who think I'm a crazy man for enjoying an occasional potted meat sandwich, with the potted meat mixed with Miracle Whip, and sweet pickle relish. There are those that think potted meat is the most gross thing on the planet. Know what I think about that? I don't really care. I like it and that's good enough.

I like chicken salad sandwiches, and truth be told, I do like baked, broiled, fried, grilled, or barbecue chicken better, with the bone on, but not in a sandwich. If my chicken is in a sandwich, I prefer it to be chicken salad, or spread. And yes, all of you are correct. Texture is important. I like the texture of chicken salad, and egg salad, and tuna mixed with Miracle whip and minced onion, with mustard and sweet pickle relish. These foods were what I was raised on, to an extent.

There is room for all of us to be happy for someone finding something they enjoy. So to you, ardchoille, I say kudos, and happy eating. (I've been known to eat potted meat straight out of the can, with a spoon, but don't tell anyone. Yeh, I eat canned sardines as well.rue omnivore. I'm a true omnivore.:LOL:)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thank you very much :)

I think it is important to chew food. It mixes it with saliva and starts the digestive process. It also seems to be more satisfying when chewed sufficiently, helping to prevent overeating. It may signal the rest of the digestive tract to get ready to get to work.

Well, ardchoille, if you're going just for nutrition and don't care about texture or flavor, it looks like this creation has that down pat. If YOU'RE satisfied, fine. So I guess your dinner invite to all of us for tomorrow is off, right? ;)

+1, Cheryl. I like the texture of food as well as the flavors. I don't think this is something I would enjoy.
I know it's something I would not enjoy, GG. I, too, like the different textures. I also like to taste the flavor of individual foods on their own. I'm not against a bowl of stew or soup or salad, but if I'm eating chicken I don't want the flavor to get muddied with every other ingredient. I would have gone Cheryl's salad route if I didn't have bread on hand.

I mentioned this culinary experiment to Himself. His comment was "that forum is "Discuss Cooking, not Disgust Cooking". Looks like I won't be blending his suppers until his teeth fall out. Or never.

I think it is important to chew food. It mixes it with saliva and starts the digestive process. It also seems to be more satisfying when chewed sufficiently, helping to prevent overeating. It may signal the rest of the digestive tract to get ready to get to work.
Taxy, what you say is true. And I chew the bites of a chicken salad sandwich. Granted, sometimes I eat such things with a spoon, without the bread. But it's a rare thing. I think I eat enough food that requires chewing, even substantial chewing, to eat something that doesn't require it, like maybe some good pudding, or ice cream, or chocolate that I let melt in my cheek before washing over my tongue. Some people chew their Tootsie Pops. I sucked on mine, right to the tootsie roll center.

I'm sure we all eat things that aren't meeting the food police requirements all of the time. Normally, my food is well made, nutritious, and has a texture that invites pleasure from chewing. But once in a while, I like something to just slide across my tongue, smooth and silky.

I'm not saying that everything should be made into baby food, but we need to lift each other up here on DC, and celebrate new things that people have discovered. Imagine if no one ever took liver, butter, or fat, and seasonings, and blended them together. We would not have liver pate. Experimenting is essential to good cooking. Sometimes it gives great results, sometimes we just learn what not to do.

Again, be happy for the op who has found something he enjoys through his experiments.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

TL, after I had my gastro surgery, I was told I would never get hunger pains. The surgeon severed all the nerves that would tell me when I was hungry. He severed the Vargus nerve. And he was right. I would go three or more days and not think of eating. And then I would (what I thought) would tell myself that I was hungry. But I couldn't be. What it was is that I missed the act of chewing. I missed having texture in my mouth. Once I had a meal that required me to chew all the food on the plate, I felt satisfied. I still have to remind myself to eat. But not because I am hungry, but because I want to feel the texture of the food and to chew. :angel:

Oh, I'll be the first to admit that my culinary habits aren't popular, but I'm the only one who is responsible for me and I'm happy with my diet. I've been through medical school, I know what I'm doing :)

Last edited:
Oh, I'll be the first to admit that my culinary habits aren't popular, but I'm the only one who is responsible for me and I'm happy with my diet. I've been through medical school, I know what I'm doing :)

With all due respect, ardchoille...it's not that your culinary habits aren't 'popular' or that you aren't responsible for your own diet....we all are. I wouldn't mind seeing cites from your medical school training that confirms that grinding up food is better than eating food in it's whole state....

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing cites from your medical school training that confirms that grinding up food is better than eating food in it's whole state....

I do not recall making any such statement. Perhaps you're seeing what you want to see instead of what is written?

Last edited:
Gross. We eat with our eyes and our sense of smell before the food hits our taste buds. I can't imagine the end result was visually appealing. I go for texture, taste, nutritional balance, and visual appeal when I cook. I am a protein junky--a couple of hb eggs satisfy my protein cravings. A spinach salad with chicken would've been my choice.

Gross. We eat with our eyes and our sense of smell before the food hits our taste buds. I can't imagine the end result was visually appealing. I go for texture, taste, nutritional balance, and visual appeal when I cook. I am a protein junky--a couple of hb eggs satisfy my protein cravings. A spinach salad with chicken would've been my choice.

You might think it is gross, but trolls consider it a delicacy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom